Top 3 Cup Contenders in the West

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
That is what you were saying.

No dude it's not. Lookup what displace means if you have to. At the time of making the post you quoted the three top teams in the Pacific all had more points than the top team in the Metro. Meaning that if they were put into the Metro at that time they would of displaced the top 3 teams in that division.

It's not an opinion, that's just how the standings in the NHL work.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Gvafqdg.gif

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
How so? The Jets did beat them in a seven game sries just last spring, and both teams are very similar to what they were last year. Also, the Jets are only 3 points back with 2 games in hand
K. Washington beat Tampa in a 7 game series last season and I don't think you'll find many to pick WSH over TB in terms of their favorites to win this year.

Sorry you're upset I didn't pick the team you root for.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
K. Washington beat Tampa in a 7 game series last season and I don't think you'll find many to pick WSH over TB in terms of their favorites to win this year.

Sorry you're upset I didn't pick the team you root for.
Im sorry you assume I’m upset for asking a question on a hockey fourm.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Jets are #1 but Hellebuyck is a question mark. Sharks if Karlsson gets back anywhere near top form (even like 80%). Then probably Preds but that's more about the conference being weak rather than them being that good.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I see Nashville as a clear favorite out of the west.
Other candidates would be Sharks, Golden Knights, Jets, Wild and Av's.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
NSH
WPG
CGY
If STL gets a goalie, or improves their current tandem, then they're #3/#4. Not too sure about their system/coaching yet either though. They have the personnel on F&D to make a run...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nashville or Winnipeg.

Colorado and Calgary aren't cup contenders.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Edmonton is sneaky good and the hard part of their schedule is finished, not to mention having the best player in the world doesn’t hurt:

1) Edmonton
2) Nashville
3) Colorado

I'm an Oilers fan but no. Just no. We will be lucky to squeak into the playoffs let alone contend. We can make an argument for the Oilers being in a clump of the the 5-10 teams in the west but nothing beyond that.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
How so? The Jets did beat them in a seven game sries just last spring, and both teams are very similar to what they were last year. Also, the Jets are only 3 points back with 2 games in hand
The major difference maker player in that series was Paul Stastny and he is no longer in Winnipeg.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Just considering this year so far:

Nashville
Colorado
Calgary

Winnipeg with HM. Really question their record against good teams this year. And Hellebuyck has been very pedestrian so far.

Jets are #1 but Hellebuyck is a question mark. Sharks if Karlsson gets back anywhere near top form (even like 80%). Then probably Preds but that's more about the conference being weak rather than them being that good.

Well the good news is Hellebuyck is turning the corner.
His play has improved a ton the last few games (7 - 1 win this afternoon where he shut the door in the first).
The Jets have managed a pretty good record considering their starter was playing below average for most of the games.
The Jets with good goaltending are a handful for anyone.
Whoever is going to come out of the West is going to have to improve a lot over where they are now.
The playoffs are finicky and timing is everything. Injuries and streaks have such a huge impact on outcomes.
Teams just need to play well at the right times and anything can happen.

Another 6 - 7 weeks will start to reveal which teams are gonna step up and which are stuck in mud.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
The Avs are missing an elite 2c otherwise I'd put them in the top 3

Jets have enough depth and wingers to carry

1. NSH
2. WPG
3. CGY (my darkhorse)

SJS would've been here but idk

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
1) Preds

2) Jets, finally Helle is coming into form, last few games, after playing like crap season to-date.

3) Avs/Flames - I need to see more from both to make a decision

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
The major difference maker player in that series was Paul Stastny and he is no longer in Winnipeg.

Mark scheifele was the jets' best player in the playoffs, not statsny

statsny did give the jets an extra considering they were already better down the middle

Last edited:

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Based on their pdo and underlying stats, yeah, yeah you can. They are getting unsustainably lucky and I expect them to miss even in the weakest division this year
Little bit confused as to why the Pacific is the weakest? Is it because people are not used to seeing. The Flames at the top?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad