Top 4 Overrated on Flyers

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Some Flyers fans absolutely love Simmonds who is not great 5 on 5, and think very highly of Coburn who in my opinion is an above average defenseman, but hardly anything special. Just curious who your type 3 overrated Flyers are. Here is mine:

1. Simmonds
- very good pp player, but not a good 5 on 5 player. Beloved because he is large and physical. Ironically, he often loses board battles and despite being a good skater is not a particularly good defensive player.

2. Coburn
- overrated b/e of his height and skating ability. He has terrible offensive skills and no hockey IQ. His physical gifts make him an above average defenseman. He is held in such high esteem b/e the Flyers lack any legitimate defensive depth.

3. Raffl
- he is a third or fourth line player. He is not a top 6 player. He plays hard and is excellent at winning board battles but lacks offensive creativity and the ability to finish.

FanHabtic*

May i receive permission to participate in this thread??? ;)

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I don't think anyone sees Raffl as anything but a bottom six forward so I don't see why he was included.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
the only thing you did is find some flaws and say they are overrated because they have flaws, everybody have flaws.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
the only thing you did is find some flaws and say they are overrated because they have flaws, everybody have flaws.

I do find Simmonds quite overrated by fans that don't watch him. For example, Avs fans are for the most part okay with swapping ROR for Simmonds. I love Simmonds, but he's not ROR good.

His value is derived by his unique skill set, not from any real on-ice dominance. Not saying he's not a good player; he's awesome, I'm only saying a lot of fans around the league have an inflated view of him.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
When Coburn is given pp time he can put up some points. He's given very hard minutes so I'm gonna have to disagree. Heck most people want to trade him, I still think he's under appreciated.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I do find Simmonds quite overrated by fans that don't watch him. For example, Avs fans are for the most part okay with swapping ROR for Simmonds. I love Simmonds, but he's not ROR good.

His value is derived by his unique skill set, not from any real on-ice dominance. Not saying he's not a good player; he's awesome, I'm only saying a lot of fans around the league have an inflated view of him.

You think a deal around Simmonds would be possible? I'd easily do Simmonds + Grossmann.

XS Chop

May 23, 2008
Maple Shade, NJ
Yeah, over rated is the wrong word to describe Coburn, frustrating is more like it. The way he skates and his size could make him a premier Dman in this league, he'll just never reach that potential. Still a very good player to have on the team though.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
You think a deal around Simmonds would be possible? I'd easily do Simmonds + Grossmann.

So would I. And to be honest, Simmonds embodies everything the Avs currently lack, so it's not a wonder why they'd have interest. They are also looking for a LSchenn/Grossmann type defender.

I'd do that deal in a second, but losing Simmonds' sweetheart contract would be a tough blow. But ROR would be a major boost at 5v5, so I could stomach that deal for sure.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
I don't think anyone sees Raffl as anything but a bottom six forward so I don't see why he was included.

Except Berube.

I'd say Simmonds, Raffl and Rinaldo. Not everyone overrates Raffl and Rinaldo, but guys who think Raffl can be a scorer in our top 6 and who think Rinaldo is actually capable of playing hockey are overrating them. Funny enough Berube falls into both camps.

Simmonds is hard to peg, he's amazing on the PP but his ES play leaves a lot to be desired. Some people see his point totals and assume he's more well rounded than he is.

It's hard to say any of our defense is overrated, they're generally regarded as complete ****. Mason is rated highly, but he's shown nothing to show that he doesn't deserve it.

As a 4th, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Couturier. Kids great and will be a force in the league, but he's not infallible as a lot of people seem to think.

He still makes mistakes and his offense does leave some to be desired at this point. He slumps occasionally. With the minutes he got (yes, some of the hardest in the NHL), I would've hoped for more than 13 goals this season, he had trouble finding the back of the net. He played himself off the 2nd PP unit. I still think he's our most important player behind Giroux, but the way some fans talk about him I definitely think he's a little overrated at this point in his career.

But if he is overrated, it's very very slightly and for the most part I'm part of the group I'm talking about overrating him.

Last edited:

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Simmonds is not overrated. In fact he is underrated. 60 points last year. 29 goals. In fact he is the 2nd best forward on the team. He got 3 goals in game 6 of the playoffs and easily could be a first line player. Considering Lecavalier was his center this year....

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Except Berube.

I'd say Simmonds, Raffl and Rinaldo. Not everyone overrates Raffl and Rinaldo, but guys who think Raffl can be a scorer in our top 6 and who think Rinaldo is actually capable of playing hockey are overrating them. Funny enough Berube falls into both camps.

Simmonds is hard to peg, he's amazing on the PP but his ES play leaves a lot to be desired. Some people see his point totals and assume he's more well rounded than he is.

It's hard to say any of our defense is overrated, they're generally regarded as complete ****. Mason is rated highly, but he's shown nothing to show that he doesn't deserve it.

As a 4th, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Couturier. Kids great and will be a force in the league, but he's not infallible as a lot of people seem to think.

He still makes mistakes and his offense does leave some to be desired at this point. He slumps occasionally. With the minutes he got (yes, some of the hardest in the NHL), I would've hoped for more than 13 goals this season, he had trouble finding the back of the net. He played himself off the 2nd PP unit. I still think he's our most important player behind Giroux, but the way some fans talk about him I definitely think he's a little overrated at this point in his career.

But if he is overrated, it's very very slightly and for the most part I'm part of the group I'm talking about overrating him.

I think raffl is a bottom 6 player. But i like him on our 1st line. Generated a lot of speed and scoring chances. eg: the st louis game that ended 0-0 after regulation. Raffl had like 50 chances. Exactly why its chances not goals. But the fact he is getting those chances shows he's a gifted forward. That was his rookie season. I believe if not next year but the year after he could be a top 6 foward. Just like berube said

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
For all of you who say Simmonds is horrible 5 on 5, you do know he scored a little over half of his goals at ES, right?

and since when does he lose board battles? You're just making up ****.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I think one of the reasons that Simmonds didn't look so hot 5v5 this year is because he was stuck with B. Schenn and Lecavalier as his line mates.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Like Striiker said, Emery because there are people who think he's a desirable NHL quality backup. Then there's B. Schenn.

That's my Top 4.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'd have to say:

1. Luke Schenn. He's slow, frequently misses outlet passes, is the 6th defenseman on a bad defense, but a lot of fans love him because he hits.

2. Brayden Schenn. Seems to escape criticism, yet is invisible for long stretches and has not lived up yet to his billing as THN's former #1 prospect.

3. This would've been Hartnell or Hall, but they're both off the team. So I'll go with Andrew MacDonald. Received a lot of ice time for the Isles because their D is so bad, but he's ideally a #5 and not worth the ridiculous contract. Didn't perform very well in the playoffs.

4. Grossmann. It astounds me he receives 19 minutes per game. The puck always seems hemmed in the defensive zone when he's on the ice. Classic example of someone being overvalued because of big size.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Simmonds is not overrated. In fact he is underrated. 60 points last year. 29 goals. In fact he is the 2nd best forward on the team. He got 3 goals in game 6 of the playoffs and easily could be a first line player. Considering Lecavalier was his center this year....

Annnddddd we now have an example. Simmonds is not the 2nd best F on this team...Vinny is.

Kidding...of course Jake is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad