Prospect Info: Top 20 Prospects

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You don't think a Monahan/Lindholm will have a better career than Smith?

I guess I just think that Smith will be a good top 3 dman when its all said and done capable of putting up 40-45pts a season(basically kronwall)

in this deep draft I think adding pick 18 could be a mistake give that in the last deep draft(2003) pick 18 was whereabouts parise and getzlaf were taken(17th and 19th) and no chance I would trade Smith plus Getzlaf for Suter

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
There's only ever been one Lidstrom. Backman is not Lidstrom. I think people make the mistake of thinking that because he's Swedish, the Wings drafted him, and he plays a soft game, that somehow this means he's Lidstrom 2.0.

I don't think anyone believes Backman is Lidstrom, or that he'll be Lidstrom 2.0. It's simply that the "he won't make it if he's not physical" argument doesn't stand, because there are defensemen, including Lidstrom, who succeeded in the NHL without being physical. Lidstrom's just the greatest, and most familiar, example.

Not to stir up this old chestnut again, but if Jarnkrok is Hudler 2.0 then it's a huge disappointment for a guy that's the #1 prospect in this system. The bar should be much, much higher. And unlike Pavel or Z, he wasn't picked at the back of the draft - he was a 2nd rounder.

No, no. I used defensemen as examples too, obviously I didn't mean Jarnkrok will be a defenseman. The point of that statement was that prospects who are small, but skilled enough to play in the NHL, eventually get big enough to play in the NHL. They add the requisite size. I used several examples from the Wings, but the NHL is littered with them (hell, Marty St Louis is what, 4'7"?). Jarnkrok will not wash out because he is too small. If he washes out, it will be because he isn't good enough for the NHL and/or failed to properly adjust to the NHL. Hudler was just another example of a skilled shrimp who made it. Exact expectations for Jarnkrok are completely different from that of Hudler.

See my previous comment here. Size isn't the concern with Backman, it's style of play. You have to be able to give and take a hit, minimum, to play defense in the NHL. Skinny, weak, finesse defensemen have long careers in Europe but they get crushed in the NHL. Hell, European pro leagues are littered with skinny, weak, finesse defensemen with decent size that the Wings drafted. Seluyanov. Blatak. Backstrom. Mielonen. Etc.

Skinniness is one descriptor of size, and strength/weakness is directly related. Six of one, half dozen of the other. My point on size/skill stands. Additionally, as someone else mentioned, Backman has developed a lot in the past 2 years. The kid can take a hit. He's shown a commitment that others you listed never did. He may be a ways from the NHL, but if he's good enough, and continues to show the requisite commitment, I'm not worried about his strength.

From the video I've seen on Frk, his shot is lethal and doesn't appear wild at all. He also moves well enough from what I've seen - not a burner but no Hudler Flintstone feet either.

We heard the "he's not that good, he just has great linemates" line about Jurco as well, and he looks like he's coming along quite nicely. We'll see how he does in GR. I expect Frk to start slowly in GR like Jurco did, partially due to the adjustment he has to make to the pace and physicality of the AHL, and partially because the GR roster is going to be absolutely loaded next year.

Frk's got great hands and makes a good cut. Draws your attention away from his slow feet and choppy strides. His skating is below average for the NHL. And while you bring up a good point regarding Jurco, Jurco is also a much better skater, which results in him projecting better at the NHL level. I think Frk will wind up being pretty good in the AHL, just like I think Pulkkinen will as well. It's that next step, to the big stage, where I think these guys will be tripped up, at least in terms of the expectations a lot of people seem to have for them.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
They need to get Tvrdon and Jurco playing on the same line in GR. They play and think so similar and it worked in the IIHF WJC so well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Frk's got great hands and makes a good cut. Draws your attention away from his slow feet and choppy strides. His skating is below average for the NHL. And while you bring up a good point regarding Jurco, Jurco is also a much better skater, which results in him projecting better at the NHL level. I think Frk will wind up being pretty good in the AHL, just like I think Pulkkinen will as well. It's that next step, to the big stage, where I think these guys will be tripped up, at least in terms of the expectations a lot of people seem to have for them.

Frk is much closer to what Pulkkinen was touted as being for many years. He is a sniper, has a quick release and finds dead ice. He loves to shoot and doesn't look to be a playmaker when he doesn't need to be one. I will be curious to see what Paek does with his skating. If they can clean that up, his ceiling gets exciting in a hurry. He is aggressive and plays a heavy game, his other big hurdle will be discipline. Simply put pro coaches don't put up with a lot of the silly things he does. If Blashill is still around he is about to go through a similar treatment that Callahan got at the start of the year, which is being scratched for overly stupid penalties.

They need to get Tvrdon and Jurco playing on the same line in GR. They play and think so similar and it worked in the IIHF WJC so well.

Think they play well together. Have long salivated over a Tvrdon - Sheahan - Jurco line. Don't know if we will see it, but that is a heavy line with a lot of talent and I think a nightmare matchup. Tvrdon would have to work his way up the lineup in a hurry to make that happen and I think it is likely they pair Jarnkrok and Jurco on a line out of the gate. But with juggling of lines expected at some point during a season, the line I listed would be fun to watch in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Going to wait until we do the polls to get more into my opinion and ranking on prospects...

Just glancing over most people's rankings I think Jurco, Backman, and Athanasiou are ranked too low on the majority of people's lists. Just one observation I have made so far, based on my opinion of our prospect pool.

I think Athanasiou is our most underrated prospect by a good marign. I watched him a lot over the Memorical Cup playoffs and the end of the season. Guy is 6'2" and can fly, he has a good shot, and he has great hands. Once he fills out and rounds out his game he could become a very, very good pro player. The helm comparisons are not good at all IMO, since AA already has much better hands and stickhandling than Helm. Also has a better shot already IMO as well. They are both fast, but they are both very different players.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Going to wait until we do the polls to get more into my opinion and ranking on prospects...

Just glancing over most people's rankings I think Jurco, Backman, and Athanasiou are ranked too low on the majority of people's lists. Just one observation I have made so far, based on my opinion of our prospect pool.

I think Athanasiou is our most underrated prospect by a good marign. I watched him a lot over the Memorical Cup playoffs and the end of the season. Guy is 6'2" and can fly, he has a good shot, and he has great hands. Once he fills out and rounds out his game he could become a very, very good pro player. The helm comparisons are not good at all IMO, since AA already has much better hands and stickhandling than Helm. Also has a better shot already IMO as well. They are both fast, but they are both very different players.

He seems like an underachiever to me, his stats looked good because he played with Scheifele who was the best player in the OHL this year after he got send back down.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Pretty silly to suggest trading Smith for the 7th overall pick IMO. Especially considering we wouldn't see that player in a Wings uni for years and all the trades Holland has probably turned down when teams have asked for Smith. Everybody needs to chill. Dude still has tons of talent and potential.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He seems like an underachiever to me, his stats looked good because he played with Scheifele who was the best player in the OHL this year after he got send back down.

Very rarely played on his line this year in Barrie. His stats are lower really than they probably should be surprisingly, mostly because he doesn't use his teammates very well. If he understood how to use them his numbers would be even better. He is a very good wide player, he drives outside using his speed and has good hands. But he seems often to not understand what anybody else is doing on the ice and how to change pace. That should come with time or improve a little more over time. But that will be his big hurdle at the next level, his hockey IQ is one of the lower ones in our prospect pool at the moment in my opinion.

Certainly has electric skills though at the moment and a nice base to work with in terms of pro level tools. Also has lots of room for growth on that frame, has actually grown another inch since we drafted him and he was very young for his draft class, so he should be able to really get bigger and physically mature and fill out more.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I don't think anyone believes Backman is Lidstrom, or that he'll be Lidstrom 2.0. It's simply that the "he won't make it if he's not physical" argument doesn't stand, because there are defensemen, including Lidstrom, who succeeded in the NHL without being physical. Lidstrom's just the greatest, and most familiar, example.

How many physically weak, non-physical defensemen are doing well in the NHL right now? I don't know of any. He can get bigger and stronger, of course, as he's a young guy. But we've seen the Wings draft a whole bunch of guys out of Europe that never do get bigger or stronger.

No, no. I used defensemen as examples too, obviously I didn't mean Jarnkrok will be a defenseman. The point of that statement was that prospects who are small, but skilled enough to play in the NHL, eventually get big enough to play in the NHL. They add the requisite size. I used several examples from the Wings, but the NHL is littered with them (hell, Marty St Louis is what, 4'7"?). Jarnkrok will not wash out because he is too small. If he washes out, it will be because he isn't good enough for the NHL and/or failed to properly adjust to the NHL. Hudler was just another example of a skilled shrimp who made it. Exact expectations for Jarnkrok are completely different from that of Hudler.

St. Louis and Jarnkrok are not really comparable body types IMO. They're both short, but St. Louis is thick. Dude's legs are like tree trunks. He plays very sturdy for a guy his size - he's actually shorter than Jarnkrok but that probably helps him keep his center of gravity low. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Jarnkrok has or will ever have that kind of power in the legs and core.

Skinniness is one descriptor of size, and strength/weakness is directly related. Six of one, half dozen of the other. My point on size/skill stands. Additionally, as someone else mentioned, Backman has developed a lot in the past 2 years. The kid can take a hit. He's shown a commitment that others you listed never did. He may be a ways from the NHL, but if he's good enough, and continues to show the requisite commitment, I'm not worried about his strength.

I don't discount his chances entirely, but I'm going to want to see him hold his own physically in a North American pro or international competitive setting before I bump him up in my personal rankings. This is more about where he's being ranked for me - I am leery when I see these skinny European defensemen because so often they stay in Europe or make unimpressive and brief stops in North America.

I think Frk has a decent size advantage on Pulkkinen, but there is definitely a risk that he won't be able to keep up in the NHL. We'll see. Get him skating with Draper all summer and see if you can max out his legs and see how his skating looks at that point, that would be my advice to the team.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If Frk was as slow as some people are talking about they simply wouldn't have let him play with MacKinnon and Drouin. He might not be quite as fast as those two, but he kept up just fine and didn't stick out like a sore thumb. That says a lot about his skating really.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Frk was as slow as some people are talking about they simply wouldn't have let him play with MacKinnon and Drouin. He might not be quite as fast as those two, but he kept up just fine and didn't stick out like a sore thumb. That says a lot about his skating really.

Agreed, I think that "flaw" of his is overblown by quite a bit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How many physically weak, non-physical defensemen are doing well in the NHL right now? I don't know of any. He can get bigger and stronger, of course, as he's a young guy. But we've seen the Wings draft a whole bunch of guys out of Europe that never do get bigger or stronger.

Oliver Ekman-Larson was listed at 6'2" and 176 lbs when he was drafted.
Backmans draft profile listed him at 6'2" and 169 lbs.

Ekman-Larson is still pretty thin and not that physical, but he plays a very clean game and has a very high hockey IQ. In my opinion he is one of the best young defensemen in the game.

Physically they are pretty similar. OEL obviously has/had more potential and has the better offensive game.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Agreed, I think that "flaw" of his is overblown by quite a bit.

Think his discipline problems will be his biggest hurdle with the Wings. They simply don't put up with a lot of the stuff he does and if he cannot curb that, he will be one of the first if not the first prospect dangled in trades.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Think his discipline problems will be his biggest hurdle with the Wings. They simply don't put up with a lot of the stuff he does and if he cannot curb that, he will be one of the first if not the first prospect dangled in trades.

His discipline improved quite a lot since the start of his season.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Oliver Ekman-Larson was listed at 6'2" and 176 lbs when he was drafted.
Backmans draft profile listed him at 6'2" and 169 lbs.

Ekman-Larson is still pretty thin and not that physical, but he plays a very clean game and has a very high hockey IQ. In my opinion he is one of the best young defensemen in the game.

Physically they are pretty similar. OEL obviously has/had more potential and has the better offensive game.

Ok, that's one. Out of what, 200 NHL defensemen? And he was the 6th pick in the draft. Without his offensive skill, would he be in the league?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Brodin and Enstrom are two others that popped into my head,

duncan keith was 5/11 and 170lbs when drafted in 2002, was also ranked 19 out of the hawks top 20 prospects in 2004, crazy...

this is what was said in 2004

Duncan Keith, D
2nd Round, 57th – 2002, 22, 5’11, 176

For a player of a smaller stature, Duncan Keith plays big time hockey. He got a lot of
work with the Norfolk Admirals for the 2003-04 season, playing strong and putting up good numbers during his first full season in the pro arena.

Noted for his strong work ethic on and off the ice, he is a great skater that does a good job of moving the puck up ice. He has a very strong first pass, which can set the tone for the breakout. He is an exceptional two-way skilled defenseman overall. He needs to continue to add size to endure the brutal style of play in the NHL.

Keith is a long shot to crack the Blackhawks roster. Starting in Norfolk would be a more realistic move for him. This gives him a huge chance to prove his resiliency. He would be a great prospect for Chicago to have if they needed an immediate call-up, to step in and make an immediate, yet, temporary impact. Unfortunately, due to the lack of space on the Blackhawks roster, higher seeded defensive prospects with the same attributes, this is where he is for the 2004-05 season.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

You're right, there are a whole bunch of drafted players who never got bigger and stronger, but, as others have mentioned, there are indeed a lot of guys who were shrimps when they were drafted and then got bigger. They were committed to getting big enough and strong enough. And, by all reports, Backman has shown that same commitment, so I'm just not worried about that aspect of his game.

St. Louis and Jarnkrok are not really comparable body types IMO. They're both short, but St. Louis is thick. Dude's legs are like tree trunks. He plays very sturdy for a guy his size - he's actually shorter than Jarnkrok but that probably helps him keep his center of gravity low. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Jarnkrok has or will ever have that kind of power in the legs and core.

You're comparing Jarnkrok to what St Louis is now. I'm talking about St Louis when he was a prospect. When he was the same age and at Vermont. And St Louis did not have tree trunk legs when he was 21. He was not thick. He added the requisite strength. There's no reason Jarnkrok can't do the same.

I don't discount his chances entirely, but I'm going to want to see him hold his own physically in a North American pro or international competitive setting before I bump him up in my personal rankings. This is more about where he's being ranked for me - I am leery when I see these skinny European defensemen because so often they stay in Europe or make unimpressive and brief stops in North America.

Fair enough, wanting to see him in NA..... I've made similar statements about other prospects. I just think you're putting a little too much stock into size and strength, or lack thereof. So many Wings players in recent years have adjusted perfectly fine after garnering criticism from fans for being small or weak as prospects (Nyquist, Smith, Hudler, everyone else I listed earlier, plenty of others, etc.).

I think Frk has a decent size advantage on Pulkkinen, but there is definitely a risk that he won't be able to keep up in the NHL. We'll see. Get him skating with Draper all summer and see if you can max out his legs and see how his skating looks at that point, that would be my advice to the team.

He' needs to improve somehow, because his skating needs improvement if he wants to be a successful NHLer.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Eh. It's one thing to keep up with a couple linemates in juniors against a population of players who are far inferior to NHLers in terms of skating. It's another thing to take your skating, which is only average for juniors, and put it in the big league. I'm not saying he won't make it, but he has some strides to make.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not sure where else to put this. Sounds like Holland is pretty happy with the state of the Griffins.

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2013/06/red_wings_gm_ken_holland_hopin.html

This is the re-tool on the fly mantra. Sign gap veterans while you keep folding in your own players little by little.

I was skeptical the kids would live up to the hype but they have performed beyond my expectations in many ways. Wings may lack the next Datsyuk but a competitive club should be sustained for some years.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not sure where else to put this. Sounds like Holland is pretty happy with the state of the Griffins.

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2013/06/red_wings_gm_ken_holland_hopin.html

“We look at the age of this team and we’re hoping half of them end up in the National Hockey League, and lots of them are going to be in Detroit,” he said.

At first that sounded too much but, if Holland ment that "half" will be 10 guys of that ~20 guy AHL-roster, it could be possible.

I think Jim Nill will sign Luke Glendening at this summer and Jan Mursak after one year from KHL to Stars.

Then we will see Mrazek, Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar, Jurco, Ferraro, Sheahan and DeKeyser quite sure in NHL. That's 10 guys.

Then Callahan, Lashoff and Almquist could also hit in. 13 possible guys.

Pare, Hoggan, Grant, Paetsch, Skinner, Billins, Fournier and Evans will never be regular NHLrs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
A little article on the continuing development of Sheahan

He said his off-season will be spent adding muscle and finding a skating instructor to improve his stride and explosiveness — something Red Wings coach Mike Babcock suggested after Sheahan's April call-up.

“I’ve got to get a little stronger,” said Sheahan, listed at 6-feet-2 and 207 pounds. “I have a big frame, but I need to get a little muscle on me.”

Seems like he has the right attitude.

http://www.freep.com/article/201306...red-wings-grand-rapids-griffins-riley-sheahan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad