Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
@BiggE

Well done and very descriptive. You heeded a suggestion and passed the test yet again.

I would make a few minor changes but the biggest would to include Bill Barber's goal in Game 4 1974 among the top ten. When Bobby Orr calls a goal "the greatest wrist shot...." he'd ever seen, that should speak volumes. It was something old Hollywood couldn't have produced with better imagery. It was a stunning blow to what is one of the most impressive Stanley Cup runs of all-time. And the frustration of Orr by Fred Shero's staggering, unique and thought-provoking strategy to tame the lion by giving him the puck was a glorious display of chutzpah. Barber's goal helped set the tone for Game 6. The Flyers lose game 4, series likely over.

MacLeish's assist in Game 2 1974 should not go overlooked. It may be one of the three most important assists in team history. It was that big.

Daigneault's Game 6 1987 goal was more exhilarating than the 1975 Cup clincher. Maybe not as important as the series result was a loss but I would have no problem putting it as high as number 3 in some categories. Tocchet's goal in Game 5 1987 was implausible. We all knew the Flyers would win in 1975, somehow someway but 1987 was something that the mind and body processed incessantly and with provocation that was pure delirium in a way that can never be duplicated. It made 2010 seem like afternoon tea at the Ritz-Carlton.
Good points all! I can see flipping 3 & 4 but I just can’t put a Cup winning goal any lower. Putting Kelly out for that first shift was brilliant. Filling out the bottom 5 of the top 10 was extremely tough and Barber’s goal came oh so close to making it. Honestly, ask me a month from now and it could well be in there. It’s that close in my head.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Ok, this was a tough one. The top couple were easy, but after that it was really hard. Thus, quite a few honorable mentions!

THE TOP 10 STANLEY CUP FINAL GOALS IN FLYERS HISTORY!

HONORABLE MENTIONS (in chronological order)
Game 4 vs Boston 1974
Bill Barber on assists from Ross Lonsberry and Jimmy Watson breaks a 2-2 tie in the 3rd period with the game winning goal, tying up the series at 2 apiece.

Game 2 vs Buffalo 1975
Bobby Clarke scores the game winning goal in the 3rd period to give the Flyers a 2-0 lead in the series. The final score was 2-1 and the assists were from Bill Barber and Rick Macleish.

Game 6 @ Buffalo 1975
Bill Clement, assisted by Orest Kindrachuk gives the Flyers a 2-0 lead in the 3rd period and that would be the final score as the Flyers clinch their 2nd straight Stanley Cup.

Game 6 @ NY Islanders 1980
John Paddock ties the game up at 4 in the 3rd period off of assists by Moose Dupont and Macleish. The ensuing OT is best forgotten.

Game 3 vs Edmonton 1987
There are 3 honorable mentions from this game. First, in the 2nd period, Murray Craven gets the Flyers on the board with assists from Rick Tocchet and Ron Sutter. Then, still in the 2nd, Peter Zezel scores unassisted to cut the Oilers to 3-2. Finally, in the 3rd period, Scott Mellanby from Mark Howe and Ron Sutter, ties the game up at 3.

Game 5 @ Edmonton 1987
There are two from this epic tilt. First off, Doug Crossman, off of assists from Brian Propp and Pelle Eklund draws the Flyers within one in the 2nd period. Second, still in the middle frame, Eklund scores on the powerplay from Propp and Tocchet to tie the game up.

Game 3 vs Chicago 2010
Claude Giroux scores in overtime to give the Flyers a must win in game 3 cutting Chicago's series lead to 2-1. He was assisted by Matt Carle and Danny Briere.

Game 6 vs Chicago 2010
Scott Hartnell scores a huge goal with just 4 minutes left in the 3rd tying the game at 3 apiece. He was assisted by his linemates Briere and Ville Leino. For about a half hour, we were all on cloud nine, but then, sadly, came Kane vs Leighton.

AND THE TOP 10!

10. Game 6 vs Edmonton 1987
Trailing 2-1 in the 3rd period and 3-2 in the series, Brian Propp, off a feed by Pelle Eklund and Doug Crossman, ties the game up and sets the stage for an epic follow up!

9. Game 5 @ Edmonton 1987
With Flyers trailing 3-1 in the series and in the unfriendly confines of the Northland Coliseum, Rick Tocchet scores in the 3rd period to shock the home crowd and make it a series. He was assisted by Brian Propp. Prior to the game the Flyers were given a copy of an Edmonton newspaper showing the Stanley Cup parade route and this just added more fuel to the fire. While everyone remembers game 6, none of it happens without this goal.

8. Game 2 @ Boston 1974
Having lost the first game in Boston and trailing 2-0 in game 2, the Flyers seemed to be in serious trouble. But a huge goal from Bobby Clarke early in the 2nd period gets the Flyers on the board and gives the team a much needed lift. The assists were from Cowboy Bill Flett and the Hammer, Dave Schultz.

7. Game 6 vs Edmonton 1987
This goal was perfectly summed up by Jay Greenberg as being scored by a plumber off of assists by a goon and a plugger! Down 3-2 in the series and trailing 2-0 in game 6, Lindsay Carson off of assists by Dave Brown and Brad Marsh cuts the Oilers lead to 1 in the 2nd period and the crowd goes wild!

6. Game 3 vs Edmonton 1987
Down 2-0 in the series and desperate for a home ice game 3 win, Brad McCrimmon scores a massively huge 3rd period goal to give the Flyers a badly needed 4-3 victory in game 3. The assists were by Scott Mellanby and (with his 3rd apple of the game) Ron Sutter.

5. Game 6 vs Edmonton 1987
Had the Flyers gone on to win the series this goal would probably be in the top 3. It was still epic though! The crowd had barely begun to sit down after Propp's game tying tally when little used defenseman JJ Daigneault came to the bench for a change. However, Mark Howe was still gasping for air (he only played about 35 minutes that night!) and he waved at Daigneault to stay on. As JJ crossed the Oilers blue line he intercepts an Oilers clearing attempt and blasts a shot past goaltender Grant Fuhr setting off a roar that almost blows off the Spectrum's roof for the 2nd time, and it gives the Flyers a 3-2 lead that would be the final score. I was there and yes, it was absolutely incredible!!

4. Game 2 @ Boston 1974
Going into the last minute of the 3rd period, the Flyers were still down 1 and just a minute away from being down 2-0 in the series. Every player on the bench knew that a win in Boston was a must if they were going to win the Cup. With Parent pulled for an extra attacker, Andre "Moose" Dupont scores off of apples by Clarke and Macleish to tie the game up, silence the Gaahden, and send us into OT!

3. Game 6 @ Buffalo 1975
Leading the series 3-2, the Flyers were looking to put the Sabres away in their own barn and bring the Cup to Philly for a 2nd straight year. However, Sabres goaltender Roger Crozier was having the game of his life and we were deadlocked at zero heading into the 3rd. During the intermission, coach Fred Shero wanted to put Clarke's line out to start the 3rd but assistant coach Mike Nykoluk had a great idea. Since that line had played a ton and were getting tired, how about putting the relatively fresh 4th line winger, Bob "Hound" Kelly out with Clarke and Reggie Leach? His idea paid off big time when, barely a minute into the 3rd stanza, the Hound, on assists from his linemates, scored the winning goal and put himself into the annals of NHL hockey history! The Flyers would go on to win 2-0 and bring the Cup to Philly for the 2nd time. FUN FACT: After the game, an older gentlemen was sitting in the locker room and congratulated Kelly on the goal and win. Kelly responded by telling the man to get the hell out of his seat. So, without any complaint, Pennsylvania Governor Milton Schapp got up and out of the Hound's seat!

2. Game 6 vs Boston 1974
Many will argue with me that this goal should be at number 1, but I will explain my reasoning when I go over my top selection. Now back to game 6! The Flyers led 3-2 in the series and wanted to avoid going back to Boston for a game 7 by any means necessary. Late in the first period, Rick Macleish tips a shot by the Moose past goaltender Gilles Gilbert and Spectrum erupts as the Flyers take a 1-0 lead. It would be the only goal needed as Parent was brilliant that afternoon and the Flyers become the first expansion to win the Cup and the first non "original 6" team to win a Cup since the Montreal Maroons in 1935. My 8 year old self was watching on tv and went nuts when I heard Gene Hart saying, THE FLYERS WIN THE STANLEY CUP over and over!! FUN FACT 2: The Bruins had iced the puck and there were still 4 seconds left in the 3rd when the celebration began and fans began storming the ice. However, with a faceoff in the Bruins zone, the officials ruled that there would not be enough time for Boston to score so they waived off those last seconds. The Bruins, to their credit, didn't argue.

AND AT NUMERO UNO.....

Game 2 @ Boston 1974
First, I'll set the stage a bit. For the first time that spring the Flyers, who were undefeated at home in the playoffs but only 2-3 (0-3 since their first round sweep of Atlanta) on the road, did not have home ice advantage. Therefore, to win the Cup, they had to win at least one game in Boston. Also, not one prognosticator or hockey publication had picked Philly to beat the Bruins. After losing game 1, the Flyers were in desperation mode. Going down 2-0 in the series meant that if any mistakes were made in the next two games, they'd be heading back to Boston down 3-1 for a game 5 that would likely end the series. As I mentioned with goal #4, the game had been tied up with a huge goal by the Moose and the Flyers headed to the cramped visiting locker room to catch their breath before OT. Captain Bob Clarke already had a goal and an assist in the game when, at 12:01 of the overtime, he scored the biggest goal in Flyers history and thus in Flyers Cup finals history, giving the Flyers a monumental 3-2 victory in Boston and a 1-1 tie in the series. The Flyers would remain undefeated on home ice that Spring and the Cup would come to Philly!

And there you have it, the top 10 Stanley Cup final goals in Flyers history. As always, please feel free to comment and I hope you enjoyed the read!
Great write up!

And your Fun Fact 2 from game 6 explains so much! I was always floored watching the replay of that play wondering how nonchalant the Flyers were with the puck behind the net with enough time for the B’s to steal and wrap it in. Even Bernie seemed not to care. Your account of the play clears up the mystery haha.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I am open to suggestions for future lists, and, if you enjoy these, please check out my book!
Are you preparing a Vol. 2?

Suggestions as follows with possible inclusions:

Top Ten Non-Players (those who never played for the Flyers) in no particular order:
  • Ed Snider,
  • Keith Allen,
  • Fred Shero,
  • Gene Hart,
  • Kate Smith,
  • Lauren Hart,
  • Lou Nolan,
  • Joe Kadlec,
  • Mike Keenan,
  • Original founders/investors
Top Ten Goals by Defensemen in no particular order::
  • J.J. Daigneault EDM
  • Andre Dupont TOR
  • Mark Howe NYR
  • Andy Delmore PIT
  • Kevin Haller NYR
  • Eric Desjardins NYR
  • Karl Dykhuis BUF
  • Randy Jones BOS
  • Mike Rathje PIT
Top Ten Individual Games by non-stars in no particular order:
  • Tom Bladon CLEV
  • Al Hill STL
  • Darren Jensen STL
  • Darren Jensen EDM
  • Andy Delmore PIT
  • Ken Wregget PIT
  • Joe Paterson QUE

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

Top Ten Non-Players (those who never played for the Flyers) in no particular order:
  • Ed Snider,
  • Keith Allen,
  • Fred Shero,
  • Gene Hart,
  • Kate Smith,
  • Lauren Hart,
  • Lou Nolan,
  • Joe Kadlec,
  • Mike Keenan,
Top Ten Goals by Defensemen in no particular order::
  • J.J. Daigneault EDM
  • Andre Dupont TOR
  • Mark Howe NYR
  • Andy Delmore PIT
  • Kevin Haller NYR
  • Eric Desjardins NYR
  • Karl Dykhuis BUF
  • Mike Rathje PIT
Top Ten Individual Games by non-stars in no particular order:
  • Tom Bladon CLEV
  • Al Hill STL
  • Darren Jensen STL
  • Darren Jensen EDM
  • Andy Delmore PIT
  • Ken Wregget PIT
  • Joe Paterson QUE
Volume 2? Well, maybe but I’d probably want to wait a few more years and include some updated lists too.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

• Ed Snider,
  • Keith Allen,
  • Fred Shero,
  • Gene Hart,
  • Kate Smith,
  • Lauren Hart,
  • Lou Nolan,
  • Joe Kadlec,
  • Mike Keenan,
How about an honorable mention to Stu Nahan?

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I thought I had included a most important non playing members of the Flyers organization, and yup, I did. Here, minus the write ups, are the top 10:

10. Lou Scheinfeld
9. Lou Nolan
8. Paul Holmgren
7. Mike Keenan
6. Bob Clarke
5. Gene Hart
4. Joe C. Scott
3. Fred Shero
2. Keith Allen
1. Ed Snider

The top 3 are irrefutable, and Scott is 4th due to the simple fact that without his banking connections the team never gets off the ground. Hart absolutely needs to be at 5 as he basically taught the sport of hockey to the entire region. After that, the arguing may commence!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@BiggE

Larry Hillman passed away yesterday. Former Flyer from the early days. I am pretty sure he was a finalist to replace Fred Shero as head coach who quit the Flyers the same day (or so) that Winnipeg (WHA) won the Cup in 1978 under Hillman's direction.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Since this offseason and the current state of Flyers hockey are utterly depressing, let’s have some fun.

I’m gonna post my all time Flyers team. In order to qualify, a player must have played in at least one game as a Flyer, so Jari Kurri would not qualify though he was technically a Flyer for a few minutes.

Please select 2 goalies, 6 D and 4 forward lines. And, if you like, your special team units. Here’s mine:

G: Bernie Parent
G: Pelle Lindbergh

D1: Mark Howe/Eric Desjardins
D2: Kimmo Timonen/Bob Dailey
D3: Chris Pronger/Brad McCrimmon

L1: John Leclair-Eric Lindros-Mark Recchi
L2: Bill Barber-Bobby Clarke-Tim Kerr
L3: Claude Giroux-Rick Macleish-Rick Tocchet
L4: Brian Propp-Rod Brind’amour-Jake Voracek

PP1: Clarke, Macleish, Kerr, Giroux,Howe
PP2: Lindros, Leclair, Recchi, Propp, Pronger

PK 1: Clarke/Barber
PK 2: Brind’amour/Propp
PK 3: Macleish/Giroux

YOUR TURN!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Since this offseason and the current state of Flyers hockey are utterly depressing, let’s have some fun.

I’m gonna post my all time Flyers team. In order to qualify, a player must have played in at least one game as a Flyer, so Jari Kurri would not qualify though he was technically a Flyer for a few minutes.

Please select 2 goalies, 6 D and 4 forward lines. And, if you like, your special team units. Here’s mine:

G: Bernie Parent
G: Pelle Lindbergh

D1: Mark Howe/Eric Desjardins
D2: Kimmo Timonen/Bob Dailey
D3: Chris Pronger/Brad McCrimmon

L1: John Leclair-Eric Lindros-Mark Recchi
L2: Bill Barber-Bobby Clarke-Tim Kerr
L3: Claude Giroux-Rick Macleish-Rick Tocchet
L4: Brian Propp-Rod Brind’amour-Jake Voracek

PP1: Clarke, Macleish, Kerr, Giroux,Howe
PP2: Lindros, Leclair, Recchi, Propp, Pronger

PK 1: Clarke/Barber
PK 2: Brind’amour/Propp
PK 3: Macleish/Giroux

YOUR TURN!

Are these players in their primes, or as they were for the Flyers?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
As they were as Flyers

Well, at least you can automatically eliminate the current roster

I was humoring Couturier as an absolute machine, but I have a player that people really underrate that I'm gonna squeeze in somewhere. I'm going to assume this is at least presuming Peak As Flyer.

LeClair - Lindros - Recchi
Barber - Clarke - Richards
Brindamour - Giroux - Kerr
Propp - Poulin - Tocchet

Spare: Gagne

Howe - McCrimmon
Pronger - Ghost
Timonen - Jimmy Watson

Spare: Angry Coburn

Parent
Hextall

Spare: Lindbergh

PK1: Clarke/Rod
PK2: Giroux/Richards

I am very unsure in a vacuum Ghost should be there, but his status as first very successful homegrown dman in decades harkens to a time where optimism was possible, and I think Pronger/Ghost would just be really fun.

Giroux/Richards on the PK was a blast. There were a whole lot of PKs where they generated better chances than the PP

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I was humoring Couturier as an absolute machine, but I have a player that people really underrate that I'm gonna squeeze in somewhere. I'm going to assume this is at least presuming Peak As Flyer.

LeClair - Lindros - Recchi
Barber - Clarke - Richards
Brindamour - Giroux - Kerr
Propp - Poulin - Tocchet

Spare: Gagne

Howe - McCrimmon
Pronger - Ghost
Timonen - Jimmy Watson

Spare: Angry Coburn

Parent
Hextall

Spare: Lindbergh

PK1: Clarke/Rod
PK2: Giroux/Richards

I am very unsure in a vacuum Ghost should be there, but his status as first very successful homegrown dman in decades harkens to a time where optimism was possible, and I think Pronger/Ghost would just be really fun.

Giroux/Richards on the PK was a blast. There were a whole lot of PKs where they generated better chances than the PP
Don’t know how you can leave out Desjardins, but it’s your squad. Well done.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Don’t know how you can leave out Desjardins, but it’s your squad. Well done.

THAT'S WHO I FORGOT.

I was looking it over wondering why it felt like someone obvious was missing. One of my absolute favorites too. I did not mean to do this.

Let's pretend he had a bad burrito and isn't available. Otherwise he's in Watson's slot.

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
THAT'S WHO I FORGOT.

I was looking it over wondering why it felt like someone obvious was missing. One of my absolute favorites too. I did not mean to do this.

Let's pretend he had a bad burrito and isn't available. Otherwise he's in Watson's slot.
Also, if I may be allowed to nitpick, I’d move Brind’amour to center and put G on the wing

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Another list. Best players, many HOF, that were Flyers near or at the end of of their career.

Lw
D Sittler
A secord

RW
T Amonte
J Jagr

C
P Forsberg
D Hawerchuk
V Lacavillier
A Oates
C macTavish