Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Preliminary Discussion Thread (Citizens on Patrol)

Where is your list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think Hossa was CLEARLY better than Recchi (I've played golf with Mark and he'll forgive me the statement). Hossa should be inducted into the hall, given others who are there. But even this huge fan of his cannot justify including him over a Delvecchio or Keon.

Oh, Hossa will be in the Hall of Fame. He has good enough numbers for it and it'll help him that he's won three Cups (seriously, Gillies and Anderson aren't better than Hossa).

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I just sent in my list.

To make it easier to aggregate the submitted lists, please list players using their most commonly used name; e.g. Tim Thomas, not Timothy Thomas Jr.; Justin Williams, not Justinus Septum Williams

Just to make sure we're being consistent, everyone is typing it as "Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla", right? (*ducks*)

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Let's stop overrating McGee's playoffs

Yeah, if you look at the actual opponents he kinda feasted on Dawson and some other semi-suspect teams (Brandon). A player on his own team that shows up well against tougher opponents is Harry Westwick. McGee wasn't bad against better teams though.

Reactions: Killion

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I ignore Dawson City entirely.

McGee scored a lot against the best teams of his era in Montreal, Toronto and the first pro league (Federal).

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
My underrated players from this era (off the top of my head) is Jack Walker, Harry Cameron and Harry Westwick.

Players from the same era I would consider a bit overrated is Hod Stuart, Eddie Gerard and (to a certain extent) Sprague Cleghorn. Doesn't mean those players were bad or didn't make some difference for their teams though.

Walker and Westwick were the preeminent defensive conscience players in the 7 man game, outside of the offensive center position (rover or winger). Nighbor also brought this type of game to the center position (he kind of had to because the NHA abandoned the 7 man game well earlier than the PCHA, so there was no extra guy there to clean up behind you if you were going full throttle offense). McGee had Westwick and Bowie had Blair Russel.

Hod Stuart's value is a bit dubious to me. He hopped a lot of teams and when he finally won a Cup with the Wanderers he doesn't seem to have been a very decisive player. Let's just say this team won several Cups without him. I don't even know if he was a better player than his younger brother, to be honest. Or better than Moose Johnson.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Walker and Westwick were the preeminent defensive conscience players in the 7 man game, outside of the offensive center position
HHOFer Tommy Phillips.

Phillips was deemed the best defensive forward 1900-1909 by Ultimate Hockey. The Hockey News came out with a greatest non-NHLers ever line-up and at wing had Phillips. Art Ross - HHOF player and coach/GM of the original Boston team he himself named the 'Bruins' - Ross said Phillips was the best player he's ever seen. Lester Patrick had him on his all-time greatest starting lineup. There are countless references to his defensive play. Really guys, check out the master bio link on the ATD subboard to find plenty of specific quotes about alltime great players.

Last edited:

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
My underrated players from this era (off the top of my head) is Jack Walker, Harry Cameron and Harry Westwick.

Players from the same era I would consider a bit overrated is Hod Stuart, Eddie Gerard and (to a certain extent) Sprague Cleghorn. Doesn't mean those players were bad or didn't make some difference for their teams though.

Walker and Westwick were the preeminent defensive conscience players in the 7 man game, outside of the offensive center position (rover or winger). Nighbor also brought this type of game to the center position (he kind of had to because the NHA abandoned the 7 man game well earlier than the PCHA, so there was no extra guy there to clean up behind you if you were going full throttle offense). McGee had Westwick and Bowie had Blair Russel.

Hod Stuart's value is a bit dubious to me. He hopped a lot of teams and when he finally won a Cup with the Wanderers he doesn't seem to have been a very decisive player. Let's just say this team won several Cups without him. I don't even know if he was a better player than his younger brother, to be honest. Or better than Moose Johnson.

I thought about Cameron, but ultimately ran out of space for him.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Let's play a blame game...

The 1960 thru, say, 1976 or so Chicago Blackhawks collected just one Stanley Cup.

Who do you point the finger at, in order of fingers used to point, for their apparent lack of playoff success...?

A) Glenn Hall
B) Bobby Hull
C) Stan Mikita
D) Pierre Pilote
E) Pilous/Reay (coaching)
F) The field

My personal feeling is that I would not be pointing at Hull or Pilote at all in this scenario...Mikita and Hall are a different story...but I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts...

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

The 1960 thru, say, 1976 or so Chicago Blackhawks collected just one Stanley Cup.

Who do you point the finger at, in order of fingers used to point, for their apparent lack of playoff success...?

A) Glenn Hall
B) Bobby Hull
C) Stan Mikita
D) Pierre Pilote
F) The field

My personal feeling is that I would not be pointing at Hull or Pilote at all in this scenario...Mikita and Hall are a different story...but I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts...

Overall ownership responsibility and management.

1961 after winning SC let 4 key support players leave - Litzenberger(captain), Sloan,Arbour, Earl Belfour leave while losing Vic Hadfield in the draft.

Litzenberger and Arbour became contributors to the Toronto dynasty, Arbour a key piece in St.Louis. Players they kept/acquired were inadequate.

Traded good young talent - Doug Barkley, Roger Crozier for spare parts next two seasons.

Lost Bobby Hull in 1972 to the WHA yet went to the finals in 1973.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

A) Glenn Hall
B) Bobby Hull
C) Stan Mikita
D) Pierre Pilote
F) The field

I'm not quite familiar enough with them (as in, I never saw them play), but my reading has pretty much always been the following :

X)
X)
X)
C)
D)
B)

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Just wondering if we are suppose to get confirmation of our lists being received.

I got it. We’re up to 9 lists so far. I’ll probably send this set to the screeners today and the final set just after the deadline.

EDIT: ...actually, I should probably wait for most of the screeners to finish.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
That's taking it to the extreme. There's a good chance Hod fails to make my final list, but you'd have to completely ignore everything that everyone who watched these guys play said in order to doubt whether Hod was better than his brother.

Reactions: seventieslord

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
That's taking it to the extreme. There's a good chance Hod fails to make my final list, but you'd have to completely ignore everything that everyone who watched these guys play said in order to doubt whether Hod was better than his brother.

I guess that's possible, but when I read some of that praise I get the feeling Hod was the original size fetish player. Sometimes you need to read between the lines. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad