Top Ten Best Fighters of All-Time?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In your opinion, who are the top ten best fighters of all-time? Here is my personal list:

1. Bob Probert

2. Dave Brown

3. Behn Wilson

4. Larry Playfair

5. Joey Kocur

6. Tony Twist

7. Bob Nystrom

8. Marty McSorley

9. Bob "Battleship" Kelly

10. Donald Brashear

Am I the only one that thinks Larry Robinson should be on here somewhere or at least entertained as such? He destroyed Schultz in a fight and while he didn't fight as much as the likes of Probert a lot of that was the Gordie Howe factor, players just didn't want to test him.

Pound for pound guys would be Wendel Clark and Stan Jonathan. I think there is footage of Clark actually LOSING a fight against Probert but honestly that's all I can see of him losing. He never lost. He creamed Neely pretty good too. Jonathan never seemed to lose either, no matter how much bigger the other guy was (Pierre Bouchard).

I don't know if Wayne Cashman belongs on the list with these heavyweights so much because he didn't always destroy guys into mush like some of these guys, but he didn't really lose either. Gary Howatt in that 1980 bench clearing brawl gave him a sucker punch right on the jaw and that just triggered Cashman and Howatt got his lunch handed to him.

A couple other names to ponder. O'Reilly and Ray. Both the same style. Like caged animals. Didn't care if they got hit, they just left themselves open but used that to throw some really hard and wild punches. Could throw them with anyone.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Good call on Robinson. When he got mad, look out. Clark and Jonathan were tough as nails, Clark having the advantage of being a more solid player. Cashman and O'Reilly were your typical Bruins forwards whose heart led them to wear the "C".
Bringing up Ray is going to lead to a conversation that fits McSorely as well; that being was either of them as effective once the tie down rule went into effect. Both were good fighters who would shed jerseys faster than a sailor does his paycheck in a liberty port, to get the advantage in a fight.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Am I the only one that thinks Larry Robinson should be on here somewhere or at least entertained as such? He destroyed Schultz in a fight and while he didn't fight as much as the likes of Probert a lot of that was the Gordie Howe factor, players just didn't want to test him.

Pound for pound guys would be Wendel Clark and Stan Jonathan. I think there is footage of Clark actually LOSING a fight against Probert but honestly that's all I can see of him losing. He never lost. He creamed Neely pretty good too. Jonathan never seemed to lose either, no matter how much bigger the other guy was (Pierre Bouchard).

I don't know if Wayne Cashman belongs on the list with these heavyweights so much because he didn't always destroy guys into mush like some of these guys, but he didn't really lose either. Gary Howatt in that 1980 bench clearing brawl gave him a sucker punch right on the jaw and that just triggered Cashman and Howatt got his lunch handed to him.

A couple other names to ponder. O'Reilly and Ray. Both the same style. Like caged animals. Didn't care if they got hit, they just left themselves open but used that to throw some really hard and wild punches. Could throw them with anyone.
How many fights did Robinson have, though? His reputation seems to entirely stem from that video with him handling Schultz and the fact that he was a big, scary looking guy. However, I don't remember hearing about him frequently fighting the toughest guys of his era like Gillies, Wilson, Nystrom, Playfair, Fotiu, etc. That wasn't really his role. I can't put him anyone near the top 10.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Good call on Robinson. When he got mad, look out. Clark and Jonathan were tough as nails, Clark having the advantage of being a more solid player. Cashman and O'Reilly were your typical Bruins forwards whose heart led them to wear the "C".
Bringing up Ray is going to lead to a conversation that fits McSorely as well; that being was either of them as effective once the tie down rule went into effect. Both were good fighters who would shed jerseys faster than a sailor does his paycheck in a liberty port, to get the advantage in a fight.
Meh. Rob Ray's win/loss record is very unimpressive. He actually became a better fighter later on in his career, after the jersey shedding crap ended.

Ray was, however, one of the hardest punchers in NHL history and probably KO'd or TKO'd more guys than anyone not named Kocur.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Meh. Rob Ray's win/loss record is very unimpressive. He actually became a better fighter later on in his career, after the jersey shedding crap ended.

Ray was, however, one of the hardest punchers in NHL history and probably KO'd or TKO'd more guys than anyone not named Kocur.

Yes he did. Ray was just wild when he fought. He didn't care if he got clocked, he just wanted to make sure his hands were free to do the clocking. Remember when he pummelled that fan who came onto the ice?

How many fights did Robinson have, though? His reputation seems to entirely stem from that video with him handling Schultz and the fact that he was a big, scary looking guy. However, I don't remember hearing about him frequently fighting the toughest guys of his era like Gillies, Wilson, Nystrom, Playfair, Fotiu, etc. That wasn't really his role. I can't put him anyone near the top 10.

Yeah, not a lot. He averaged about 1.5 fights per year. Much of that in the 1970s. Probably hard to put him on the top 10 without a high volume of fights. he could fight, there is no doubt, but it might stem a bit more from "don't test him" type of thing.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Yes he did. Ray was just wild when he fought. He didn't care if he got clocked, he just wanted to make sure his hands were free to do the clocking. Remember when he pummelled that fan who came onto the ice?

I do but even Pierre Turgeon would have pummeled that guy. :)

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Only go with the ones I watched but...

1. Boogaard

2. Larauque

3. Brashear (He fell off hard in the last few years of his career)

4. Probert (Not higher because he admitted to having issues with BGL and Huggy Bear in his book)

5. Twist

6. Mcgrattan

7. Mcsorely

8. Domi

9. Odjick

10. Grimson just because that last name is badass.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Bob Probert
Dave Brown
Dave "the Hammer" Schultz
Dave Semenko
Derek "the Boogeyman" Boogaard
Dave "Tiger" Williams
George Laraque
Marty McSorley
Donald Brashear
Terry O'Reilly

Gillies regularly was better than Terry O Head to head . Not every time but more than half . Nice list

Reactions: coupe93

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Here’s a name which predates all of us, Red Horner of the 1930’s Leafs. Horner led the league in penalty minutes seven seasons and retired as the all time league leader in career penalty minutes. Many of his minutes were for fighting.

The reason I know about him is that my late father played on a team coached by Horner in the forties. He said that Horner used to laugh about his penalty totals and claimed that they were so high because he had to finish the fights that his imp like defense partner, King Clancy, started with his mouth.

Horner was much more than a goon, however. He served as Captain of the Leafs late in his career and was inducted in 1965 into the Hall of Fame.

I have no idea where Horner would rate all time but thought I would add this historical note.

Reactions: Puck Dogg

goal1228

Jun 17, 2009
The poster who mentioned Stan Johnathon is right on ! Tough lil s o b for sure. The Islanders had a tough little dude around the same era as well, name escapes me at the moment.

A few others that come to mind are..... Nick Fotiu and Mel Bridgeman
Gary howatt?

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Why no love for Tie Domi in some of these lists. Guy is 5 ft 8 with his head making up those 8 inches and was always fighting guys way larger than him. Should atleast be number 10 fellas.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit

I do agree with you, and Lucic should be in this top 10 heavyweights--he's one tough customer--maybe in the top 6, and bring down one of them in there right now.

I'm also going to have to disagree with this. Lucic is definitely a tough dude but the competition in the game during his career just hasn't been there, for the most part.

I'd even rate Shanahan higher than Lucic. I honestly think that Shanahan would've had more wins than losses against Lucic in a 10 fight series.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Gillies regularly was better than Terry O Head to head . Not every time but more than half . Nice list

I looked up the scorecard for these two. They fought 4 times and split 2-2 according to hockey fights. Which is usually a good parameter for judging wins and losses.

Found an interesting quote from Dave Shultz (who is sadly being underrated on this thread). Claiming O’Reilly was the better fighter over Gillies. Conversely, Stan Jonathan claims Gillies punched the hardest. If anything, I call the O’Reilly vs Gillies debate, a draw.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I looked up the scorecard for these two. They fought 4 times and split 2-2 according to hockey fights. Which is usually a good parameter for judging wins and losses.

Found an interesting quote from Dave Shultz (who is sadly being underrated on this thread). Claiming O’Reilly was the better fighter over Gillies. Conversely, Stan Jonathan claims Gillies punched the hardest. If anything, I call the O’Reilly vs Gillies debate, a draw.

Without looking it up I think Gillies never had 100 Pims in any season. For me he was most feared . At home games when things would get chippy Gillies would come over the boards after a whistle and the audio guy upstairs would play theme from Jaws.
Used to make me sit up on the edge of my seat or stand and get goose bumps every tine. You just knew sheriff Jethro would make it all better. Nice post above. Well done .

Reactions: BarnumEffect

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Without looking it up I think Gillies never had 100 Pims in any season. For me he was most feared . At home games when things would get chippy Gillies would come over the boards after a whistle and the audio guy upstairs would play theme from Jaws.
Used to make me sit up on the edge of my seat or stand and get goose bumps every tine. You just knew sheriff Jethro would make it all better. Nice post above. Well done .

All true about Gillies. Small FYI - O’Reilly was my favorite player growing up and I had irrational hate for Gillies and the Isles during those days. It’s truly a great compliment and respect from me to call it a draw between the two, which I objectively think that is a fair assessment. They were both nasty f***ers and tremendous fighters.

If you provoked Gillies, you lost the game and got bloodied.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Gordie Howe was feared that few player fought him.
Recently I thought Derek Boogaard was about the best. He hurt people, made guys woozy. With his long reach he would grab them with his left hand hand and pull them towards his body....only to meet this massive right hand.
Bob Probert, Clark Gillies, Stan Jonathan. Brendan Shanahan.
Tie Domi fought often and lost few. Lots of draws. Probert said he hated fighting Domi because punching Domi in the head was like hitting a bowling bowl.

ScrewParros

Oct 30, 2018
Lol nobody even mentioning Derek " Boogeyman " Boogaard who broke peoples faces in 6 places with one punch. Guys had steel plates in their face because of him.

Rogue Winger

Mar 10, 2018
As for top-5 fighters, I pretty much agree with Barry Melrose, except changing O'Reilly to Dave Brown (era bias for me) .

Bob Probert (The best overall. In his prime fought everybody and if he somehow lost, avenged it next time.)
Dave Brown (Probably the most feared goon and enforcer of his time. Dirty and mean as hell with a killer left.)
Joe Kocur (Hardest KO punch power. Broke orbital bones and even helmets with his fists.)
Marty McSorley (The ugly way he ended his career is not a factor here. One of the toughest ever and was always ready to go. Was a smarter (in a nasty way) in his enforcer role than people give him credit for.)
Clark Gillies (Did not see him, except in some clips. Decided to trust stories of some old timers, so this is a very serious top5 ranking!)

Another 5 from out of the blue:

Tony Twist (A steroid monster who for a short time was considered as the best in the league by many. )
Terry O'Reilly (Could be the best of 70's era)
Derek Boogaard (probably the best of his time)
Georges Laraque (-"-)
Gordie Howe (Apparently did not fight much, but many claim he was the most feared player without gloves too)

Last edited:

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Not the best or even top 10 but I always loved Shane Churla. Undersized HW who was always game.

Gotta laugh at the Lindros mentions. Big and strong but just an above average fighter. Hell, I remember when he fought Derian Hatcher and pretty much just hung on for his life and even tried to trip Hatcher to bail out on the fight. Reminded me of Chara when he tries to just bail out in the middle to avoid getting hit.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't understand how Brashear would make anyone's list. He's a decent fighter but 10 best all time?

Most of his fights were him hugging a guy while trying to unload some punches to the back of the guy's head.

Reactions: lastcupever75

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I don't understand how Brashear would make anyone's list. He's a decent fighter but 10 best all time?

Most of his fights were him hugging a guy while trying to unload some punches to the back of the guy's head.
Strictly based on his win/loss record and his fight card. He fought everybody and usually dominated. His style was boring but effective. He kept himself around a long time because he didn't take a lot of heavy shots. Just used his strength and style to manhandle opponents.

As a contrast, there are many fighters who had a hugging style but were not nearly as effective. Take Nazarov, Dingman, or Stortini for example. Not every fighter could hug as his primary strategy, and yet dominate the top fighters of their generation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad