Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Preliminary Discussion Thread (Citizens on Patrol)

Where is your list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Waited years for this project and missed the deadline... so 2028 it is. :(
It was by position. So I had something like

D : Orr, Harvey, Bourque, Lidstrom (...)
W : Howe, Hull, Richard, Jagr (...)
C : Gretzky, Lemieux, Beliveau, Crosby (...)
G : Roy, Hasek, Plante, Brodeur (...)

1 - Who is the best between Orr, Howe, Greztky and Roy? Greztky
2 - Who is the best between Orr, Howe, Lemieux and Roy? Orr
3 - Who is the best between Harvey, Howe, Lemieux and Roy? Howe
4 - Who is the best between Harvey, Hull, Lemieux and Roy? Lemieux

(up until 120).

Probably not the best way to do it, but possibly the best way to not get completely mad around mid-point, and should've been foolproof against omissions (Joliat missing was a C+P gone wrong)

That's for the process.
I would have done it like that/I did an overall A-T list with this process.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm curious, did Datsyuk make most people's top 100 list? I think he absolutely belongs on the list, but I'm very biased.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm curious, did Datsyuk make most people's top 100 list? I think he absolutely belongs on the list, but I'm very biased.
Not on mine. Wouldn't even put him very close TBH. Two great peak seasons, two other good prime seasons, but other than that I don't think he moved the needle for me.

His selke-record is a bit overrated. I remember at the time his takeaway numbers were a huge argument in his favor (and in hindsight his possession stats were pretty insane but then that whole team was insane). I don't remember him being a fixture on the PK (although maybe someone remembers differently?) and I always personally considered Z to be the better defender between the two.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Datsyuk wasn't in the same class as Frank Nighbor, that's for sure. Everyone who has seen both play could attest to that.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Not on mine. Wouldn't even put him very close TBH. Two great peak seasons, two other good prime seasons, but other than that I don't think he moved the needle for me.

His selke-record is a bit overrated. I remember at the time his takeaway numbers were a huge argument in his favor (and in hindsight his possession stats were pretty insane but then that whole team was insane). I don't remember him being a fixture on the PK (although maybe someone remembers differently?) and I always personally considered Z to be the better defender between the two.

2 other good prime seasons? This makes no sense lol. He was a point-per game player 8 times. Saying he was only good for 4 years is ridiculous, I'm sorry. You are allowed to not have him on your list, but your analysis is wrong. I'd love to see who you included over him, just to see how these players "prime years" stack up to a guy who was a point per game 8 times.

Reactions: Sentinel

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
2 other good prime seasons? This makes no sense lol. He was a point-per game player 8 times. Saying he was only good for 4 years is ridiculous, I'm sorry. You are allowed to not have him on your list, but your analysis is wrong. I'd love to see who you included over him, just to see how these players "prime years" stack up to a guy who was a point per game 8 times.
By my count he has 7, and all but the four mentioned took place in shortened years. And I never said he was "only good for 4 years". But a season where he scores 59 points in 56 games isn't the type of season that is going to move the needle for me on a top 100 players of all-time list.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I included the 67 in 70, so you're right, 7 point per game seasons, with a few others close to it.

Regardless, he was a dominant player his entire career. I think your assessment of his prime is off. He didn't really have a prime, because he was always good, and always in his prime. He was a sure-fire top 5 player for over a decade. I think that's good enough for the top 100. I don't mean to attack your opinion, I just don't think you are giving him enough credit. Out of curiosity, who did you have from 91-100?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I included the 67 in 70, so you're right, 7 point per game seasons, with a few others close to it.

Regardless, he was a dominant player his entire career. I think your assessment of his prime is off. He didn't really have a prime, because he was always good, and always in his prime. He was a sure-fire top 5 player for over a decade. I think that's good enough for the top 100. I don't mean to attack your opinion, I just don't think you are giving him enough credit. Out of curiosity, who did you have from 91-100?
Don't know if you've been following this project along at all or not, but you'd be surprised at the number of quality players that get left off in the end. Some I really hoped I could justify squeezing in (Luongo :( ) but at the end of the day 120 names for 120 years of hockey history is a tough task.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

91 - Borje Salming
92 – Teemu Selanne
93 – Martin St. Louis
94 - Serge Savard
95 – Dickie Moore
96 - Scott Stevens
97 - Dave Keon
98 – Jarome Iginla
99 - Charlie Gardiner
100 - Ron Francis

I don't see anyone on that list he's obviously better than, but you're free to disagree.

I doubt anyone wasted their time considering Vincent Lecavalier for very long, if his name ever came up at all.
I don't even think Vinny is HHOF-worthy, forget top 100 players all time worthy. And Vinny is like top 3 favorite player for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad