Top 3 Cup Contenders in the West

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Even with decrepit Mike Smith or inexperienced Rittich in net? The Ducks would eat them alive in the playoffs
oh please, a team getting outshot like crazy wouldnt be eating anyone alive, dont confuse the current flames and ducks with teams of the past. The past flames definitely were eaten alive by the ducks tho

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
No one from the West qualifies.

They don't stand a chance against The East . The East is too fast, skilled and intelligent. Sorry, but it's true.

:laugh:

Colorado doesn't appear to be having much difficulty with it's Eastern conference matchups so far(10-3-2). Oh, and Nashville has yet to lose against the East(8-0-0).

Seems to me the best teams in the West are fairly extremely well against the teams in the east.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Thanks for saying what no one else had the guts to say. The Ducks should get a mention. NAS and WPG are clearly the top 2 dogs, but ANA may be the best of the B squads. Getting healthier, with Fowler back in a month, and possibly Perry and Eaves before playoffs. Not even sure why people still hating on them. The only player to even remotely dislike is Kesler. It's ok, let them keep hating.

Ummmm....Perry says hello!!

Personally I think he's funny as f***.....but you can see why people hate the guy.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Nashville
Winnipeg
Calgary

I think the Jets are better than they've shown so far.

I agree with this. Nashville stacked on the back end, Winnipeg well rounded and a big heavy team, and Calgary finally has some depth scoring and their D tinkered with enough that I like their chances. Calgary also has some grit in their line up that I think would be tough to play in a 7 game series. That defense now is finally figured out and really good.

Some other teams mentioned that I dont buy..

Colorado is a one line team, I dont think a team can win in the playoffs without some depth. Kerfoot/Jost/Wilson/Calvert are not scaring anyone come playoff time. A team like Nashville or Calgary can match a pairing with their top line and do ok, while having another pair that will dominate whoever else is coming out of the bench. The Sharks have just never got over the hump and I dont think Karlsson makes the difference when its offset with some of the other guys getting older.

Reactions: BHD

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Ummmm....Perry says hello!!

Personally I think he's funny as ****.....but you can see why people hate the guy.
Ya, but he hasn't played hardly at all, and won't be back until spring. Yes, he's one of the funniest out there. As much as people hate the villians, they have their place.

debil

Sep 23, 2006
Really? Pacific would displace the Pens and Caps? I’d like to see that...
sure they would they play better and have more points. you live in some delusion that east is better conference when historical stats shows the opopsite is true and eastern media hyped players like ovechkin have significantly worse historical points production vs western teams than vs east.

tarapoto2006

Mar 2, 2018
As a Flames fan, f*** the Ducks. I'd rather play Nashville in the first round than the Ducks.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
In order of current standings:

1. Nashville: Clear leader.

2. Colorado: Big question mark surrounding depth.

3. Calgary: Big question mark surrounding goaltending.

4. Winnipeg: Very strong team but has a challenging path to finals.

5. Anaheim: A perennial challenger but that goal deficit does not bode well.

6. Dallas: Interesting team - the dictionary definition of a wildcard.

7. San Jose: If they can get it together they could make some noise.

8. Vegas: Highly unlikely they do it back to back - odds are stacked against them.

9. Minnesota: Bubble team with little momentum.

10. Edmonton: Terrible roster but McDavid will keep them in the playoff picture.

11. Arizona: Going to be a struggle to make the playoffs.

12. Vancouver: Will not make the playoffs or win the lottery.

13. Chicago: Their window is now bolted shut.

14. St. Louis: How are they this bad?

15. Los Angeles: Lucky bastards will probably get Hughes.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Really? Pacific would displace the Pens and Caps? I’d like to see that...

Well at the time of that post the three teams at the top of the Pacific all had more points than the top team in the Metro. So what with # of points determining your place in the standings they would of... Not suggesting that they will at the end of the year or are better than the Pens and Caps.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I think the tiers in the west are.

Cup contenders
Nashville, Winnipeg, Colorado

Playoff contenders to win a round or two
Calgary, San Jose, Dallas, Anaheim

Borderline playoff teams that might make the last WC spot but unlikely to do anything

Vegas, Minnesota, Edmonton

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I agree with this. Nashville stacked on the back end, Winnipeg well rounded and a big heavy team, and Calgary finally has some depth scoring and their D tinkered with enough that I like their chances. Calgary also has some grit in their line up that I think would be tough to play in a 7 game series. That defense now is finally figured out and really good.

Calgary is pretty gritless outside of Tkachuk when it comes to their top players.

I can see them getting pushed around again in a seven game series when the whistles get swallowed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad