Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Voting Results (Part 1)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Wow. Thanks for the reminder. Every candidate is going to have to get a Vote next Round. Then, the round afterwards, the gate really opens up and our ballots will have to have three NRs.

For the next nomination, Dryden seems likely- and Chelios seems likely. After that, I don't know wth the nominating committee is going to come up with.

I can see myself favoring a LOT of remainders from the un-advanced of this round.

I say we go full boring and the next ones are Brad Park and Paul Coffey because of course, Terry Sawchuk has to look good at a certain point.

And then Clancy, C. Conacher, Pilote, Schmidt, H. Richard, F. Boucher with two other players. And the real fun begins.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I say we go full boring and the next ones are Brad Park and Paul Coffey because of course, Terry Sawchuk has to look good at a certain point.
Yeah, those two (plus recent arrivals Lindsay & Yzerman) definitely land on the "Terry Sawchuk looks good now" plane.

Seems like "full boring" has a better chance of happening than "halfway interesting" (e.g.: King Clancy & Charlie Conacher). Might not be the worst thing heading into people's busy last-minute Holiday hours.

Not the upcoming one (8), but Vote 9 figures to be the one that can't help but be interesting- and I'm hoping it will re-energize us after a period of flagging contributions.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
It's that time again.

I'm guessing Brodeur, Sakic, Trottier, Taylor and Cook go in.

I have no idea who's up next. I could see some C's from Frank Boucher to Evgeni Malkin. For defencemen I nould see Pilote or Park, feel too early for anyone else (might be too early for these two as well). I could see Dryden, but I think it's too early for him still. Don't see any wingers that are due up yet.

I'm going to predict:
Dryden
Pilote
Forbserg
2 of Boucher/Schmidt/Apps/Malkin/Park

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yeah, Brodeur should have gone in a while ago...it's interesting that he's the player most directly effected by coaching in the history of the game though...despite being terrific in every situation he was ever put in: in multiple eras, for multiple coaches, outside of NJ, in the playoffs, in the regular season, and against the toughest competition in history for goaltending...he checks off every box, hell, even the people that fetishize goal-scorers as being superhuman, he offers that too haha...

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Preliminary Discussion Thread (Revenge of Michael Myers)

4 new next round.
Then a whopping 8.
Then 3.

To be honest, as a participant and without any criticism towards quoipourquoi, I can already say that I'd prefer if we would have more available players, so as to not make the R2 results too much dependant on the R1 results.

Voting only 4 players each round might have been possible but that would set us for A LOT of rounds.

To be honest, I am not a fan of only discussing 10-11 players per round in the 50-100 range.

Definitely gives too much power to Round 1 lists IMO

I would have said this when QPQ first posted it, but I honestly didn't see his post, as it was buried in pages and pages of (IMO premature) arguments about players.

@quoipourquoi , without adding to your workload, once we expand to 13 candidates, is it possible to keep the number of available candidates close to that number for a few rounds and see how it goes?

Last edited:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
PlayerBallotsPoints1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th10thNR
Martin Brodeur302371632 213 21
Bryan Trottier30197223689
Joe Sakic30194 65635212
Cyclone Taylor301864651212432
Bill Cook27180346331322 3
Larry Robinson29142 5234131641
Mike Bossy29142 1441458111
Terry Sawchuk261153 123235164
Steve Yzerman2510011 33312655
Newsy Lalonde269511111147454
Ted Lindsay1862 111 24 3612
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Nailed the top 5! Brodeur and Sakic the same spot I had them.

Interesting to see 3 1st votes for Sawchuk, don't recall anyone really going to bat for him.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The 5 I thought would make it did, though I wasn't totally sure about Taylor (Note this wasn't my exact top 5, just who I thought would make it based on discussion).

Did not expect Sakic and Trottier to flip from the centers project. I don't really agree with it, but I understand the argument there at least.

Bill Cook finishing under Cyclone Taylor due to 3 NRs is pretty lame though. "Star power" indeed.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The 5 I thought would make it did, though I wasn't totally sure about Taylor (Note this wasn't my exact top 5, just who I thought would make it based on discussion).

Did not expect Sakic and Trottier to flip from the centers project. I don't really agree with it, but I understand the argument there at least.

Bill Cook finishing under Cyclone Taylor due to 3 NRs is pretty lame though. "Star power" indeed.
I blame you for not putting Joe 1st on your ballot.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
To be honest, I am not a fan of only discussing 10-11 players per round in the 50-100 range.

Definitely gives too much power to Round 1 lists IMO

I would have said this when QPQ first posted it, but I honestly didn't see his post, as it was buried in pages and pages of (IMO premature) arguments about players.

@quoipourquoi , without adding to your workload, once we expand to 13 candidates, is it possible to keep the number of available candidates close to that number for a few rounds and see how it goes?

The reason we’re expanding to 13 for a round is that four players fall between 2094-2101 aggregate points. To maintain that number of candidates, we’d be including players separated by gaps of 100+ points.

Probably sticking with the 10 candidates + anyone within 99% of 10th until the final round.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Holy crap I didn't even have time to send in my votes, was going to vote before 9 pm then just forgot about it.Honestly I thought sending him over the night owuld also be fine since usually they only go late on Monday.

My apologies

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Holy crap I didn't even have time to send in my votes, was going to vote before 9 pm then just forgot about it.Honestly I thought sending him over the night owuld also be fine since usually they only go late on Monday.

My apologies

Still send it in to me, that way we have it for the individual voting thread.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Cook, Robinson and Bossy not making it, coupled with Dryden and Chelios' probable candidacy, might just make the next round the easiest as far as the identity of the first five players is concerned.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Cook, Robinson and Bossy not making it, coupled with Dryden and Chelios' probable candidacy, might just make the next round the easiest as far as the identity of the first five players is concerned.

I'm surprised that Cook and Robinson didn't make it.

Bossy wasn't that big of a surprise though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad