Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Alright kids, because I’m bored waiting for tonight’s game, thought I’d harken back to my days at another site (blame Nutter for reminding me) and do some top 10 lists of best Flyers in various categories.

We’ll kick it off with the top 10 defensemen in Flyers history. Please post yours too, it’s fun to compare!

And away we go!!

1. Mark Howe
It’s not even close and it’s a travesty that he never won a Norris. In the mid to late 80s, Howe was the best all around Dman in the NHL

2. Eric Desjardins
Silky smooth, smart and tougher than many gave him credit for. He wasn’t a franchise D, but he was a legit all situations top pair player

3. Kimmo Timonen
The Finnish warrior was a throwback to the days when NHL players routinely played through hellacious injuries. Smart and skilled, Kimmo was unflappable under pressure and could log big time minutes

4. Chris Pronger
If he had lasted a couple more seasons, he’s likely #2 on the list (sorry Cap). Pronger was as smart as he was nasty, and could completely control a game when he was healthy.

5. Ivan Provorov
His bounce back this season shoots him up to 5th place on the list. It will be tough to crack the top 4, but the Russian machine just might do it. He’s a legit #1 and just might be a true Franchise player.

6. Bob Dailey
The Count was a rare combo of size and skill and played well in all situations.

7. Brad McCrimmon
Trading the Beast was one of Clarke’s biggest mistakes as GM. McCrimmon was a heart and soul guy and he and Howe were the best pair in the NHL in the mid 80s. R.I.P. Beast

8. Jimmy Watson
The best pure Dman during the Bullies era, Watson was silky smooth and always underrated. He didn’t put up big offensive numbers, but he excelled at making smart reads and getting the puck quickly out of the zone and in transition.

9. Ed Van Impe
The 2nd Captain in franchise history, Van Impe was the prototypical defensive Dman in his era and known for his big hits and nasty elbows. It was one of his trademark elbows that caused the famed Soviet walk off in 76.

10. Barry Ashbee
The 10th spot was a tough call, but I had to go with Ashbee. He was the no nonsense heart and soul of the Bullies defense and even though he missed the Bruins series due to a career ending injury in the 74 playoffs, I don’t think the Flyers win the Cup without him. Also, no one, not even Poulin or Timonen, played through more pain than Barry Ashbee. You’ll see him wearing a neck brace in photos taken during the 73-74 season. He played the entire season with a severely pinched nerve in his neck and could not turn his head without excruciating pain. Teammates from that era still marvel about his toughness. R.I.P. Ashcan.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I’ll throw out some ideas:
  • Top 10 most fascist players
  • Top 10 ugliest players
  • Top 10 players most likely to speak in the 3rd person
Most fascist: Rob Zepp, f***er played in Germany, nuff said

Ugliest: Hayes in a landslide

3rd person speaker: gotta go with Alex Daigle. He was a douchebag and that’s the kind of thing douchebags do. Then again, I could see Roenick as a close 2nd

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

Can’t have top moments in Flyers history without:
Clarke scores in OT in game 2 of the 74 finals

Dornhoeffers game winner to give the Flyers their first series win ever in 73 vs Minnesota

Both Cup winning goals

Dave Poulins goal while 2 men short against the Nordiques in the 85 playoffs

and

Ed Van Impe’s crushing elbow that almost made the Soviets quit in 76

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Alright kids, because I’m bored waiting for tonight’s game, thought I’d harken back to my days at another site (blame Nutter for reminding me) and do some top 10 lists of best Flyers in various categories.

We’ll kick it off with the top 10 defensemen in Flyers history. Please post yours too, it’s fun to compare!

And away we go!!

1. Mark Howe
It’s not even close and it’s a travesty that he never won a Norris. In the mid to late 80s, Howe was the best all around Dman in the NHL

2. Eric Desjardins
Silky smooth, smart and tougher than many gave him credit for. He wasn’t a franchise D, but he was a legit all situations top pair player

3. Kimmo Timonen
The Finnish warrior was a throwback to the days when NHL players routinely played through hellacious injuries. Smart and skilled, Kimmo was unflappable under pressure and could log big time minutes

4. Chris Pronger
If he had lasted a couple more seasons, he’s likely #2 on the list (sorry Cap). Pronger was as smart as he was nasty, and could completely control a game when he was healthy.

5. Ivan Provorov
His bounce back this season shoots him up to 5th place on the list. It will be tough to crack the top 4, but the Russian machine just might do it. He’s a legit #1 and just might be a true Franchise player.

6. Bob Dailey
The Count was a rare combo of size and skill and played well in all situations.

7. Brad McCrimmon
Trading the Beast was one of Clarke’s biggest mistakes as GM. McCrimmon was a heart and soul guy and he and Howe were the best pair in the NHL in the mid 80s. R.I.P. Beast

8. Jimmy Watson
The best pure Dman during the Bullies era, Watson was silky smooth and always underrated. He didn’t put up big offensive numbers, but he excelled at making smart reads and getting the puck quickly out of the zone and in transition.

9. Ed Van Impe
The 2nd Captain in franchise history, Van Impe was the prototypical defensive Dman in his era and known for his big hits and nasty elbows. It was one of his trademark elbows that caused the famed Soviet walk off in 76.

10. Barry Ashbee
The 10th spot was a tough call, but I had to go with Ashbee. He was the no nonsense heart and soul of the Bullies defense and even though he missed the Bruins series due to a career ending injury in the 74 playoffs, I don’t think the Flyers win the Cup without him. Also, no one, not even Poulin or Timonen, played through more pain than Barry Ashbee. You’ll see him wearing a neck brace in photos taken during the 73-74 season. He played the entire season with a severely pinched nerve in his neck and could not turn his head without excruciating pain. Teammates from that era still marvel about his toughness. R.I.P. Ashcan.

Great work on this List... My only tweaks might be; Jimmy Watson should be placed higher... I'd prefer to withhold on Provo until his Career is more established... with Pronger I'm not so sure how to handle his brief healthy tenure in O&B; the one Season he was healthy, he was Monster Good and almost carried them to a Cup... I believed Kim Johnsson should be worked into the mix at some point; maybe if Provo and/or Pronger are not considered, but no matter what, he might rate a higher place than 9th or 10th.

... Just some thoughts.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Can’t have top moments in Flyers history without:
Clarke scores in OT in game 2 of the 74 finals

Dornhoeffers game winner to give the Flyers their first series win ever in 73 vs Minnesota

Both Cup winning goals

Dave Poulins goal while 2 men short against the Nordiques in the 85 playoffs

and

Ed Van Impe’s crushing elbow that almost made the Soviets quit in 76
Well I got 3 out of 6? lol The GWG for the cup are great obviously but how many spots should the 2 cups take on a top 10 list that spans 60 years

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
As the years advance, some games get lost in the shuffle. New memories replace old memories. A top 10 list has limitations. But other top games that will always hold awesome memories...

1974 The Flyers beating the Rangers in Game 7 in 1974 should never be forgotten. It was the first time an expansion team beat an Original 6 and it gave the Flyers the gusto to face the Bruins and beat them. It drops on these numbered lists but without it comes no Cup.

1977 It was one of the most dramatic recoveries in NHL playoffs history. And this can't be understood properly unless people experienced the time period. This was more than a hockey rivalry at the time. This was societal, almost as much as sports. The Flyers came off three straight Cup Finals. In 1976, members of the Flyers appeared in courts in Toronto due to on-ice violence. This Game 4 of 1977 was as much us-against-them as any game of this era. The Toronto-Philadelphia rivalry was immense. The Flyers lost the first two games of this 1977 series against Toronto, both games in Philadelphia. The scene in Toronto was beyond belief. Going to Toronto down 2-0 in games. The entire hockey world or so it seemed had the Flyers dead. "The Leafs have bloomed, the Flyers are doomed" was an image shown on TV from inside the arena prior to Game 3 when Rick MacLeish's OT game winner in Toronto. A little light shined. But then Game 4, one of the most remarkable events in NHL history and I will stick to that. Lanny MacDonald scored four goals, three on PPs for Toronto. Bruce Hood, as infamous as any ref in Flyers' history, issued 63 PIMs to the Flyers to 12 for Toronto. Plus, three Flyers' players were ejected. Three game misconducts including two members of the Flyers second line at the same time after they flipped out on Hood with over half the third period expired. To set the scene: The Leafs led by three goals with a little over five minutes to play and going up 3-1 in the series. A crazed Maple Leafs Garden. And yet another powerplay. Then a SHG by the Flyers re-booted their drive, 5-3. Then 5-4 with less than two minutes to play. Then Bobby Clarke scored with about a minute left in regulation. This was also one of the most inspiring games of Clarke's captaincy. Then the victory culminated with Reggie Leach's slapper in the final minute of OT. In case people don't know what a Reggie Leach slapper meant:

The Flyers eliminated Toronto for the third straight year. After the series, Lanny MacDonald famously said “Every year we seem to meet them, but next year we're gonna beat them if it takes 101 games.”

1985 Game 1 against the Rangers in 1985 was something exotic. The Flyers had lost 9 of 10 playoff games the prior three years. They had a rookie coach in Mike Keenan. They faced their nemesis of the past. Their archrivals. And they blew a lead in the final minute of regulation. Here we go again. And then Mark Howe scored. The weight of the world was collectively lifted off the shoulders of staff, players and yes even fans. That set the tone for the entire Cup run and the foundation for the "Baby Bullies," the new generation, as they were sometimes called.

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
As the years advance, some games get lost in the shuffle. New memories replace old memories. A top 10 list has limitations. But other top games that will always hold awesome memories...

1974 The Flyers beating the Rangers in Game 7 in 1974 should never be forgotten. It was the first time an expansion team beat an Original 6 and it gave the Flyers the gusto to face the Bruins and beat them. It drops on these numbered lists but without it comes no Cup.

1977 It was one of the most dramatic recoveries in NHL playoffs history. And this can't be described unless people experienced it. This was more than a hockey rivalry at the time. This was societal, almost as much as sports. The Flyers came off three straight Cup Finals. In 1976, members of the Flyers appeared in courts in Toronto due to on-ice violence. This Game 4 of 1977 was as much us-against-them as any game of this era. The Toronto-Philadelphia rivalry was immense. The Flyers lost the first two games of this 1977 series against Toronto, both games in Philadelphia. The scene in Toronto was beyond belief. Going to Toronto down 2-0 in games. The entire hockey world or so it seemed had the Flyers dead. "The Leafs have bloomed, the Flyers are doomed" was an image shown on TV from inside the arena prior to Game 3 when Rick MacLeish's OT game winner in Toronto. A little light shined. But then Game 4, one of the most remarkable events in NHL history and I will stick to that. Lanny MacDonald scored four goals, three on PPs for Toronto. Bruce Hood, as infamous as any ref in Flyers' history, issued 63 PIMs to the Flyers to 12 for Toronto. Plus, three Flyers' players were ejected. Three game misconducts including two members of the Flyers second line at the same time after they flipped out on Hood with over half the third period expired. To set the scene: The Leafs led by three goals with a little over five minutes to play. A crazed Maple Leafs Garden. And yet another powerplay. Then a SHG by the Flyers re-booted their drive. Then Bobby Clarke scored with about a minute left in regulation. This was also one of the most inspiring games of Clarke's captaincy. Then he victory culminated with Reggie Leach's slapper in the final minute of OT. In case people don't know what a Reggie Leach slapper meant:

The Flyers eliminated Toronto for the third straight year. After the series, Lanny MacDonald famously said “Every year we seem to meet them, but next year we're gonna beat them if it takes 101 games.”

1985 Game 1 against the Rangers in 1985 was something exotic. The Flyers had lost 9 of 10 playoff games the prior three years. They had a rookie coach in Mike Keenan. They faced their nemesis of the past. Their archrivals. And they blew a lead in the final minute of regulation. Here we go again. And then Mark Howe scored. The weight of the world was collectively lifted off the shoulders of staff, players and yes even fans. That set the tone for the entire Cup run and the foundation for the "Baby Bullies," the new generation, as they were sometimes called.

Fantastic stuff!! I remember them all. That era of Flyers hockey from 1972-1989 was unbelievable and will likely never be duplicated by the team again.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Ok kids, this is fun! Next we have the TOP 10 GAMES IN FLYERS HISTORY!
Thanks to MSE for the idea!

For a little added suspense, I'll do this in reverse order. All games marked with a *, I attended. And here we go!!

Just missed the cut:
Game 6 at Minnesota, 1st round, 1973 playoffs - Flyers win the first playoff series in franchise history
Game 7 vs NY Islanders, 1975 Cup semis - Flyers avert disaster after losing 3 straight and move on to the finals
*Flyers defeat the Soviet Red Army team in January, 1976 - The Flyers save the NHL's pride and crush the Soviets 4-1
Dec. 22, 1979 at Boston: The Flyers win and extend their unbeaten streak to 29 games setting a new pro sports record.
*Game 1 vs NYR, 1985 first round: MSE summed this up perfectly in his previous post. IT was awesome!
*Nov 15, 1985 vs EDM: behind call up goalie Darren Jensen, the Flyers fight past the tragedy of Pelle Lindbergh's death to defeat the defending Cup champions
*Game 6 vs PIT, 2012 1st round - THE SHIFT!

*10. Game 6 vs TB 2004 conference finals
It was the Keith Primeau show as the Flyers captain physically dominated the Lightning and sent the Flyers to a game 7 in Tampa. Sadly, the Flyers ran out of gas in that last game as their badly depleted D finally caught up to them. Primeau though was amazing that whole playoff run and the excitement in the building during game 6 was incredibly intense.

9. Game 7 at Washington, 2008 first round
The Flyers cap off one of the most amazing one year turn arounds in sports history and defeat the Caps in 7 on a goal by RJ Umberger. The Flyers had finished dead last in the NHL in 06-07 and no one picked them to even make the playoffs in 07-08. Instead, buoyed by some great moves by GM Paul Holmgren, fine coaching by John Stevens, and a great job by the new guys: Briere, Timonen and Hartnell, they made a run to the conference final.

8. Game 4 at Toronto, 1977 quarterfinals
The last 5 minutes of regulation along with the OT was just f***ing unreal. See MSE's post above for a detailed recounting of this amazing finish.

7. Game 4 at Pittsburgh, 2000 2nd round
Five OTs, no that is not a misprint, 5 OTs!! The stories from that game are epic. Eating cold pizza in the locker between OTs and Keith Jones' 5 second shifts stand out. Everyone remembers Primeau's goal to end it, but in my mind, the hero was Brian Boucher in the net. It might have been the best game of his life.

6. Game 7 at Boston, 2010 2nd round
Let me start by setting the scene. The Flyers drop the first 3 games in this series and everybody, even the most die hard homer fan, thought they were done. They in game 4 at home and most folks are thinking: ok, at least they salvaged some pride. They then go on to win game 5 in Boston and all of a sudden we start thinking: could this actually happen. The WF Center was rocking like crazy when the Flyers, with another fantastic effort, especially by Danny Briere, go on to win yet again and force a game 7. So back to Boston we go and damn, the first period isn't even over and 0ur boys are down 3-0. It looks like the magic has run out, but just wait. First, coach Peter Laviolette calls one of his trademark timeouts and tells the boys: just get one, get one and we are right back in this thing. Well God Bless the Pigeon as JVR does just that and it's 3-1 going into intermission. In the 2nd, Hartnell and Mr. Money, Danny Briere tie it up at 3 setting the stage for the final act. In the 3rd, someone on the Bruins has the ultimate brain fart and they are caught with too many men on the ice. Simon Gagne scores the game winner on the powerplay and caps the greatest series comeback in franchise history.

*5. Game 6 vs Edmonton, 1987 Cup finals
The Flyers stave off elimination and force a game 7 in 1987. Down 2-0 early, Lindsay Carson scores a huge goal to get the Flyers on the board. With about 8 minutes left in regulation, Glenn Anderson takes a flat out stupid high sticking penalty and Brian Propp rips a laser past Grant Fuhr to tie the game. A minute later with the building still rocking from Propp's goal, 3rd pair Dman JJ Daigneault scores the game winner and the Spectrum utterly explodes. I cannot describe how loud it was. All I can say is that my dad who was sitting right next to me tried to say something after JJs goal, and while I could see his mouth moving, I couldn't hear a f***ing thing. Fun fact about the game winning goal: Daigneault was heading to bench for a change, but Mark Howe who had played a ton that night, was still gasping for air and yelled at him to stay on. Daigneault barely made over the blue line to accept the past that led to the game winner. UNREAL!!

4. Game 7 vs NY Rangers 1974 semi finals
The Flyers stay perfect on home ice and become the first expansion team in history to defeat an original 6 team in the playoffs. Even though the Flyers had the better record, most prognosticators had picked New York to win the series. As MSE states in his post, this was the game that gave them the confidence to go on and beat Boston for the Cup. Parent was a stone wall in this one and he would go on and win the first of his back to back Conn Smythe trophies that Spring.

3. Game 6 at Buffalo, 1975 finals
The Flyers behind goals by Bob Hound Kelly and Bill Clement, put away the Sabres and go on to win their second consecutive Stanley Cup. Bernie Parent gets the shutout and wins his second consecutive Conn Smythe Trophy as well. The Flyers had won games one and two in Philly and went back to Buffalo full of confidence. However, with a little aid from indoor fog and a much better effort by the Sabres, Buffalo won games and 3 and 4 to even the series up. The Flyers, who were all but unbeatable at home, crushed the Sabres 5-1 in game 5 and returned to the Aud wanting to put this one away in 6. And they did as Bernie Parent was simply unbeatable that afternoon. Fun fact: Kelly, a 4th line energy guy, had barely played in the first 2 periods. Assistant coach Mike Nykoluk, feeling that the top 9 could use a bit more rest and knowing Kelly would play his ass off, suggested to coach Fred Shero to start Kelly with the top line to start the 3rd. It paid off big time as the Hound scored the biggest goal of his life to get the party started for the Flyers. Funnier fact: after the game and during the locker room celebration an older gentleman was sitting in Kelly's seat. As the gentleman congratulated Kelly on winning the Cup, Kelly responded by telling him to get the f*** out his seat. PA Governor Milton Schapp then proceeded to get up and out of Kelly's seat.

2. Game 2 at Boston, 1974 finals
While the Flyers had been perfect at home that Spring, on the road, against original 6 teams, they went into game 2 of the finals with an 0-4 record. They knew that somehow they had to win a game in Boston if they were going to win the Cup. It didn't start well as goals by Wayne Cashman and Phil Esposito gave the Bruins a 2-0 lead after the first period. Towards the end of a long shift to start the 2nd period, Flyers captain Bobby Clarke off of assists from Cowboy Bill Flett and the Hammer Dave Schultz scored to cut the lead in half. The Bruins for the most part, are still controlling the play in the 2nd, but Bernie Parent has an answer for everything they are throwing at him and we go into the 2nd intermission with the Flyers trailing 2-1. The ice begins to tilt in the Flyers favor in the 3rd period but goaltender Gilles Gilbert is flawless and as the clock ticks to under 2 minutes to play, it looks like the Flyers will coming back to Philly down 2-0 and in a huge hole. Then it happens. Clarke passes off to Rick Macleish, who, without a clear lane to shoot, dishes it back to Andre Moose Dupont at the point. Dupont, with Clarke and Flett jamming the net, winds up and blasts a slapper by Gilbert to tie the game and silence the Garden. 12 minutes into OT, once again assisted by Flett and Schultz, Bobby Clarke scores the biggest goal of his career and the Flyers win sending mongrel Southies everywhere into dejected fits of alcohol fueled rage. Bobby Clarke had so many great moments as a Flyer, but none were bigger than that OT goal. This was the game that, more than any other, made this bunch of hard working scruffs, believe they were going to win the Stanley Cup.

And at NUMBER ONE!!

1. Game 6 vs Boston, 1974 Cup finals
You all know what happened in this one. Behind superlative goaltending by Parent and a timely defection by Rick Macleish off a shot by the Moose, Andre Dupont to give the Flyers the only goal they needed in the first period, the Flyers defeat the Bruins 1-0 and become the first 1967 expansion team to win the Stanley Cup. Parent was particularly amazing in the 2nd period and also made a highlight reel save on Ken Hodge with about 5 minutes to go in the game. With just over 2 minutes left in the game, an exhausted Bobby Orr (he played well over 30 minutes that day) pulled down Bobby Clarke to prevent a breakaway. With Orr now in the box, the game was all but over and the Bruins would not a get another good scoring chance. The call by Gene Hart, the Flyers are going to win the Stanley Cup, the Flyers are going to win the Stanley Cup, THE FLYERS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!! is one of the most epic in Philadelphia sports history. Final fun fact: The Bruins had actually iced the puck with 4 seconds left, but with the crowd going nuts and already starting to spill over the boards, the officials decided to waive off the last 4 seconds figuring (rightly), that there was no way the Bruins could go from a faceoff in their own zone to scoring a goal in only 4 seconds. Let me finish by saying that for this 8 year old kid living in the Philly burbs, it was the happiest moment of my life at that point!!

And there you have it, as always, let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Most fascist: Rob Zepp, ****er played in Germany, nuff said

Ugliest: Hayes in a landslide

3rd person speaker: gotta go with Alex Daigle. He was a *****ebag and that’s the kind of thing *****ebags do. Then again, I could see Roenick as a close 2nd
Dennis Seidenberg was actually FROM Germany!!

(G and Briere also played in Germany during the last lockout)

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Ok kids, this is fun! Next we have the TOP 10 GAMES IN FLYERS HISTORY!
Thanks to MSE for the idea!

For a little added suspense, I'll do this in reverse order. All games marked with a *, I attended. And here we go!!

Just missed the cut:
Game 6 at Minnesota, 1st round, 1973 playoffs - Flyers win the first playoff series in franchise history
Game 7 vs NY Islanders, 1975 Cup semis - Flyers avert disaster after losing 3 straight and move on to the finals
*Flyers defeat the Soviet Red Army team in January, 1976 - The Flyers save the NHL's pride and crush the Soviets 4-1
Dec. 22, 1979 at Boston: The Flyers win and extend their unbeaten streak to 29 games setting a new pro sports record.
*Game 1 vs NYR, 1985 first round: MSE summed this up perfectly in his previous post. IT was awesome!
*Nov 15, 1985 vs EDM: behind call up goalie Darren Jensen, the Flyers fight past the tragedy of Pelle Lindbergh's death to defeat the defending Cup champions
*Game 6 vs PIT, 2012 1st round - THE SHIFT!

*10. Game 6 vs TB 2004 conference finals
It was the Keith Primeau show as the Flyers captain physically dominated the Lightning and sent the Flyers to a game 7 in Tampa. Sadly, the Flyers ran out of gas in that last game as their badly depleted D finally caught up to them. Primeau though was amazing that whole playoff run and the excitement in the building during game 6 was incredibly intense.

9. Game 7 at Washington, 2008 first round
The Flyers cap off one of the most amazing one year turn arounds in sports history and defeat the Caps in 7 on a goal by RJ Umberger. The Flyers had finished dead last in the NHL in 06-07 and no one picked them to even make the playoffs in 07-08. Instead, buoyed by some great moves by GM Paul Holmgren, fine coaching by John Stevens, and a great job by the new guys: Briere, Timonen and Hartnell, they made a run to the conference final.

8. Game 4 at Toronto, 1977 quarterfinals
The last 5 minutes of regulation along with the OT was just ****ing unreal. See MSE's post above for a detailed recounting of this amazing finish.

7. Game 4 at Pittsburgh, 2000 2nd round
Five OTs, no that is not a misprint, 5 OTs!! The stories from that game are epic. Eating cold pizza in the locker between OTs and Keith Jones' 5 second shifts stand out. Everyone remembers Primeau's goal to end it, but in my mind, the hero was Brian Boucher in the net. It might have been the best game of his life.

6. Game 7 at Boston, 2010 2nd round
Let me start by setting the scene. The Flyers drop the first 3 games in this series and everybody, even the most die hard homer fan, thought they were done. They in game 4 at home and most folks are thinking: ok, at least they salvaged some pride. They then go on to win game 5 in Boston and all of a sudden we start thinking: could this actually happen. The WF Center was rocking like crazy when the Flyers, with another fantastic effort, especially by Danny Briere, go on to win yet again and force a game 7. So back to Boston we go and damn, the first period isn't even over and 0ur boys are down 3-0. It looks like the magic has run out, but just wait. First, coach Peter Laviolette calls one of his trademark timeouts and tells the boys: just get one, get one and we are right back in this thing. Well God Bless the Pigeon as JVR does just that and it's 3-1 going into intermission. In the 2nd, Hartnell and Mr. Money, Danny Briere tie it up at 3 setting the stage for the final act. In the 3rd, someone on the Bruins has the ultimate brain fart and they are caught with too many men on the ice. Simon Gagne scores the game winner on the powerplay and caps the greatest series comeback in franchise history.

*5. Game 6 vs Edmonton, 1987 Cup finals
The Flyers stave off elimination and force a game 7 in 1987. Down 2-0 early, Lindsay Carson scores a huge goal to get the Flyers on the board. With about 8 minutes left in regulation, Glenn Anderson takes a flat out stupid high sticking penalty and Brian Propp rips a laser past Grant Fuhr to tie the game. A minute later with the building still rocking from Propp's goal, 3rd pair Dman JJ Daigneault scores the game winner and the Spectrum utterly explodes. I cannot describe how loud it was. All I can say is that my dad who was sitting right next to me tried to say something after JJs goal, and while I could see his mouth moving, I couldn't hear a ****ing thing. Fun fact about the game winning goal: Daigneault was heading to bench for a change, but Mark Howe who had played a ton that night, was still gasping for air and yelled at him to stay on. Daigneault barely made over the blue line to accept the past that led to the game winner. UNREAL!!

4. Game 7 vs NY Rangers 1974 semi finals
The Flyers stay perfect on home ice and become the first expansion team in history to defeat an original 6 team in the playoffs. Even though the Flyers had the better record, most prognosticators had picked New York to win the series. As MSE states in his post, this was the game that gave them the confidence to go on and beat Boston for the Cup. Parent was a stone wall in this one and he would go on and win the first of his back to back Conn Smythe trophies that Spring.

3. Game 6 at Buffalo, 1975 finals
The Flyers behind goals by Bob Hound Kelly and Bill Clement, put away the Sabres and go on to win their second consecutive Stanley Cup. Bernie Parent gets the shutout and wins his second consecutive Conn Smythe Trophy as well. The Flyers had won games one and two in Philly and went back to Buffalo full of confidence. However, with a little aid from indoor fog and a much better effort by the Sabres, Buffalo won games and 3 and 4 to even the series up. The Flyers, who were all but unbeatable at home, crushed the Sabres 5-1 in game 5 and returned to the Aud wanting to put this one away in 6. And they did as Bernie Parent was simply unbeatable that afternoon. Fun fact: Kelly, a 4th line energy guy, had barely played in the first 2 periods. Assistant coach Mike Nykoluk, feeling that the top 9 could use a bit more rest and knowing Kelly would play his ass off, suggested to coach Fred Shero to start Kelly with the top line to start the 3rd. It paid off big time as the Hound scored the biggest goal of his life to get the party started for the Flyers. Funnier fact: after the game and during the locker room celebration an older gentleman was sitting in Kelly's seat. As the gentleman congratulated Kelly on winning the Cup, Kelly responded by telling him to get the **** out his seat. PA Governor Milton Schapp then proceeded to get up and out of Kelly's seat.

2. Game 2 at Boston, 1974 finals
While the Flyers had been perfect at home that Spring, on the road, against original 6 teams, they went into game 2 of the finals with an 0-4 record. They knew that somehow they had to win a game in Boston if they were going to win the Cup. It didn't start well as goals by Wayne Cashman and Phil Esposito gave the Bruins a 2-0 lead after the first period. Towards the end of a long shift to start the 2nd period, Flyers captain Bobby Clarke off of assists from Cowboy Bill Flett and the Hammer Dave Schultz scored to cut the lead in half. The Bruins for the most part, are still controlling the play in the 2nd, but Bernie Parent has an answer for everything they are throwing at him and we go into the 2nd intermission with the Flyers trailing 2-1. The ice begins to tilt in the Flyers favor in the 3rd period but goaltender Gilles Gilbert is flawless and as the clock ticks to under 2 minutes to play, it looks like the Flyers will coming back to Philly down 2-0 and in a huge hole. Then it happens. Clarke passes off to Rick Macleish, who, without a clear lane to shoot, dishes it back to Andre Moose Dupont at the point. Dupont, with Clarke and Flett jamming the net, winds up and blasts a slapper by Gilbert to tie the game and silence the Garden. 12 minutes into OT, once again assisted by Flett and Schultz, Bobby Clarke scores the biggest goal of his career and the Flyers win sending mongrel Southies everywhere into dejected fits of alcohol fueled rage. Bobby Clarke had so many great moments as a Flyer, but none were bigger than that OT goal. This was the game that, more than any other, made this bunch of hard working scruffs, believe they were going to win the Stanley Cup.

And at NUMBER ONE!!

1. Game 6 vs Boston, 1974 Cup finals
You all know what happened in this one. Behind superlative goaltending by Parent and a timely defection by Rick Macleish off a shot by the Moose, Andre Dupont to give the Flyers the only goal they needed in the first period, the Flyers defeat the Bruins 1-0 and become the first 1967 expansion team to win the Stanley Cup. Parent was particularly amazing in the 2nd period and also made a highlight reel save on Ken Hodge with about 5 minutes to go in the game. With just over 2 minutes left in the game, an exhausted Bobby Orr (he played well over 30 minutes that day) pulled down Bobby Clarke to prevent a breakaway. With Orr now in the box, the game was all but over and the Bruins would not a get another good scoring chance. The call by Gene Hart, the Flyers are going to win the Stanley Cup, the Flyers are going to win the Stanley Cup, THE FLYERS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!! is one of the most epic in Philadelphia sports history. Final fun fact: The Bruins had actually iced the puck with 4 seconds left, but with the crowd going nuts and already starting to spill over the boards, the officials decided to waive off the last 4 seconds figuring (rightly), that there was no way the Bruins could go from a faceoff in their own zone to scoring a goal in only 4 seconds. Let me finish by saying that for this 8 year old kid living in the Philly burbs, it was the happiest moment of my life at that point!!

And there you have it, as always, let me know what you guys think.
Good stuff.

One note: Lupul ended the 2008 series vs Washington, not Umberger. ;)

Reactions: BiggE

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
How long before I can ruin this thread with a fascist TOP 10?

Seriously though. I love the history aspect of HFboards, I love reading through what MSE, BiggE and basically anyone here has to say about their experiences and the Flyers history. Basically the one reason why @Captain Dave Poulin will probably always be #2 (sorry!) in GDT creators behind @MiamiScreamingEagles for me. MSE's GDTs have been and are all time best

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
How long before I can ruin this thread with a fascist TOP 10?

Seriously though. I love the history aspect of HFboards, I love reading through what MSE, BiggE and basically anyone here has to say about their experiences and the Flyers history. Basically the one reason why @Captain Dave Poulin will probably always be #2 (sorry!) in GDT creators behind @MiamiScreamingEagles for me. MSE's GDTs have been and are all time best

Agreed, AINEC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad