Top 4 Overrated on Flyers

sallahoose

May 13, 2014
Simmonds over rated ???? With his size, (flyers def need) stats, and his contract (which is clutch for this expensive team) what is it that you find about him, over rated? Y wouldn't u like alot about him ?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
i'd have to say:

1. Luke schenn. He's slow, frequently misses outlet passes, is the 6th defenseman on a bad defense, but a lot of fans love him because he hits.

2. Brayden schenn. Seems to escape criticism, yet is invisible for long stretches and has not lived up yet to his billing as thn's former #1 prospect.

3. This would've been hartnell or hall, but they're both off the team. So i'll go with andrew macdonald. Received a lot of ice time for the isles because their d is so bad, but he's ideally a #5 and not worth the ridiculous contract. Didn't perform very well in the playoffs.

4. Grossmann. It astounds me he receives 19 minutes per game. The puck always seems hemmed in the defensive zone when he's on the ice. Classic example of someone being overvalued because of big size.

Brayden schenn. Seems to escape criticism

Seems to escape criticism

Mutant_Pear_Lol_Wut.png

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Overrated by other fans: Simmonds

Overrated by Flyers fans: Rinaldo (only the ones who are okay with him playing)

Overrated by the organization: MacDonald, Emery, Rinaldo, Grossmann

I think that's a pretty fair way of putting it.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm not limiting my opinions to who I think is most overrated by members of this board. I don't know if Brayden gets criticism on this board. I have about 10 posts.

MadFerIt95*

Overrated by other fans: Simmonds

Overrated by Flyers fans: Rinaldo (only the ones who are okay with him playing)

Overrated by the organization: MacDonald, Emery, Rinaldo, Grossmann

I think that's a pretty fair way of putting it.

I disagree about Simmonds. I think outside fans underrate him while we tend to overrate him. I love him and he's an important forward I just feel there's a lot who would say he's better than Voracek which just isnt true.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Laughton, Morin, Sanheim, Couturier.

Morin, sure. I can agree. Couturier you can make a compelling case for, though I would still disagree.

But Sanheim? Nobody on here has described him as anything but a project who has some extremely intriguing tools. The consensus here is "Wow, this guy has some real high potential, hopefully he can put it together".

And Laughton? I don't think there's a soul on here who believes he has potential to be anything more than a reliable 2C who realistically projects to a solid 3C. Unless you think his ceiling is much lower, I'm not seeing this one either.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Well, it was tough coming up with 4 guys, since I think everyone on the team gets their fair share of criticism. Plus, I don't read all the threads and often skip stuff, so this list was just from the impression I got. Obviously, there's no objective definition of "overrated" anyway, so I don't expect everyone to agree with my picks.
But Sanheim? Nobody on here has described him as anything but a project who has some extremely intriguing tools. The consensus here is "Wow, this guy has some real high potential, hopefully he can put it together".
Well, I just saw some lofty comparisons and taking Button's praise as the ***-given truth. After that, I stopped reading that thread, so, again, I'm just going from whatever impressions I got by skimming through the posts.
And Laughton? I don't think there's a soul on here who believes he has potential to be anything more than a reliable 2C who realistically projects to a solid 3C. Unless you think his ceiling is much lower, I'm not seeing this one either.
I saw a lot of projected lineups a time ago with him getting a shot on the first line or ahead of Vinny in the centre position. I don't know what his ceiling would be, but if he gets to be anything more than a 4C, I'll be happy. It's just that whenever I saw him play, I never saw much creativity, but just grinding it out. I know he put up some big offensive numbers in the CHL, I just don't see how. I think 2C is a stretch, whereas a 3C might be reachable. I don't really have a strong opinion on this, and am open to being convinced otherwise.

I would've mentioned Giroux due to all the Olympics ruckus, but then again I thought he got some unfair criticism for his playoff performance.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
This is a dumb thread. How can a team have 4 players that are overrated?

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Within any fan base, their are certain people who overrate some players because of a personal fixation. While I personally thought Simmonds was overrated going into last season because of his defensive failings and mediocre skating, he improved on the former some in large part due to a pretty significant improvement in the later. Now, I generally think he is pretty fairly rated by most.

Couturier is probably somewhat overrated because he is still young and offensively inconsistent. While people love to point out his ES scoring and tough assignments, very often he gets a pass for his periods of poor shooting, infrequent, but bad mid-ice turnovers, and so-so skating. I understand why it happens because other fans annoyingly look at stats and dismiss the potential and offensive ability (if a little inconsistent) that those who watch a lot see. Fans are probably a little over protective given the overly harsh evaluation of Couturier's offense and often criminal under-rating of his defense, especially on the PK.

Couturier would get better with opportunity, but he would also need to improve his consistency of offensive play, particularly shooting accuracy, to take full advantage of any increase in opportunity. Yes, opportunity and consistency are probably linked in this case.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
You guys are being too nice about it. Although this seems like a Simmonds debate Ill go another way.

1. Andy Mac;
I see him becoming a whipping boy this season. I was initially excited about him, but by the end of the season he made me sad. He is steady but he really isn't great at anything and had a lot of mess ups by seasons end and was bad in the playoffs.

2. Ghost;
The projections for him right now are crazy. I really do hope they are true and I do like him, but there were some people saying he could replace Kimmo and be better than Gus was last season. Those are crazy expectations for an undersized Rookie defensemen.

3. Couts;
I love him. He is going to be a truly awesome player and I hope he is a Flyer for life. But right now he really struggles with the puck, specifically getting the puck deep into the zone. I think he is going to breakout this season, but he was awful in the Rangers series and while he is very good defensively his puck control and offense is just nowhere near his defensive level.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think here should be a distinction between overrated and overhyped.

Overrated is people saying a player who is "x" good is "2x" good.

Overhyped is people saying a player will be "2x" good and realistically they'll end up "x" good.

Nobody is saying the D prospects are better than they are, the problem is that some people might be getting a bit too hopeful and expecting a bit too much. In my mind that's not the same as overrated.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong here.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
2. Ghost;
The projections for him right now are crazy. I really do hope they are true and I do like him, but there were some people saying he could replace Kimmo and be better than Gus was last season. Those are crazy expectations for an undersized Rookie defensemen.

Ahh yes. His greatness lives on. :laugh:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Well, I just saw some lofty comparisons and taking Button's praise as the ***-given truth. After that, I stopped reading that thread, so, again, I'm just going from whatever impressions I got by skimming through the posts.

Have you ever even seen Sanheim play? I understand if Button saying McDonagh made you skeptical, but you should at least watch him play before throwing him on this list.

I saw a lot of projected lineups a time ago with him getting a shot on the first line or ahead of Vinny in the centre position. I don't know what his ceiling would be, but if he gets to be anything more than a 4C, I'll be happy. It's just that whenever I saw him play, I never saw much creativity, but just grinding it out. I know he put up some big offensive numbers in the CHL, I just don't see how. I think 2C is a stretch, whereas a 3C might be reachable. I don't really have a strong opinion on this, and am open to being convinced otherwise.

I really doubt you saw many, if any, people say Laughton should be on the 1st line. You're exaggerating. As for being ahead of Vinny, I don't see why anyone wouldn't have Laughton ahead. He'll play defense and score a little. Vinny will play no defense and may score a little more, but not near enough to make up the difference in defense.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Lol @ the Rinaldo choices. Everybody thinks he sucks. I don't see how he's even in this discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00