Top 3 teams got leaked before the show began

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
You’re welcome NHL from the Calgary Flames.

Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett were sat out in the last game which basically gave the Oilers game 82 which also in turn pushed the Oilers ahead of the Rangers in the standings.

Kakko-McDavid-Draisaitl would’ve been absolutely criminal.
thank you guys <<<<<<<333333

I really expected the Flames to win so I didn't even bother following the game, woke up pretty happy the next day. Another thing too, thank you Oilers for Ryan Strome (and to a lesser extent, thanks Bruins for the Nash trade). If he didn't score the OT goal we wouldn't have placed 6th either

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If you were going to make a case for the lottery being rigged, if the NHL's interest is increasing the revenue of the game, you would kinda hand out the best picks to the biggest available markets that could become contenders, right?

Like New Jersey, NY, Chicago...

I'm not saying it's rigged because that would seem to risky for Bettman to do something like that. But I do think this year's results aren't exactly out of line with that argument.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I've suggested the process is rigged. I don't actually believe that and such a statement is born of frustration and not actual facts.

That said, people putting forth the narrative that it COULDN'T happen are just as delusional as those that say it did. Just because an accounting firm oversees the lottery doesn't preclude the process from mistakes (2017 Oscars, anyone?) and/or corruption.

There could be mistakes and those would be corrected as quickly as the La La Land mistake at the Oscars was corrected.

As for corruption, you do realize that there are also team reps from all the teams in the lottery also present at the actual drawing. So, for Bettman to rig the lottery, he would need to have anyone else from the NHL who is present, the accountants, 15 teams reps, and the TV crew that films the ball drop for later release all in on it. And then, all of those people need to stay quiet about it. And I'm sure that several of the people who have been witness to the ball drop in the past have lost or quit their jobs and may have an axe to grind with one of the groups involved. But so far, we haven't had any of them come forward.

And also, remember, Bettman would have to ask each of those people to be involved. So, for it work, there could be no one asked who said no or at least agreed to not to blow the whistle.

Not to mention, the risk that Bettman would be taking in attempting to rig the lottery. If it ever got out that he tried to do so, not only would be finished, but I think it would do serious harm to the league overall.

So, I suppose it could happen, but really the odds of it succeeding are so low, you may as well say it is impossible.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
If you were going to make a case for the lottery being rigged, if the NHL's interest is increasing the revenue of the game, you would kinda hand out the best picks to the biggest available markets that could become contenders, right?

Like New Jersey, NY, Chicago...

I'm not saying it's rigged because that would seem to risky for Bettman to do something like that. But I do think this year's results aren't exactly out of line with that argument.

It's an absolutely terrible argument when you add context. Why would Edmonton win repeatedly? Why would NJ win two out of three? There were plenty of better options for the league in the lottery.

It wasn't rigged and the argument that it was rigged is bad.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's an absolutely terrible argument when you add context. Why would Edmonton win repeatedly? Why would NJ win two out of three? There were plenty of better options for the league in the lottery.

It wasn't rigged and the argument that it was rigged is bad.
I was speaking specifically this year.

They certainly wouldn't have sent that many picks to Edmonton. An argument could be made for NJ because aren't they still having all sorts of financial problems?

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
animals-natural_selection-evolve-evolving-football_draft-sports_draft-bwhn1446_low.jpg

Reactions: LDF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->