Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Voting Results (Part 1)

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Don't want to spend this campaign fighting the previous battle- but generally speaking, I was more on your side than not... and I offer the following self-quotation in (qualified) support:
We've made 'no-brainer' context adjustments (for Orr and for his era) to easily put (Esposito) behind Béliveau, Morenz & Crosby. We've made sharper context adjustments and put him behind Nighbor, Messier & Mikita. We've probably taken this far enough. If we say his context is such that we put him behind Sakic and Clarke (ffs), then we've gone a bit overboard here.
Fortunately, I don't think we got too crazy with this- and (for a time) there was a clear peril that we WERE going to do so.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Come to think of it, did we ever had a situation in these projects where a newly available player ends up on top of the vote?

Full disclosure : I had Makarov 2nd in V6, sandwiched between Brodeur and Hall. I would also have had him second in V5, sandwiched between the exact same players. Hence the question.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Come to think of it, did we ever had a situation in these projects where a newly available player ends up on top of the vote?

Full disclosure : I had Makarov 2nd in V6, sandwiched between Brodeur and Hall. I would also have had him second in V5, sandwiched between the exact same players. Hence the question.

Ching Johnson was voted #1 in the defensemen project the first time he was available. For some reason, I remember that project more than the others. I don't know if it's happened since .

Edit: just looked back. It was actually Hod Stuart and Ching Johnson 1-2 the first round they appeared. Crazy round .

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ching Johnson was voted #1 in the defensemen project the first time he was available. For some reason, I remember that project more than the others. I don't know if it's happened since .

Edit: just looked back. It was actually Hod Stuart and Ching Johnson 1-2 the first round they appeared. Crazy round .

You kept that data? I thought it was lost.

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico
Very nice to see Fetisov and Makarov ending up being ranked back-to-back on our list and with only 10 voting points separating them. They really are very close to each other when it comes to achiviements and our voting results mirrors that very well.

While I personally had both of them ranked in my top 20 I think that 25th and 26th is a very fair ranking for them. Additionally I just realized that the 29 players added to our list so far are the exact same players that I had in my top 29 of the Round 1 list. That is something I did not think would happen beforehand.

Last edited:

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
Very nice to see Fetisov and Makarov ending up being ranked back-to-back on our list and with only 10 voting points separating them. They really are very close to each other when it comes to achiviements and our voting results mirrors that very well.

While I personally had both of them ranked in my top 20 I think that 25th and 26th is a very fair ranking for them. Additionally I just realized that the 29 players added to our list so far are the exact same players that I had in my top 29 of the Round 1 list. That is something I did not think would happen beforehand.

That's pretty incredible if you've got 29 out of 29 so far (I presume your ordering differs . . . if not, we might as well shut the project down and just go with your list). Any chance of your streak surviving the next vote?

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico
That's pretty incredible if you've got 29 out of 29 so far (I presume your ordering differs . . . if not, we might as well shut the project down and just go with your list). Any chance of your streak surviving the next vote?

Yes the order of the 29 is very different between the two lists. And I can already say that the streak will not survive the next vote. Or I will at least vote very differently myself in the 30-34 range than I did during the Round 1 list due to clearly overrating one player and underrating another back then.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Too low. Hurt by questionable "aesthetics" and the old "played with Orr" thing.
If Orr can be given that much credit for Espo's crazy-good peak numbers, he should have beaten Gretzky by a large margin in the first round.

The thing is that Gretzky had his impact for much longer.

If Orr had been healthy for 2 or 3 more years......

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

I have 28 out of 29 from my original list. The only person that we've ranked, who I've missed, was Fetisov - and I had him at #30. The only person I had in my top 29, who hasn't already been included, is Cyclone Taylor, who's up for debate now.

This means we're both influential, visionary trendsetters - or we're unimaginative conformists.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I was off on Fetisov (#30), Nighbor (#31) and Esposito (#39, and in retrospect, it was a bit too harsh).
Players from the Top-29 that didn't make it yet : Brodeur (#17), Robinson (#28) and Dryden (#29).

Five players in the 40ies being discussed now...

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Players available this round range from 25 to 45. Though my 25 player I definitely had too high and probably won't be in my top 5 this round (Sawchuk). Yzerman was 45.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I was off on Fetisov (#30), Nighbor (#31) and Esposito (#39, and in retrospect, it was a bit too harsh).
Players from the Top-29 that didn't make it yet : Brodeur (#17), Robinson (#28) and Dryden (#29).

Five players in the 40ies being discussed now...
I had Robinson 29.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The top player on my original list that is still up for debate (not on the list yet) is Terry Sawchuk at #26.Then Sakic and Brodeur at #27 and #28.Trottier at #30, Taylor at #31, Lalonde at #32, so on.

The top player on my list yet to be eligible is Henri Richard at #33, followed by Frank Boucher at #38.

Not too bad, though I made my list in a hurry at the deadline, took me an hour, so it wasn't the most thoughtful list.Thankfully the ATDs make it easier to come up with a decent Top 100 list.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
How many players have you nailed right on so far?

For me, just:

1. Gretzky
4. Lemieux
8. Harvey
15. Lidstrom

However Orr, Howe, Hull, Beliveau, Bourque, Hasek, Shore, Potvin, Lafleur off by a single spot.

On the opposite end, Guys I was way off on:

Messier - 10 spots
Jagr - 9
Nighbor - 8
Esposito - 7
Mikita/Ovechkin - 6

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Until Brodeur, Dryden, Gardiner and Vezina all get voted in waayyyy to late, that's Nighbor. 11 spots.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

For me, just:

1. Gretzky
4. Lemieux
8. Harvey
15. Lidstrom

However Orr, Howe, Hull, Beliveau, Bourque, Hasek, Shore, Potvin, Lafleur off by a single spot.

Messier - 10 spots
Jagr - 9
Nighbor - 8
Esposito - 7
Mikita/Ovechkin - 6
Hull and Harvey for me.
In fact, in each of the rounds of voting, Bobby Hull was the only guy I voted for at number 1 in his round who actually ended up number one in his round.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
My #19 is still not on the list. Neither are #22, 23, 24. My #38 is already enshrined. My #52 and #54 are available for discussion now...

The only players that has been inducted so far that hasn't been in my top 28 is Phil Esposito (40th) and Jaromir Jagr (32nd) Right now, my 28th 29th , 30th , 31st, 34th , 35th, 38th , 41st, 42nd, 43rd, 44th are currently up.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

For me, just:

1. Gretzky
4. Lemieux
8. Harvey
15. Lidstrom

Messier - 10 spots
Jagr - 9
Nighbor - 8
Esposito - 7
Mikita/Ovechkin - 6

I'm proud to say so far i only have 1 player right - Gretzky lol.

Only 4 of the players in my top 29 aren't yet inducted, and 3 of those are up for vote now (Brodeur, Bossy, Sawchuk). I think my #26 might be a while though..

Reactions: Sentinel

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

I was bang on for the Big Four, Ovechkin, Esposito, and Hall. I was off by one spot on Beliveau, Hasek, Shore and Makarov.

I had these players at least 5 spots higher than the final list - Jagr, Messier, Mikita and Clarke.

I had these players at least 5 spots lower than the final list - Roy, Potvin, Nighbor, and Fetisov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad