Top 3 teams got leaked before the show began

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Its your job for TEN MINUTES to NOT leak secret information. And then you violate that by LEAKING SECRET INFORMATION. You should get fired.

It’s like when you put a medium fries in the bag but I ordered a large. You should be fired for that too but I doubt it happens

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Makes the NHL look very bad now. Leaves room for skepticism, especially with Chicago jumping to #3 just when they need it again.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
It’s like when you put a medium fries in the bag but I ordered a large. You should be fired for that too but I doubt it happens
It's not quite the same. They make horrible money and likely check out to some degree. The lottery guys litterally have one job and tons of time to prepare and think it through. And likely make a pretty penny. They should have plenty motivation not to F it up.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
It's not quite the same. They make horrible money and likely check out to some degree. The lottery guys litterally have one job and tons of time to prepare and think it through. And likely make a pretty penny. They should have plenty motivation not to F it up.

Who the lottery guy in that context at fault here ?

Not the person testing the iconography I would imagine or he is ? I doubt it is that specially high paying job.

The guy in a console responsible to make sure that the raw feed to do content the audio/screen during the ads ? Also doubt this is a big one ?

Combination of the 2 ?

Would it be even consider having F up, for this to have been seen by some niche audience in Sweden, when big name nhler were spoiling the news on twitter anyway ?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Who the lottery guy in that context at fault here ?

Not the person testing the iconography I would imagine or he is ? I doubt it is that specially high paying job.

The guy in a console responsible to make sure that the raw feed to do content the audio/screen during the ads ? Also doubt this is a big one ?

Combination of the 2 ?

Would it be even consider having F up, for this to have been seen by some niche audience in Sweden, when big name nhler were spoiling the news on twitter anyway ?
The guy running the lottery. You have to design it in a way that it won't happen. If that means checking everyone for cell phones or keeping them in sight until the lottery is done than so be it.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The guy running the lottery. You have to design it in a way that it won't happen. If that means checking everyone for cell phones or keeping them in sight until the lottery is done than so be it.

What do cell phone have to do in the situation here ? They do check them at the door of the lottery, the lottery went perfectly without any issue.

The lottery was long done when this played on TV in Sweden.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
That’s what I’m pretty sure happened

The station I work at broadcasts our shows on our website, and in our master control playlist there is a “secondary event” tied to every block of the show that prevents anything from being broadcast on our website when we are in a commercial break (we don’t stream our commercials on our site). If one of those got deleted, moved, forgotten, skipped, etc. it would broadcast what we were doing during the break on the site (testing graphics, video, camera moves, etc)

If I had to bet something similar happened here

Thanks for the explanation of what may have happened. So maybe not one person at fault, just a technical malfunction more than anything.

Reactions: Pay Carl

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It's not a "guy" running it. It's audited by Ernst & Young.

This proves nothing other than they made a mistake. The lottery is never live when Bill Daly shows the cards. Lmao.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don't understand how people thing the lottery is 'live'? Do they think Bill Daly is drawing the cards as the ping poll balls decide the order? How are they re-organized correctly? People who think it's rigged are ridiculous. :laugh:

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

This proves nothing other than they made a mistake. The lottery is never live when Bill Daly shows the cards. Lmao.
Whoever entity designs it than. It's obvious they didn't think the angles through thoroughly.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If it's not live, who knows what they're doing and whether it's rigged? It not being live is suspicious for sure.
Yeah, it's totally being rigged. I mean, the entire order is set up after soliciting bribes from interested teams and talking to executives from NBC, Sportsnet, Rogers and TSN . All the team reps are informed of the order and sworn under penalty of death to secrecy to never disclose what happened, and then the league makes up a video that just happens to match the actual results, and the editing is so slick on it that only true video experts will be able to tell the difference.

:shakehead

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I wish we are getting close to peak social media / Internet outrage culture / online group asking for people to be fired over the smallest things soon, because it must be considered too much by almost everyone by now right.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
There are so many people involved in the draft lottery and in the management of the NHL, so I think its absurd to think that the draft is rigged. Outgoing executives have yet to hint of anything of the sort.
I really don't think the 30 other owners would stand for it either.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't understand how people thing the lottery is 'live'? Do they think Bill Daly is drawing the cards as the ping poll balls decide the order? How are they re-organized correctly? People who think it's rigged are ridiculous. :laugh:

because they are ignorant. How the lottery is run and that it is run earlier is well known. Some broadcaster flashing the order by mistake has nothing to do with the integrity of draw. That the broadcaster knew is common sense, it lets them set up the graphics.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

This proves nothing other than they made a mistake.
Ernst & Young's role is to oversee the process by which the lottery is held, to ensure that everything goes smoothly and there are no problems, to verify the numbers drawn and match those to the list of combinations to see which team it corresponds to, and certify that nothing illegal or improper happened which would call into question the accuracy or legitimacy of the results of the lottery drawings.

It's not their responsibility to put the cards in the correct order for TV, nor is it their responsibility to ensure that the network broadcast video prepared to communicate the results is embargoed in some way. [Among a long list of other things they're not responsible for.] So ... explain how E&Y made a mistake here.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
There are so many people involved in the draft lottery and in the management of the NHL, so I think its absurd to think that the draft is rigged. Outgoing executives have yet to hint of anything of the sort.

That's because this is exactly true:
The more you disprove them the more they see you as part of the conspiracy and therefore the more right they were.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I wish we are getting close to peak social media / Internet outrage culture / online group asking for people to be fired over the smallest things soon, because it must be considered too much by almost everyone by now right.

Without even understanding the situation at all, whatsoever.

There was no rigging, the event was held the way it always is a few hours ahead of the presentation.

This slip-up was no one's fault, really. Not the NHL's, not Sportsnet's. It's not even a slip-up at all, actually. It's the sort of test run the other poster described. It only aired on Viasat, an international satellite broadcast service. It was only seen abroad, but because of the internet you're aware of it.

Thanks for the explanation of what may have happened. So maybe not one person at fault, just a technical malfunction more than anything.

No, it isn't even that. If you've ever warched a game stream via Viasat, you've seen tons of cameramen screwing around to get their shots, video packages being cued up, and maybe even heard play-by-play guys say naughty words and make small talk about their bar plans. Broadcasts of NHL events do not cut away during commercial breaks on Viasat. Because they don't know or don't care that they're on live mics on some channel at 5AM in Europe, the same way the video room at Sportsnet probably isn't worried about a test run of graphics showing up somewhere else in the world 10 minutes before their audience sees it.

All of this information is in the original Tweet at the start of this thread, too.

The Devils Twitter thing is a bit more egregious, but that's some social media shlub being told "OK the lottery program is at 8 so we can't post this til after" and not being clear that the results wouldn't be broadcast til closer to 9. But who gives a shit.

Last edited:

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Kings and Coyotes have been the real losers imo. Colorado had MacKinnon in 2013 at least, Gabe was drafted in 2011 I think.

LA really needed a top two draft pick here and instead are picking 5th. The Yotes never got a top 3 pick after 2015 when they needed one.
Try being a Wings fan! 1990 was our last top 3 pick at number 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad