Prospect Info: Top 20 Prospects

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
A little article on the continuing development of Sheahan

Seems like he has the right attitude.

http://www.freep.com/article/201306...red-wings-grand-rapids-griffins-riley-sheahan

Good to hear. I have a feeling he'll get moved to wing at some point. I know the Wings/Babcock seem to want to try every guy with decent size at center, but moving to wing would minimize his skating issues a bit, and allow him to not sacrifice so much of his offense. Also, being able to line up his size next to a smaller center might be worth more than having him center his own line.

Aug 6, 2012
Good to hear. I have a feeling he'll get moved to wing at some point. I know the Wings/Babcock seem to want to try every guy with decent size at center, but moving to wing would minimize his skating issues a bit, and allow him to not sacrifice so much of his offense. Also, being able to line up his size next to a smaller center might be worth more than having him center his own line.

Skating really isn't a big issue with Sheahan and he's way more effective down the middle than on the wing.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
David Backes, Brian Boyle? :laugh:The guy is too soft to even be considered in the same breath as those two. He's Franzen without the goal scoring ability

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Skating really isn't a big issue with Sheahan and he's way more effective down the middle than on the wing.

I thought he looked slow with the wings. Babcock made a point of it. And now Sheahan is looking for someone to work on his skating. It might not be a big issue, but I think the Wings see it as an issue that needs addressed.

As for moving him to wing, it can be just as much to get him into the lineup as anything. With Datsyuk, Z, and Helm, we likely have our top three center spots set for the next few years unless we bring in a guy like Weiss. Jarnkrok has a higher upside, especially for a scoring line, and we have a number of other options for the fourth line center. So move the big guy to wing.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I thought he looked slow with the wings. Babcock made a point of it. And now Sheahan is looking for someone to work on his skating. It might not be a big issue, but I think the Wings see it as an issue that needs addressed.

As for moving him to wing, it can be just as much to get him into the lineup as anything. With Datsyuk, Z, and Helm, we likely have our top three center spots set for the next few years unless we bring in a guy like Weiss. Jarnkrok has a higher upside, especially for a scoring line, and we have a number of other options for the fourth line center. So move the big guy to wing.

No offense, but I am not buying your read on the situation. Sure he needs to improve his acceleration (one-step quickness), but most big guys do at his age. This is a very common criticism of guys like Sheahan and is nothing out of the ordinary. Hell, all prospects have things they need to work on. He will need to continue to work on things even after he earns a roster spot with the big club. Such is life as a pro athlete.

Moving him to wing not only hurts our organizational depth at center (which is pretty thin all things considered), but it also disregards what he does best. He is a 200 ft player who is very good defensively. Why would you throw those skills out of the window for the sake of moving him to the wing. For god knows what reason, people around here overstate the importance of defensive play by wings. At the end of the day, they just don't have that many responsibilities when it comes to the defensive side of the puck. Riley needs to be in a position where his strengths will be utilized.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don't agree that Sheahan is soft. He's just not mean.

He doesn't sacrifice positioning for a hit. He will still take it if it makes sense though. Has probably the biggest hit of the series on the 6'8" monster Sustr in the AHL finals.

If he picks up the explosion in his skating like he says he wants to this summer, he might be more physical too. Riley has great high end speed, but he doesn't get there as fast as he needs to right now. I think he will next season, he has targeted that area of development, but it is also part of why I think he does flyby things so often on defense, he knows finishing certain checks will take him out of position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad