Top 30 for 2008

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Larsen is too high on your list, I think. My ranking for the '08 dmen is:

Drew Doughty, D, Guelph Storm (OHL)
Alex Pietrangelo, D, Niagra IceDogs (OHL)
Luke Schenn, D, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
Colten Teubert, D, Regina Pats (WHL)
Michael Del Zotto, D, Oshawa Generals (OHL)
Johan Motin, D, Farjestads (Sweden)
Vyacheslav Voynov, D, Traktor Chelyabinsk (Russia)
Tyler Myers, D, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
Shawn Lalonde, D, Belleville Bulls (OHL)
Maxim Chudinov, D, Severstal Cherepovets (Russia)
Tyler Cuma, D, Ottawa 67's (OHL)
Yann Sauve, D, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
Philip Larsen, D, Frolunda (Sweden)
Mitch Gaulton, D, Erie Otters (OHL)
Lukas Stoop, D, GCK Lions (Swiss)
Eric Mestery, D, Tri-City Americans (WHL)
Zack Bogosian, D, Peterborough Petes (OHL)
Mark Barbeiro, D, Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)
Brian Lashoff, D, Barrie Colts (OHL)
Roman Josi, D, SC Bern (Swiss)
Vladimir Roth, D, London Knights (OHL) or HC Slavia Praha (Czech)
Colby Robak, D, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
Tyler Schmidt, D, Tri-City Americans (WHL)
Joni Liljeblad, D, Karpat (Finland)
Niko-Petteri Kluuskeri, D, Turku (Finland)
Mikhail Churlyaev, D, Magnitogorsk (Russia)
Michael D'Orazio, D, Owen Sound Attack (OHL)
Adam Comrie, D, Ohio Junior Blue Jackets (USHL)
Drew Olson, D, Brainerd (Minn.)

These guys should all go off the board in the first 100 picks.

Bogosian's better then Lalonde, Cuma and Gaulton. Haven't seen any of the guys from other leagues, but he should be higher then atleast those 3.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Bogosian's better then Lalonde, Cuma and Gaulton. Haven't seen any of the guys from other leagues, but he should be higher then atleast those 3.

People forget that ranking players for the NHL draft has almost nothing whatsoever to do with how good they currently are. These players are both ranked and picked for what they will turn into in the future; maybe 10% of why a player is ranked where he is has to do with current success, a la. John Tavares smashing OHL records.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Are the other guys just that much better or is Schmidt being underrated? 23rd is very low and I think he's atleast better than Mestery, Gaulton, Lalonde, and Cuma. Just because some may have gotten some early exposure (speaking of mostly Euro's) and are sexier because of a tournament in August, it does not erase what others have previously shown.

It's not that I don't like Schmidt, I just think others have more long-term potential. Schmidt could clearly go skyrocketing up the list this year, too. For what it's worth, ISS had him at No. 50 overall (20th among blueliners) in their latest rankings.

As WashJeff mentioned, the projectibles matter more than the numbers ... but the numbers are still important, too. ;)

Schmidt -- 6-1, 200, 4 G, 15 A, +15, 72 PIM in 47 games for a second-place (in a tough division) Tri-City team

Mestery -- 6-5, 190, 1 G, 6 A, -1, 20 PIM in 43 games also for Tri-City

Gaulton -- 6-0, 184, 5 G, 11 A, -35, 53 PIM in 54 games for a beyond terrible Erie team

Lalonde -- 6-1, 175, 6 G, 20 A, +6, 71 PIM in 58 games for Belleville, which won its division

Cuma -- 6-2, 175, 3 G, 16 A, -8, 55 PIM in 63 games for a sub-.500 Ottawa team

Schmidt vs. Mestery -- Schmidt obviously has better numbers, but they play very different roles and styles. Mestery needs to put on some weight, but you can't coach size, and at 6-5, he has a pro blueliner body already. If you're picking from a fantasy perspective, clearly it's Schmidt. But from a real-life perspective 10 years from now in the NHL, I think Mestery will be a better player.

Schmidt vs. Gaulton -- Schmidt put up .404 points per game as the No. 4 dman on a strong team in the WHL (240 goals); Gaulton put up .296 ppg as the No. 3 dman on the worst team in the OHL (Erie scored just 209 goals in the highest-scoring of the three CHL leagues). I expect Gaulton to really emerge offensive this season with Erie likely to be greatly improved with the additions of Ryan O'Reilly, Jaroslav Janus, etc. Schmidt will surely develop his offensive game, too, but Gaulton has the look of an elite offensive blueliner in the OHL.

Schmidt vs. Lalonde -- They are very comparable players and put up similar numbers on quality teams. Proabably a toss-up between these two. Lalonde is only a month older than Schmidt, so they are at similar development stages.

Schmidt vs. Cuma -- Also a toss-up -- similar numbers and size as well.

For what it's worth, Lalonde and Cuma were selected to Team Canada for the Hlinka tourney while Mestery, Gaulton and Schmidt didn't even make the initial group of 12 at the selection camp.

So don't feel insulted just because one person ranked him behind the others. Their play next year will sort all of this out.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
People forget that ranking players for the NHL draft has almost nothing whatsoever to do with how good they currently are. These players are both ranked and picked for what they will turn into in the future; maybe 10% of why a player is ranked where he is has to do with current success, a la. John Tavares smashing OHL records.

I'm not forgetting. The kid has size, he's physical, he's great defencively as well as offencively, and a great skater. He doesn't lack in really any aspect of the game. I said he's better then Cuma, Lalonde and Gaulton because having watched him play atleast 60 games this year, that's how I truly feel. Bogosian can only continue to develop like he is, same with Lalonde, Cuma, Gaulton, but I have no reasons to believe that suddenly Lalonde/Cuma/Gaulton will all, all of a sudden be better.

I think he'll be a better pro player, nothing to me suggests otherwise.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I'm not forgetting. The kid has size, he's physical, he's great defencively as well as offencively, and a great skater. He doesn't lack in really any aspect of the game. I said he's better then Cuma, Lalonde and Gaulton because having watched him play atleast 60 games this year, that's how I truly feel. Bogosian can only continue to develop like he is, same with Lalonde, Cuma, Gaulton, but I have no reasons to believe that suddenly Lalonde/Cuma/Gaulton will all, all of a sudden be better.

I think he'll be a better pro player, nothing to me suggests otherwise.

Fair enough, but you suggested none of this by saying "Bogosian is better"; that's all I was trying to say basically. Although I thought Cuma looked pretty good at the Hlinka Tournament.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Larsen is too high on your list, I think. My ranking for the '08 dmen is:

Drew Doughty, D, Guelph Storm (OHL)
Alex Pietrangelo, D, Niagra IceDogs (OHL)
Luke Schenn, D, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
Colten Teubert, D, Regina Pats (WHL)
Michael Del Zotto, D, Oshawa Generals (OHL)
Johan Motin, D, Farjestads (Sweden)
Vyacheslav Voynov, D, Traktor Chelyabinsk (Russia)
Tyler Myers, D, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
Shawn Lalonde, D, Belleville Bulls (OHL)
Maxim Chudinov, D, Severstal Cherepovets (Russia)
Tyler Cuma, D, Ottawa 67's (OHL)
Yann Sauve, D, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
Philip Larsen, D, Frolunda (Sweden)
Mitch Gaulton, D, Erie Otters (OHL)
Lukas Stoop, D, GCK Lions (Swiss)
Eric Mestery, D, Tri-City Americans (WHL)
Zack Bogosian, D, Peterborough Petes (OHL)
Mark Barbeiro, D, Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)
Brian Lashoff, D, Barrie Colts (OHL)
Roman Josi, D, SC Bern (Swiss)
Vladimir Roth, D, London Knights (OHL) or HC Slavia Praha (Czech)
Colby Robak, D, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
Tyler Schmidt, D, Tri-City Americans (WHL)
Joni Liljeblad, D, Karpat (Finland)
Niko-Petteri Kluuskeri, D, Turku (Finland)
Mikhail Churlyaev, D, Magnitogorsk (Russia)
Michael D'Orazio, D, Owen Sound Attack (OHL)
Adam Comrie, D, Ohio Junior Blue Jackets (USHL)
Drew Olson, D, Brainerd (Minn.)

These guys should all go off the board in the first 100 picks.

Where's Eric Doyle?:sarcasm:
Seriously though, if one player that didn't get drafted in 07 goes in the first round in 08, who will it be? One of the many Czechs/Slovaks drafted to the CHL?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
It's not that I don't like Schmidt, I just think others have more long-term potential. Schmidt could clearly go skyrocketing up the list this year, too. For what it's worth, ISS had him at No. 50 overall (20th among blueliners) in their latest rankings.

As WashJeff mentioned, the projectibles matter more than the numbers ... but the numbers are still important, too. ;)

Schmidt -- 6-1, 200, 4 G, 15 A, +15, 72 PIM in 47 games for a second-place (in a tough division) Tri-City team

Mestery -- 6-5, 190, 1 G, 6 A, -1, 20 PIM in 43 games also for Tri-City

Gaulton -- 6-0, 184, 5 G, 11 A, -35, 53 PIM in 54 games for a beyond terrible Erie team

Lalonde -- 6-1, 175, 6 G, 20 A, +6, 71 PIM in 58 games for Belleville, which won its division

Cuma -- 6-2, 175, 3 G, 16 A, -8, 55 PIM in 63 games for a sub-.500 Ottawa team

Schmidt vs. Mestery -- Schmidt obviously has better numbers, but they play very different roles and styles. Mestery needs to put on some weight, but you can't coach size, and at 6-5, he has a pro blueliner body already. If you're picking from a fantasy perspective, clearly it's Schmidt. But from a real-life perspective 10 years from now in the NHL, I think Mestery will be a better player.

Schmidt vs. Gaulton -- Schmidt put up .404 points per game as the No. 4 dman on a strong team in the WHL (240 goals); Gaulton put up .296 ppg as the No. 3 dman on the worst team in the OHL (Erie scored just 209 goals in the highest-scoring of the three CHL leagues). I expect Gaulton to really emerge offensive this season with Erie likely to be greatly improved with the additions of Ryan O'Reilly, Jaroslav Janus, etc. Schmidt will surely develop his offensive game, too, but Gaulton has the look of an elite offensive blueliner in the OHL.

Schmidt vs. Lalonde -- They are very comparable players and put up similar numbers on quality teams. Proabably a toss-up between these two. Lalonde is only a month older than Schmidt, so they are at similar development stages.

Schmidt vs. Cuma -- Also a toss-up -- similar numbers and size as well.

For what it's worth, Lalonde and Cuma were selected to Team Canada for the Hlinka tourney while Mestery, Gaulton and Schmidt didn't even make the initial group of 12 at the selection camp.

So don't feel insulted just because one person ranked him behind the others. Their play next year will sort all of this out.

I am not insulted, I am just not sure if people pick names out of a hat and decide to rank them based on hearsay and stats rather than what they have seen.

Numbers do not mean much in a pre-draft year season. Honestly, the only thing I take away from a player's statistical season, is whether he showed early dominance and should be labeled a top 10, 20, 30 talent. We've seen this with guys like Rick Nash and Nathan Horton who produced extremely well the year before their draft and went on to be top 5 picks the next. Everyone else IMO, whether they produced marginal numbers or decent numbers are all lumped in the same bracket. They must produce better than last year, but then again with more experience and time in the league they are expected to better their stats.

I can't believe there are still people out there who go by the age old philosophy of bigger is better. You saying Mestery will be better than Schmidt because of those reasons outlined is like saying Ben Blood should have been chosen ahead of Thomas Hickey. Mestery could certainly come around, fill into his frame and be a force. But you're projecting ALOT more with him than Schmidt.

Gaulton does not show any indications of being an elite offensive force, but more like a steady top 4 pairing guy like Michal Roszival who you can depend on.

One last thing is don't put too much stock into who was selected and who was not for tournaments like this. Take a look at the 2006 roster:

30 Cann, Trevor L/G 5'11" 184 03/30/89 Oakville, ON Peterborough (OHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
31 Leclerc, Justin L/G 6'0" 182 01/26/89 Saskatoon, SK Lethbridge (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep. Defence/Défense
20 Doughty, Drew R/D 5'11.5" 190 12/08/89 London, ON Guelph (OHL) 2008 Dft/Rep.
14 Grant, Alex R/D 6'1.5" 185 01/20/89 Antigonish, NS Saint John (QMJHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
4 Hickey, Thomas R/D 5'10.5" 183 02/08/89 Calgary, AB Seattle (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
17 Katic, Mark L/G 5'9.5" 179 05/09/89 Porcupine, ON Sarnia (OHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
6 Negrin, John L/G 6'2" 185 03/25/89 West Vancouver, BC Kootenay (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
29 Ross, Nick L/G 6'0" 182 02/10/89 Lethbridge, AB Regina (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
5 Schenn, Luke R/D 6'2" 210 11/02/89 Saskatoon, SK Kelowna (WHL) 2008 Dft/Rep.
Forwards/Avants
18 Bastien, Yves L/G 5'9.5" 165 08/02/89 Dowling, ON Kitchener (OHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
11 Boychuk, Zach L/G 5'9" 160 10/04/89 Airdrie, AB Lethbridge (WHL) 2008 Dft/Rep.
23 Cameron, Bryan R/D 5'9.5" 180 02/25/89 Brampton, ON Belleville (OHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
22 Ennis, Tyler L/G 5'8" 147 10/06/89 Edmonton, AB Medicine Hat (WHL) 2008 Dft/Rep.
7 Esposito, Angelo L/G 6'1" 170 02/20/89 Montreal, QC Quebec (QMJHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
28 Fortier, Olivier L/G 5'11.5" 160 05/02/89 Quebec City, QC Rimouski (QMJHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
15 Gillies, Colton L/G 6'4.5" 195 02/12/89 Surrey, BC Saskatoon (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
8 King, Dwight L/G 6'3" 208 07/05/89 Meadow Lake, SK Lethbridge (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
26 MacMillan, Logan L/G 6'1" 184 07/05/89 Winsloe, PEI Halifax (QMJHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
16 Sonne, Brett L/G 5'11" 182 03/16/89 Maple Ridge, BC Calgary (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
12 Sutter, Brandon R/D 6'2" 171 02/14/89 Red Deer, AB Red Deer (WHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
10 Turris, Kyle R/D 6'0" 167 08/14/89 New Westminster, BC Burnaby (BCHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.
25 Torquato, Zack R/D 5’11.5†202 06/08/89 Sault Ste. Marie, ON Saginaw (OHL) 2007 Dft/Rep.

Would you take Yves Bastien, Bryan Cameron, Brett Sonne, or Dwight King over Sam Gagner just because you got an early glimpse of them on the U18 team in August?

whockeynut

Jun 19, 2007
Let's be realistic here.

Every list in this thread will have dramatic changes to it once the season gets under way for each respective league.

Some players will drop 20-30 spots and some will rise 20-30 spots.

Some players were in a position to shine last year and some players had a lesser role or opportunity to shine. So with that said watch for some names you've never seen start poping up.

Even tho this is labeled a very deep draft watch it get deeper. 2nd and 3rd round picks could potentially have gone in the first round of the 07' draft.

It's how they play the game not how many points...

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Has anyone seen the Red Line Report top 110 for 2008 that was released last week? Or has it been posted earlier on this thread? Using a few individual rankings I'd heard, none of those on recent pages seems to match up.

gotothenet

May 15, 2007
There are 2 top 110 lists a page or 2 back in this thread. Is one of them the Redline top 110? If not where can I find the Red Line top 110

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
Me and some buddies decided to look at 2008 elgibles on videos from some website. heres our list

7. Tomi Karhunen.
WTF? Karhunen is not even top 3 of his age group (1989) of Finnish goalies. And at least Säteri and Sulkanen will be drafted earlier this draft...

waffle

Aug 21, 2007
Usa D

There will be many coming out the the usa programs again this year as in the past, thank you.

stmikes76

Nov 25, 2004
If you think Cuma and Tedenby are not first rounders then this list needs to be re-vamped. Cuma could be one of those players that makes everybody say where the hell did he come from, based on his and Tedenby's performance at the Ivan Hlinka tournie these guys are def. 1st round material.

One more thing who cares about ISS, their initial rankings are always piss poor anyways, I mean for the last two seasons they have had guys in their top 30 that didn't even get drafted, they had Kane like 60 something and only moved him when they copied other peoples list and figured they better change too. They change their mind like underwear, after the WJC, Cherpenov was 1st. With all due respect I have read their reports in the past and I must say they are good however their rankings have always been luke warm.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I thought Voinov was fantastic in the 1st game of the Super Series. Solid positionally, good skater, nice point shot, and an impressive physical game. He seems to be a pretty complete package.

Extremely small sample size, but Doughty didn't look considerably better than Voinov did, if at all.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I thought Voinov was fantastic in the 1st game of the Super Series. Solid positionally, good skater, nice point shot, and an impressive physical game. He seems to be a pretty complete package.

Extremely small sample size, but Doughty didn't look considerably better than Voinov did, if at all.

Yea, you were definitely impressed with him, based on your review. I wish I could have seen as well, and for what it's worth, Voinov has been known to have the potential to be the next star Russian defenseman.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
If you think Cuma and Tedenby are not first rounders then this list needs to be re-vamped. Cuma could be one of those players that makes everybody say where the hell did he come from, based on his and Tedenby's performance at the Ivan Hlinka tournie these guys are def. 1st round material.

One more thing who cares about ISS, their initial rankings are always piss poor anyways, I mean for the last two seasons they have had guys in their top 30 that didn't even get drafted, they had Kane like 60 something and only moved him when they copied other peoples list and figured they better change too. They change their mind like underwear, after the WJC, Cherpenov was 1st. With all due respect I have read their reports in the past and I must say they are good however their rankings have always been luke warm.

I'm almost convinved that they do that on purpose with their rankings, just so they look different each time they come out with another one. I'm not so sure they do it or not, but it definitely looks like it's possible.

waffle

Aug 21, 2007
question

:teach::help::help::help:IF YOU WERE GOING TO BUY A SCOUTING SERVICE TO KEEP UP ON ALL THE PLAYERS WOULD IT BE ISS or REDLINE ? thanks:yo:

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
:teach::help::help::help:IF YOU WERE GOING TO BUY A SCOUTING SERVICE TO KEEP UP ON ALL THE PLAYERS WOULD IT BE ISS or REDLINE ? thanks:yo:

I'd personally go with ISS no doubt. I hear it's very in depth, but get a few more replies first. I say ISS. I think Woodlief with Redline isn't too great at what he does.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Of course scouts and scouting services change their minds over the course of the year!! That's why they watch the games. Players improve, players stagnate, players come out of nowhere and it takes a full season to get an idea of how players worldwide rank against each other. Some players are wildly inconsistent. Some come up only during big games (late in the season), while some disappear then.

If the rankings didn't change much THAT would be a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad