Top 3 Cup Contenders in the West

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Nashville and Winnipeg should meet again. Who knows about the pacific it's hard to say. Calgary has a good team, probably them.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Patiently waiting for Nashville and Winnipeg to murder each other in a 7 game series so a pacific team can slide into the finals again

Go Flam

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Edmonton is crap though.. so there's that, while Calgary will win the Pacific.
A difference of three wins currently with a game at hand. But youre right. The differemce in quality is a mile long and Calgary is so far ahead that its clearly over...with 4 months left.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Calgary is basiclly the Leafs of the west.....soft and skilled.

You’re basically describing one player from the Flames. (Johnny)

The Flames game is focused more on Speed and skill. We may not be the toughest team in the league, but we still have some decent sized guys that hold their own in a physical game.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Calgary is basiclly the Leafs of the west.....soft and skilled.

Flames have a better D core. Worse goaltending. And top-end forwards aren't quite as good as the Leafs, although the depth is there.

Does anyone really care about the "soft" part? It's nice to have a bit of grit, but let's be honest - you don't need much to succeed in today's NHL.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Jets, Preds, and Sharks, I keep think the Sharks have just underachieved but when you look up you see they are only 5 points out of the top spot.

And they have lots of games left with LA, Arizona, Chicago, still think they finish with the best record in the West if only because they play in the Pacific division.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Flames have a better D core. Worse goaltending. And top-end forwards aren't quite as good as the Leafs, although the depth is there.

Does anyone really care about the "soft" part? It's nice to have a bit of grit, but let's be honest - you don't need much to succeed in today's NHL.
I think the soft part becomes more of a factor in the playoffs. But thats not to say its the be all and end all...its just one of many factors.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Winnipeg and Nashville.

Calgary, Colorado and San Jose are all good, but I don't think they are cup contenders. At least not yet. I think Deboer is a pretty awful coach to be honest, and I don't see the Sharks getting that far with him. Jones has been an issue as well. Calgary is more promising, but they do have a history of being streaky like this, so time will tell. Colorado is solid, I just don't know if I believe they can make it through the Central given who they have to play.

After that, Anaheim, Vegas, Edmonton and Dallas I think all have the potential to make some noise, maybe ride a hot goaltender, or have some of the better teams get hampered by injuries. I don't think any of these teams are even close to being a cup contender at this point.

The homer in me says Hitchcock might be able to create something with the Oil. We are already basically playing a tight checking playoff hockey style. In order to really get anywhere, we would need more secondary scoring, and our goaltending would need to continue to be lights out. Far from a sure thing.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Little bit confused as to why the Pacific is the weakest? Is it because people are not used to seeing. The Flames at the top?
Has nothing to do with the Flames. I think they’re good. It has everything to do with the depth of the division. Do you actually think teams like the Penguins, even in this weak year, would not be in a Divisional seed in that?

Again, Calgary is good and San Jose has the potential to be good, but just on paper no other team looks like a playoff team to me in any other division

It’s similar to how Vegas steamrolled last year, but then got dismanteled in the Finals, with it being the easiest series by far for the Caps.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Winnipeg and Nashville are the true contenders in my mind. Sharks could enter that conversation by seasons end if some of their players turn it around. Just don't see it with Vegas.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton is sneaky good and the hard part of their schedule is finished, not to mention having the best player in the world doesn’t hurt:

1) Edmonton
2) Nashville
3) Colorado

LOL. As an oiler fan I laughed. But no, we are not close to being at the top of this list. You sure you arent from Red Deer???

Reactions: Robinson2187

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Eastern bias around here is nuts. Atlantic was the worst division last year. Metro is pretty stinky as of right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad