Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Preliminary Discussion Thread (Citizens on Patrol)

Where is your list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I consider a defenseman's primary responsibility to be defensive, a forward's is offensive, ESPECIALLY when reducing the plethora of great players down to a limited list. (Congrats Esposito & Quackenbush.)

Sorry Housley and Carbonneau.

Of course, dominance can be reflected by extremely talented secondary roles writ large. Hence, Nighbor and Coffey are simply... exceptional.

Last edited:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I consider a defenseman's primary responsibility to be defensive, a forward's is offensive, ESPECIALLY when reducing the plethora of great players down to a limited list. (Congrats Esposito & Quackenbush.)

Sorry Housley and Carbonneau.

Of course, dominance can be reflected by extremely talented secondary roles writ large. Hence, Nighbor and Coffey are simply... exceptional.
You are 100 per cent correct... for "normal" players. To make the top 120, you gotta bring more to the table than than your second-line teammate or your responsible stay-at-home defenseman. That's not to say that Rod Langway isn't on my list (he most certainly is), but there are several defenseman ahead of him... some who never won the Norris Trophy.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
You are 100 per cent correct... for "normal" players. To make the top 120, you gotta bring more to the table than than your second-line teammate or your responsible stay-at-home defenseman. That's not to say that Rod Langway isn't on my list (he most certainly is), but there are several defenseman ahead of him... some who never won the Norris Trophy.
I agree. I just don't necessarily agree you have to bring something different. If you bring the same element, but do it in an all-time great manner, you certainly have a spot on my list.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Worters was a Hart trophy winner (and a runner-up another year) in the 1920's.

It depends how many goalies are on your list. Hainsworth and Lehman might be relevant.

(I wonder if Babe Dye or Lionel Conacher or Frank McGee were at least longlisted for consideration, given some names on your list.)
His name has been discussed before, and as I recall Frank McGee will be on more than a couple of lists. I don't know if I can say the same for Babe Dye or possibly the third best Conacher.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I did have Robitaille temporarily on my list early on, but was an easy cut upon further review.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
101. Luc Robitaille (LW)
109. Mark Recchi (LW)
Don't take this the wrong way, but your is the list I am most interested to see, considering how different it seems it will be from my own. I have a hard time imagining how many players I would have to name to get to Mark Recchi. It might be close to 200, or more.

Reactions: Sentinel

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
If Recchi is in...Kariya is over him, right? Or no?
Kariya was tragedy if you're in to personal legacies. He played on horrible teams early in his career, yet was clearly the "real" Most Valuable Player. Then injuries robbed him of very probable Maurice Richard Trophies, an Art Ross, a Hart and a Gold Medal.

...and a spot among my top 120.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Crosby was only twice top 5 in goals, six times top 5 in assists.

It was due to injuries.

Tragically, that affects where he stands on your list, right?
Are you comparing Kariya to Crosby? Kinda taking things out of context if you are.

Orr, Bossy and especially Crosby already made massive impacts in the game before injuries too their toll. Kariya was robbed of his best statistical years.

... and if Crosby had never been injured, he may very well have had another Art Ross and Hart (or two), and he would have likely been higher on all of our lists.

But I was talking about Kariya. By the tone of your post, I have to ask where you put Paul Kariya on your list?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I went through 3 major versions of my list. The following is the names that did not move at all throughout all 3 versions.

The top 4
5. Beliveau
10. Patrick Roy
12. Dominik Hasek
58. Charlie Conacher
60. Frank Boucher
62. Frank Brimesek
63. Sprague Cleghorn
65. Chris Pronger

I did a lot of shuffling between in the top half of the list, and a lot more in the bottom half. But somehow the names that landed right at the halfway points didn't change much at all.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Pronger is one you always find yourself willing to put higher than the paper sheets necessarily point to, I find...Be interesting when we're twenty years removed from his career.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Pronger is one you always find yourself willing to put higher than the paper sheets necessarily point to, I find...Be interesting when we're twenty years removed from his career.
If the paper sheets are stats and trophies, yeah.

But one's eye test and memories of a player's dominance are equivalent to the paper sheets of newspaper accounts and history books citing the comments, analysis and opinions of a player's contemporaries.

Judge a guy like Morenz or Nighbor on more than stats and trophies. There is a lot of ink on them. Read alltime draft bios.on the linked master bio thread on the ATD subboard. Google 'books' references to players. Surf the net or go to the library if anyone does that anymore.

One hopes the greatness of Pronger won't be lost in The Great Internet Crash of 2085.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
His Hart win in the modern era are very impressive to me. Defencemen simply don't win Hart trophies any more. And I don't see any evidence that his play was significantly worse in the years surrounding his win.

Reactions: Thenameless

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I went through 3 major versions of my list. The following is the names that did not move at all throughout all 3 versions.

The top 4
5. Beliveau
10. Patrick Roy
12. Dominik Hasek
58. Charlie Conacher
60. Frank Boucher
62. Frank Brimesek
63. Sprague Cleghorn
65. Chris Pronger

I did a lot of shuffling between in the top half of the list, and a lot more in the bottom half. But somehow the names that landed right at the halfway points didn't change much at all.

Some similarities, especial with Conacher.

We're close in a few places according to those few players you mentioned. Obviously Beliveau is in my top 10 so no need to go into detail there. I have Hasek one ahead of Roy (15 and 16) I have Conacher at 58 as well, I have Pronger at 67 and Cleghorn at 68.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
His Hart win in the modern era are very impressive to me. Defencemen simply don't win Hart trophies any more. And I don't see any evidence that his play was significantly worse in the years surrounding his win.
He was also a shoe-in for the Conn Smythe had Edmonton beaten Carolina in game 7.

Reactions: VanIslander

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
If the paper sheets are stats and trophies, yeah.

But one's eye test and memories of a player's dominance are equivalent to the paper sheets of newspaper accounts and history books citing the comments, analysis and opinions of a player's contemporaries.

Judge a guy like Morenz or Nighbor on more than stats and trophies. There is a lot of ink on them. Read alltime draft bios.on the linked master bio thread on the ATD subboard. Google 'books' references to players. Surf the net or go to the library if anyone does that anymore.

One hopes the greatness of Pronger won't be lost in The Great Internet Crash of 2085.

Not saying it is wrong, it'll just be interesting what time and some perspective does on Pronger's number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad