Top 3 Cup Contenders in the West

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
Well at the time of that post the three teams at the top of the Pacific all had more points than the top team in the Metro. So what with # of points determining your place in the standings they would of... Not suggesting that they will at the end of the year or are better than the Pens and Caps.

So you’re saying that because they had more points they would beat the caps and pens? The experienced teams don’t care about finishing the regular season in first place. They know when they get to the dance how to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think Nashville kind of stands alone in the West and then it's Winnipeg and Colorado behind them.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Nashville and Winnipeg. I'd say San Jose before the season but they just been ok and not elite so far. I can see Calgart being an 100 pts team but dont see them going deep with questionable goaltending.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Avs not getting a lot of respect here. Tied for tops in the Western Conference, and has the best goal differential in the conference. But Erik Karlsson.....

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Calgary is pretty gritless outside of Tkachuk when it comes to their top players.

I can see them getting pushed around again in a seven game series when the whistles get swallowed

Theyve got some grit throughout their line up though, definitely more than years past. Tkachuk will be playing 20 mins, James Neal will get top 9 mins for sure, Hathawaywill be in the line up. On D Hamonic and Gio both play a gritty game. I dont think theyre a really tough, bully type of team but I think they have good balance in the lineup between skill and grit which is needed to win

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
The Avs kind of play like an Eastern team. I think it's why they've done well against them this year.

I really think they're a good forward piece or two away from making some noise. Their healthy defense can out-skate anyone.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Nashvill
Winnipeg
SJ (I think they will hit their stride)

TBH tho its basically a top 2 this year

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Predators and Jets are head and shoulders above everyone else.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I predict Edmonton doesn’t lose a single playoff game this year
While I know it’s fashionable on HF to mock the Oilers, I’m going to go out on a limb and predict they make the playoffs. Can’t see them going far but I think they are one of the more improved teams and McDavid will drag them into the playoffs.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
After reading those ridiculous posts that say Edmonton, Vancouver, and Chicago I had to go back to re-read the OP as I thought I had probably misread it.

Nope. Read it correctly. Stupid is that stupid does I guess.

In no specific order, Nashville, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Colorado.

Sorry... I can't narrow it down to three teams.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just considering this year so far:

Nashville
Colorado
Calgary

Winnipeg with HM. Really question their record against good teams this year. And Hellebuyck has been very pedestrian so far.

Reasoning:
Nashville: Might be overall the best team in the league along with Tampa. Deep on both F and D; with the addition of elite goaltending.
Colorado: Best first line in hockey. Some questions about their depth, but again, elite goaltending and a solid but-not-spectacular backend.
Calgary: Right there with Nashville in terms of forward and backend depth. Probably a bit deeper on forward, and a bit lighter on the backend. System is elite and there's no doubt that their top line is among the top 5 overall in the league. Goaltending questions are really the only reason I don't put them among the true elite in the league.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Edmonton is sneaky good and the hard part of their schedule is finished, not to mention having the best player in the world doesn’t hurt:

1) Edmonton
2) Nashville
3) Colorado

jpe99u4z_1cti6iw_ciopvx.png

Reactions: Todd from Leduc

Ducks Dynasty

May 11, 2015
Thanks for saying what no one else had the guts to say. The Ducks should get a mention. NAS and WPG are clearly the top 2 dogs, but ANA may be the best of the B squads. Getting healthier, with Fowler back in a month, and possibly Perry and Eaves before playoffs. Not even sure why people still hating on them. The only player to even remotely dislike is Kesler. It's ok, let them keep hating.

As a Ducks fan, I don't really agree. They are mostly getting propped up by excellent goaltending.

Their goal differential is still awful lol...

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
As a Flames fan, **** the Ducks. I'd rather play Nashville in the first round than the Ducks.

Lol! Be careful for what you wish for. You just might get it and regret it.

Nash are the class of the conference.

Wpg are a close 2nd.

Col is very good but scoring depth in the PO's should be a issue.

Cal need to prove they won't collapse in the 2nd part of the season like they have in resent history.

Min is good enough to make the PO's but can they get past the first round?

SJ could be a dark horse in the PO's but I am not convinced they will be.

Ana are to old and slow to make a major push in the PO's

LV is unlikely to repeat last years performance but then again never thought they would do what the did last PO's so who knows with them.

Rest of the teams are a non issue.

Edit: Miss Dallas here which I've should not of done. Dallas is playing some of their best hockey in years and may finally be the team everyone picks them to be in the off season. Will probably make the PO's but not convinced they can beat Preds, Jets or Flames in the first round.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Clear top two for me in Nashville and Winnipeg. No real surprise there.

Then some hodge podge of Colorado, San Jose, Calgary, Anaheim, Vegas not far behind. Lots of ifs in that second tier. If San Jose clicks, they're a contender. If Colorado's top line can keep hot, they are up there. If Gibson continues Vezina caliber play they are a threat. Vegas seems to be gelling again. Calgary if Smith is even average is a threat (and he seems to be rounding into form again).

West got off to a sluggish start, but I'm not convinced the East has a clear edge like some of their fans would like to believe. Especially when you compare the records of some of these teams against the East.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Avs not getting a lot of respect here. Tied for tops in the Western Conference, and has the best goal differential in the conference. But Erik Karlsson.....

Eh. We're a good team that's deep in net & on the blueline; that has a great bottom 6; and obviously the monster top line...but we're an elite #1 blueliner or a 1b Center away from being serious cup contenders atm. Plus, unless we win the central, we'd need to get through both Nashville & Winnipeg just to get to the WCF and that would be a battle even if we had all of the pieces in place to win it all.

So I doubt this will be our year, but if we can win a series that would set the table for us to be amongst the cup favorites next season.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
So you’re saying that because they had more points they would beat the caps and pens? You’re either 5 years old or just started watching hockey. The experienced teams don’t care about finishing the regular season in first place. They know when they get to the dance how to win.

No. That's not what I'm saying. Learn how read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad