Top 3 teams got leaked before the show began

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Try being a Wings fan! 1990 was our last top 3 pick at number 3.

Sheesh, it must be hard to be a fan of a team that hasn't won hockey's ultimate prize, a top 3 draft pick, in nearly three decades. I just can't relate to fans who have never gotten to experience a Second Overall Pick Champions parade the way us Flyers fans did in 2007 and 2016. Truly moments I will never forget, the whole city came together and it was just bliss. Hard to believe, but the second one was even sweeter than the first for some reason. I cried my eyes out for both, I won't lie, I just never thought I'd see my team get a top 3 pick in my lifetime. The first one was like a massive burden being lifted off my shoulders, but the second, aw man, that was straight up party time. I got a tattoo and everything.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Every sports league is crooked. The NHL is definitely the worst at covering it up though. Bunch of meatheads. Those leaked emails between Bettman, Campbell, and McKenzie from a few years ago were the best.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
There's a good amount of dumb posts in this thread, even by the main boards lofty standards. No it isn't rigged. No its not a plan to screw over the Avs...why? No nobody needs to get fired over this. Jesus guys...

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
You’re welcome NHL from the Calgary Flames.

Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett were sat out in the last game which basically gave the Oilers game 82 which also in turn pushed the Oilers ahead of the Rangers in the standings.

Kakko-McDavid-Draisaitl would’ve been absolutely criminal.

Reactions: 63 others

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
NHL likely does the lottery right after the season ends. They spend the rest of the time dressing the reveal up. Nothing is done live in case of **** ups. All of this was pre-recorded and likely everyone was signed to an NDA. Some member of the crew leaked it for the lulz.

False this one was done 30 minutes prior to being aired (7:30 PM EST) and no one was allowed to leave the room until the results were seen on live TV.

http://md-akc.med.nhl.com/mp4/nhl/2...4d-dc307dcee28e/1554862038361/asset_1800k.mp4

Last edited:

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017

No other interviews with other potential draftees.

What on earth does the media expect a 17-18 year old to say to a team with the first overall pick? Obviously all this jargon can be simplified to be: "I WANT TO BE THE FIRST OVERALL PICK, GODDAMMIT!"

Also, yeah that's really shitty that they posted that before the lottery results. I don't believe that it's rigged at all, but I will concede with the notion that all teams know the results well before the show begins.

Which is also probably why all the fossils lack reaction when they go up or down. If I was Sakic I would be livid. If I was Bowman, Gorton or Shero I would probably not be able to conceal some sort of emotional celebration. I get that they need to be professional, but their lack of any emotions hints that they know what happens, and that they lack personality.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
but I will concede with the notion that all teams know the results well before the show begins.

Yes that how they publicly and on video do it, all the teams are present to the lottery to be sure there is no foul play going on (and I imagine just by curiosity / wanting to know right away and not have to wait).

Brownies

Who cares ? That show is awkward and not fun at all and how anyone would believe the names are not known before the show is incredible. I mean the team and position number were already on the right cards how much clue does one need ? And if it was rigged man, Why oh why was it rigged in favor of New-Jersey.

And someone should lose his job for that ? Anyway congrats to New-Jersey and New-York.

Reactions: Eisen

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You’re welcome NHL from the Calgary Flames.

Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett were sat out in the last game which basically gave the Oilers game 82 which also in turn pushed the Oilers ahead of the Rangers in the standings.

Kakko-McDavid-Draisaitl would’ve been absolutely criminal.

It doesn't work like that, the teams were assigned random numbers going into the draft. There's no guarantee the Oilers are assigned the same numbers. And honestly I don't think Kakko is that great.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It doesn't work like that, the teams were assigned random numbers going into the draft. And honestly I don't think Kakko is that great.

Jack Hughes is overrated too. He's like another Hischier. :laugh: He can barely put up 20 goals in junior.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
It doesn't work like that, the teams were assigned random numbers going into the draft. And honestly I don't think Kakko is that great.
I know, but I would’ve rather had a 7.5% than a 6.5% chance. No one will ever know what actually would’ve happened.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jack Hughes is overrated too. He's like another Hischier. :laugh: He can barely put up 20 goals in junior.

Well Hall would seem to have a knack for that too ... aside from McDavid -- RNH, Yakupov, Hischier are pretty weak no.1 overalls. Hischier and RNH are good players but not exactly franchise forwards, Yak was a straight up bust. We'll see with Hughes but yeah the lack of goal scoring is somewhat worrisome.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Par for the course for the amateur hour production quality of Sportsnet. Who've always been bad and have always made mistakes. It's too bad the Telecoms' have so much monopoly money where they can just buy up an entire sport and own it without actually putting out a great product and earning it.

F*CK ROGERS BTW.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Try being a Wings fan! 1990 was our last top 3 pick at number 3.

At least Wings fans have had a chance to enjoy from this lesser award four times during the period.

cut.jpg

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
NHL likely does the lottery right after the season ends. They spend the rest of the time dressing the reveal up. Nothing is done live in case of **** ups. All of this was pre-recorded and likely everyone was signed to an NDA. Some member of the crew leaked it for the lulz.
In Germany we draw the lottery numbers twice a week live. I don't know for how long, but over 50 years. I never heard of any f*** ups ever.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
In Germany we draw the lottery numbers twice a week live. I don't know for how long, but over 50 years. I never heard of any **** ups ever.
You can't broadcast a Draft Lottery live the same way a lottery for money is done. It would be very boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad