Top born 97's prospects in NFLD

canada scout

Nov 28, 2011
ok i seen him play at the provincial "b" he was good positionally and ok movements, he just couldn't make the easy saves.

canada scout

Nov 28, 2011
yes i know but he's A team wouldn't be able to compete in A so they moved down to B. He also needs to work on he's conditioning a little bit.

canada scout

Nov 28, 2011
And your telling me I'm probally a family member or something, your the ONLY one who talks about Evan Buckle at all, why do i get the feeling your probably a family member or teammate?

canada scout

Nov 28, 2011
i respect your opinion, i just believe that there is reason that he didn't make the P.O.E provincial camp. I.M.O

hockeyman36

Dec 29, 2011
i respect your opinion, i just believe that there is reason that he didn't make the P.O.E provincial camp. I.M.O

What's that reason? and who knows you're probably right because maybe the couple times I seen him he was on his game, you're the scout I believe so you would know more.

NBHockey

finish your checks
Jan 12, 2012
New Brunswick
Had a chance to take in some games at the Salmon tourny in Miramichi, I know his output as far as points isn't that great but Johnathon Larter is PEIs number 1 97 prospect by a country mile.

Larter is a good player, saw him in the Salmon tournament when they played the NW Bulls. He was also one of the strongest players at the ACC for PEI too. I don't think he outplayed Tompkins from NB in that game though.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
14 years old is extremely young to be scouting players... so much can happen at that age period.. it's extremely premature to be taking it this seriously

NSHockeyFan

Jan 8, 2012
It does seem early but when you consider these kids are only one year from possibly being drafted into the QMJHL it really isn't as early as you think.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
14 years old is extremely young to be scouting players... so much can happen at that age period.. it's extremely premature to be taking it this seriously

14 is not early...these are the years scouts start to reconize players and catagorize players...I am a Q scout and we look at 14 year olds, not on a serious level to have meeting and such about them but we make a quick rankings to know for the next year if it would be good to get more draft picks for that year or trade ones we have and also to have starting points the year after...we reconize the top guys at 14, the meat and potatos players you do not reconize untill later though.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
It does seem early but when you consider these kids are only one year from possibly being drafted into the QMJHL it really isn't as early as you think.
I know they get drafted into junior shortly, but if it happens it happens. I'm not talking so much the scouts looking at them but the parents that are looking into forums like this and seeing what's being said about certain kids. They're kids, let them play.

14 is not early...these are the years scouts start to reconize players and catagorize players...I am a Q scout and we look at 14 year olds, not on a serious level to have meeting and such about them but we make a quick rankings to know for the next year if it would be good to get more draft picks for that year or trade ones we have and also to have starting points the year after...we reconize the top guys at 14, the meat and potatos players you do not reconize untill later though.
It is early. I know scouts are going to watch, they do that even earlier but that isn't the issue. Like I stated above, I'm talking more about the parents. This is a large forum with a small thread here, but there are other sites dedicated solely to minor hockey with parents literally bashing other kids because they take this so seriously. Does nothing but hurt the kids and when I see a thread like this, it only encourages that type of attitude or behaviour from the parents imo. Just my 2 cents though.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I know they get drafted into junior shortly, but if it happens it happens. I'm not talking so much the scouts looking at them but the parents that are looking into forums like this and seeing what's being said about certain kids. They're kids, let them play.

It is early. I know scouts are going to watch, they do that even earlier but that isn't the issue. Like I stated above, I'm talking more about the parents. This is a large forum with a small thread here, but there are other sites dedicated solely to minor hockey with parents literally bashing other kids because they take this so seriously. Does nothing but hurt the kids and when I see a thread like this, it only encourages that type of attitude or behaviour from the parents imo. Just my 2 cents though.

I have to say everyone on this board is pretty good, there are always going to be parents on the boards and they should not be hyping there kids just because but in this thread all the people spoken about are quality players with some having potential to be just as talked about as some of the best 97s in Canada, but I have to say post boards IMO do not hurt the kids...but the pressure a parent puts on the kid can and they are going to do that no matter of a post board or not, and at some point outside of a post board someone is going to tell a kid he is a good player or he is going to know anyway and decide how he wants to handel that. I will be looking at these kids just in september to start scouting them for real so they are not far off....but I am not one to say a post board hurts the future of players, the future of the player is up to him, either you have the urge to want to be the best or you don't, parents themselves can make kids hate the game and such but if a player is serious about hockey and loves the game that much a few words on a board are not hurting him at all....because again im sure parents, other players, his friends, maybe even media doing a little story have told him he was a good or great player...and being only 1 year away from there QMJHL draft, well we put them through a lot going from one on one interviews with the players, prospect tournaments where the stands are loaded with just scouts, a CSR rankings that actually come out on the site for the final list....so pressuer is pressure a player is going to have to learn with critisism fast, young or not that is the nature of the business...I could see if we were talking about 12 year olds here, but the 14 year olds here are watched heavy and are talked about now...it is the nature of the business and what seems young to most well does not really matter to us because teams make decisons on players interviews at 15 weather that player is for them or not based on there interview. So post boards to me really don't imo hurt a players development when there of 13 years old on from Bantam on a player is starting to play the game more serious and it is not like Atom or Peewee hockey it is starting to get more serious when your that age.you know

Like above you said they are kids, just let them have fun and play...well the game is a business now, it is still fun for the kids because not all of them are going to make the major levels of the sports for us scouts to actually watch....but again one thing you said is if it happens it happens but kids go to hockey schools and camps to become better players, they are educated in the game now, these kids want it to happen and they work hard for themselves to get drafted...I can say one thing we has scouts do see how hard a player is dedicated to the game and how hard he works and that plays big into getting drafted because if he is playing for fun and he just happens to get drafted, im not sure if I want him on the team if he does not have that I want to win attitude and his attidue is well we lost 10-0 but man did I ever have a good time out there...it is a business at this point and teams want to protect there investments for sure. But if a player is playing just for the fun of it and ends up making major midget hockey all the best to him and there is nothing wrong with that but at that point players really want to go as high as they can I really do not know a kid by a certain age who is playing hockey in the top part of there age group who does not want to win and go further but before bantam hockey all the best to the kids, let them have fun and stuff and do what they want but that is what filters kids in the top tier leagues and the other leagues of A and AA the kids that work hard and want to go on and that have the skill will play AAA or Major what ever it is called in your province or state.

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

a lot can happen after we draft them too i mean we draft kids at 15 years old...the whl is drafting at 14 years old, and special exception players are 14 years old...players are getting singeled out in bantam hockey now...but there are always going to be players that so much can happen right through till they are 20 years old...that is why you look back at an NHL draft and say this guy should have been a lot higher or this guy never turned out at all....it is just the name of the game...the scouting has to be done, rankings have to be done, order is part of the game.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I have to say everyone on this board is pretty good, there are always going to be parents on the boards and they should not be hyping there kids just because but in this thread all the people spoken about are quality players with some having potential to be just as talked about as some of the best 97s in Canada, but I have to say post boards IMO do not hurt the kids...but the pressure a parent puts on the kid can and they are going to do that no matter of a post board or not, and at some point outside of a post board someone is going to tell a kid he is a good player or he is going to know anyway and decide how he wants to handel that. I will be looking at these kids just in september to start scouting them for real so they are not far off....but I am not one to say a post board hurts the future of players, the future of the player is up to him, either you have the urge to want to be the best or you don't, parents themselves can make kids hate the game and such but if a player is serious about hockey and loves the game that much a few words on a board are not hurting him at all....because again im sure parents, other players, his friends, maybe even media doing a little story have told him he was a good or great player...and being only 1 year away from there QMJHL draft, well we put them through a lot going from one on one interviews with the players, prospect tournaments where the stands are loaded with just scouts, a CSR rankings that actually come out on the site for the final list....so pressuer is pressure a player is going to have to learn with critisism fast, young or not that is the nature of the business...I could see if we were talking about 12 year olds here, but the 14 year olds here are watched heavy and are talked about now...it is the nature of the business and what seems young to most well does not really matter to us because teams make decisons on players interviews at 15 weather that player is for them or not based on there interview. So post boards to me really don't imo hurt a players development when there of 13 years old on from Bantam on a player is starting to play the game more serious and it is not like Atom or Peewee hockey it is starting to get more serious when your that age.you know

Like above you said they are kids, just let them have fun and play...well the game is a business now, it is still fun for the kids because not all of them are going to make the major levels of the sports for us scouts to actually watch....but again one thing you said is if it happens it happens but kids go to hockey schools and camps to become better players, they are educated in the game now, these kids want it to happen and they work hard for themselves to get drafted...I can say one thing we has scouts do see how hard a player is dedicated to the game and how hard he works and that plays big into getting drafted because if he is playing for fun and he just happens to get drafted, im not sure if I want him on the team if he does not have that I want to win attitude and his attidue is well we lost 10-0 but man did I ever have a good time out there...it is a business at this point and teams want to protect there investments for sure. But if a player is playing just for the fun of it and ends up making major midget hockey all the best to him and there is nothing wrong with that but at that point players really want to go as high as they can I really do not know a kid by a certain age who is playing hockey in the top part of there age group who does not want to win and go further but before bantam hockey all the best to the kids, let them have fun and stuff and do what they want but that is what filters kids in the top tier leagues and the other leagues of A and AA the kids that work hard and want to go on and that have the skill will play AAA or Major what ever it is called in your province or state.
I understand to these junior teams it is a business... I get that completely. But 14 imo is still too young for a kid to feel this pressure. 16 I get it.. it's starting to become real. I got drafted (because I was good enough) and now I have to start applying myself to this thing if I want it to become real. But a 14 year old is still an immature child. I know all about the hockey schools and everything, my mother works at a private school for athletes and I find the fact that parents spend $50,000+ a semester for their kids to go to these schools ridiculous as well.

To compare situations I'm familiar with, I look at myself and my little cousin. I was good, when I was in minor bantam I was one of top players in AA and after the year received a few offer for AAA. My parents never told me about that and I ended up actually going down to A to play on a very, very good team. 2 years later I got lazy, out of shape (fat actually) and that was the end of it. Looking back, I probably could have played at least major junior if I applied myself, but I didn't. You could argue if my parents had made it aware that I had this attention on me and I realized what could have been I would have worked harder but I disagree. I loved the game and I still chose to be lazy and got cut from a great A team who went up to AA and was still very good there. I then look at my cousin who was very good, played AAA and his parents were paying 100 dollars an hour for private lessons. Except his parents put so much pressure on him, do 100 pushups a day, shoot 100 pucks, on top of whatever training the team was doing. He never played on the same team for more than 1 year and eventually no team wanted him (or to deal with his parents)... he went down to AA and then couldn't even get on a AA team in Peewee. I look at him and while he never would have been a great player (no natural finishing ability), he could have played junior A or B with the skill he had and instead he'll probably stop playing before he's finished high school.

2 completely separate but isolated incidents... but that was my point of if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. A 14 year old doesn't need the pressure, nor will he understand exactly what's at stake. Scout him for sure... but let it play out.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I understand to these junior teams it is a business... I get that completely. But 14 imo is still too young for a kid to feel this pressure. 16 I get it.. it's starting to become real. I got drafted (because I was good enough) and now I have to start applying myself to this thing if I want it to become real. But a 14 year old is still an immature child. I know all about the hockey schools and everything, my mother works at a private school for athletes and I find the fact that parents spend $50,000+ a semester for their kids to go to these schools ridiculous as well.

To compare situations I'm familiar with, I look at myself and my little cousin. I was good, when I was in minor bantam I was one of top players in AA and after the year received a few offer for AAA. My parents never told me about that and I ended up actually going down to A to play on a very, very good team. 2 years later I got lazy, out of shape (fat actually) and that was the end of it. Looking back, I probably could have played at least major junior if I applied myself, but I didn't. You could argue if my parents had made it aware that I had this attention on me and I realized what could have been I would have worked harder but I disagree. I loved the game and I still chose to be lazy and got cut from a great A team who went up to AA and was still very good there. I then look at my cousin who was very good, played AAA and his parents were paying 100 dollars an hour for private lessons. Except his parents put so much pressure on him, do 100 pushups a day, shoot 100 pucks, on top of whatever training the team was doing. He never played on the same team for more than 1 year and eventually no team wanted him (or to deal with his parents)... he went down to AA and then couldn't even get on a AA team in Peewee. I look at him and while he never would have been a great player (no natural finishing ability), he could have played junior A or B with the skill he had and instead he'll probably stop playing before he's finished high school.

2 completely separate but isolated incidents... but that was my point of if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. A 14 year old doesn't need the pressure, nor will he understand exactly what's at stake. Scout him for sure... but let it play out.

well we are all entitled to the way we see things...but 14 in this business is not too young...Aaron Ekblad is 14 in the OHL...WHL teams have a number of 14 year olds playing a few games in the year...and my QMJHL team asks me what the draft is going to be like the next year and I submit a list in ranking order as well as 13 year old list which would be 1st year bantam's so we know what we have coming up our GM can decide if he wants to stack up for that draft or just keep things the same....you might think 14 is young and it might be in your eyes....but the truth of the matter is these kids are now exposed at 13....you know even having teams like the U14, U15s then by the way you talk should not be accepted because if kids do not make the team then that is not good it would hurt careers...hate it or like it though...exposure happens at 13 years old...14 mostly but 13 years old are listed too...so it is about the fun, when a player plays it is always for the love of the game, but the reason they are in the higher leagues and staying there is because these kids want to win, exposure is part of the game at this point...young or not players have to learn to deal with it, it is part of the business and the price that kids learn and know about before going up to these leagues now as education for hte players is increasing.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
well we are all entitled to the way we see things...but 14 in this business is not too young...Aaron Ekblad is 14 in the OHL...WHL teams have a number of 14 year olds playing a few games in the year...and my QMJHL team asks me what the draft is going to be like the next year and I submit a list in ranking order as well as 13 year old list which would be 1st year bantam's so we know what we have coming up our GM can decide if he wants to stack up for that draft or just keep things the same....you might think 14 is young and it might be in your eyes....but the truth of the matter is these kids are now exposed at 13....you know even having teams like the U14, U15s then by the way you talk should not be accepted because if kids do not make the team then that is not good it would hurt careers...hate it or like it though...exposure happens at 13 years old...14 mostly but 13 years old are listed too...so it is about the fun, when a player plays it is always for the love of the game, but the reason they are in the higher leagues and staying there is because these kids want to win, exposure is part of the game at this point...young or not players have to learn to deal with it, it is part of the business and the price that kids learn and know about before going up to these leagues now as education for hte players is increasing.
Hang on now... you're taking me not liking the exposure of debating of 13-14 year olds on a public forum as being against scouting or drafting them. If you scout a kid and think he's good an invite him to U15's or whatever it is then great. But no kids are not exposed to this even now... I have a 14 year old brother. He wouldn't have a fricken clue what any of it truly meant, even if he thought it'd be awesome playing in the O and bragged about it to his friends. And he sure as hell shouldn't have to see grown men/women posting on public forums about how he sucks at this or that and he's not good enough for this or that.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
A 14 year old doesn't need the pressure, nor will he understand exactly what's at stake. Scout him for sure... but let it play out.

this does not work today...so the OHL should not have given Ekblad the exception, nor should WHL teams draft 14 year olds and in some case some of those WHL players drafted are 13 years old with late birthdays...bantam is major for a players long term development if they do not get proper guidence at that age other players pass them....NHL agents actually go after clients that are 13 and 14...they can not sign them until im not sure the age but they help the player and family out hopping they will sign with them but i know this because I help out a few agencies with getting to know players at this age and they are at the U14s and such talking to families and players...Nathan Noel and Andrew Picco both 97s in Newfoundland playing for Shattuck are now signed with Octogan NHL agency for representation...this is the life of the game and at 14 you have to understand it is not young, might seem young and I thought many many years ago that it is a young age to be looking at but when your in the business you understand it is not...and as for parents well talk is talk and post boards are post boards...not too many players read on a post board that they do not already know.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
this does not work today...so the OHL should not have given Ekblad the exception, nor should WHL teams draft 14 year olds and in some case some of those WHL players drafted are 13 years old with late birthdays...bantam is major for a players long term development if they do not get proper guidence at that age other players pass them....NHL agents actually go after clients that are 13 and 14...they can not sign them until im not sure the age but they help the player and family out hopping they will sign with them but i know this because I help out a few agencies with getting to know players at this age and they are at the U14s and such talking to families and players...Nathan Noel and Andrew Picco both 97s in Newfoundland playing for Shattuck are now signed with Octogan NHL agency for representation...this is the life of the game and at 14 you have to understand it is not young, might seem young and I thought many many years ago that it is a young age to be looking at but when your in the business you understand it is not...and as for parents well talk is talk and post boards are post boards...not too many players read on a post board that they do not already know.
If the kid is good enough then sure give him an exception. I'm not against letting John Tavares play higher levels if they're that good. I know all about teams doing stuff like that too, the Jr. Canadians paid for a kid from California to move out with his family when he was like 10 so he could play for them. Haven't heard of him for years now. It's the adults that this falls on... they need to understand these are children and deal with them as such. There's no reason the opportunities can't be there, it's the extra bs that needs to stop in minor hockey.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Hang on now... you're taking me not liking the exposure of debating of 13-14 year olds on a public forum as being against scouting or drafting them. If you scout a kid and think he's good an invite him to U15's or whatever it is then great. But no kids are not exposed to this even now... I have a 14 year old brother. He wouldn't have a fricken clue what any of it truly meant, even if he thought it'd be awesome playing in the O and bragged about it to his friends. And he sure as hell shouldn't have to see grown men/women posting on public forums about how he sucks at this or that and he's not good enough for this or that.

not sure what you mean no kids are not exposed to this...the atlantic challenge cup in eastern canada is the U14, U15 and U16 and Aaron Ekblad, Jason Spezza, John Tavares all know the OHL at 14 years old, and if a player is getting posted on these boards it is not because he sucks it is because he is good...people might ask about certain players on this board but to give an accurate scouting report of them is no less of anything to the player....im sure a player who is a plug player who is on a 3rd line for the team is going to read the report and say well gosh I thought I was the number one player for the team...like I said in major bantam or major midget at this point things are more serious then going on the ice and saying well that was a fun game...I hope no one post about how I sucked in that game.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
not sure what you mean no kids are not exposed to this...the atlantic challenge cup in eastern canada is the U14, U15 and U16 and Aaron Ekblad, Jason Spezza, John Tavares all know the OHL at 14 years old, and if a player is getting posted on these boards it is not because he sucks it is because he is good...people might ask about certain players on this board but to give an accurate scouting report of them is no less of anything to the player....im sure a player who is a plug player who is on a 3rd line for the team is going to read the report and say well gosh I thought I was the number one player for the team...like I said in major bantam or major midget at this point things are more serious then going on the ice and saying well that was a fun game...I hope no one post about how I sucked in that game.
Playing in a tournament or being drafted into the OHL does not suddenly make you an adult. These are kids... 13 years old isn't even high school yet. The kids don't take the games lightly... they're into it, they take it seriously. You don't need to be on them to make them take it seriously. This board I haven't seen it, but there are other boards where parents (aka adults) fully callout kids saying things like "#4 won't be around for long, he doesn't have the speed" and that is 100% flat out wrong. They're kids... whether it's true or not and whether or not they know it or not doesn't matter. You don't call kids out like that. They aren't NHLers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad