Music: Tool - FEAR INOCULUM - August 30th release

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Courtesy of the Tool reddit, probably applies to a few of us on here.

pd7cyojw2jj31.jpg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Lol 30 vs now 43 when each album was released.

Mine just arrived time to have fun with this fancy packaging and have me a listen.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
just finished listening and have to say, absolutely love it. definitely get lateralus vibes. just wish maynard was a little angrier but given where he's at in life now i can't blame him for not being the old, angry maynard

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
just finished listening and have to say, absolutely love it. definitely get lateralus vibes. just wish maynard was a little angrier but given where he's at in life now i can't blame him for not being the old, angry maynard

That's what people said when Hesitation Marks came out for NIN. Why is Trent not the Trent of The Downward Spiral? Well he has evolved, he is older, he is no longer on heroin, he is married and a father. Life changes and these amazing artists reflect it in their music and it does not mean it's bad, just different.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm pretty f***ing hyped on it. Each song is more of a score than a song, which is definitely the next evolution of their sound.

Many more listens to determine my favorite.

Reactions: beowulf

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I’m leaning towards Descending and I’ve had the riff from Pneuma stuck in my head all day and I’ve only heard the song twice.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Wow...

Tool whipped out their mighty sonic co**s and just smacked all of us in the face with it.

I was 22 when 10,000 Days came out, saw them on that tour but 10,000 Days seemed to leave me wanting a little...

Hardest rocking tool album since Undertow.

Lots of cool new tricks like synthesizers and new drums for Carey.

MJK more chilled out and introspective on some tracks.

But still it's a Tool record.

And that's what separates Tool from, suppose Radiohead (and I'm a huge Radiohead fan)...sometimes I think Yorke and Greenwood are taking the piss and experimenting just to experiment - Tool experiments and is still Tool.

The three standout tracks were the title track, Pneuma and 7empest.

The title track, which I didn't know was Tool until I heard Chancellor's bass come in (he has a very distinctive tone, muddy, a little delay and reverb, as I had noticed people discussing him above) conjured Eulogy and some of the more slow burn tracks on Lateralus.

Pneuma has a sort of Schism vibe but seems to have even more time shifts and crunchier riffs from Jones.

And as for 7empest...you can really see the King Crimson influence in the intro, then Jones just lobs crushing riff after crushing riff at you.

Sure, not every track needs to be a 12+ minute jammer, but I'm not complaining.

Favorite Tool record still Lateralus followed very closely by Aenima, but this one could get up there.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Just finished my second listen. It takes you to some familar places with some of the riffs, but I like that they snuck in some classic metal stuff here and there and I liked the soloing on this album a lot.

does it take top spot from Lateralus?? hmm...I need more time I think.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
2nd listen through, 1st time with the good headphones. Culling Voices is sneaky great.....didn't make a huge impression first time...but this 2nd run through really hit me.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
2nd listen through, 1st time with the good headphones. Culling Voices is sneaky great.....didn't make a huge impression first time...but this 2nd run through really hit me.

Had the same experience.

I'd say my only minor critiques of the album thus far is outside of Culling Voices and Fear Inoculum, most of the songs don't feature a vocal refrain that defines the song. But it's a more musical vs. vocal album, not a big deal..

Second critique would be that there may be a few too many 'chugging' sections.

But minor critiques on an otherwise really f***ing incredible album.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
as much as i'm enjoying this new album there's no way it beats undertow or lateralus for me

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I just skimmed through the songs yesterday, and my first impression was they all seem a bit pretentious

Tool has absolutely earned the right to create whatever sound they choose, but these 12 minute songs just don't seem that memorable to me. Epic? Sure, but nothing that really sticks out. Gimme something I can sing along to in the shower!

But, who am I to wave my finger? I must've been out my head

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Had the same experience.

I'd say my only minor critiques of the album thus far is outside of Culling Voices and Fear Inoculum, most of the songs don't feature a vocal refrain that defines the song. But it's a more musical vs. vocal album, not a big deal..

Second critique would be that there may be a few too many 'chugging' sections.

But minor critiques on an otherwise really ****ing incredible album.

What's interesting is that Danny wanting to make this a one huge song album and says he would be still up for trying that in the future.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What's interesting is that Danny wanting to make this a one huge song album and says he would be still up for trying that in the future.

He wants to do another one but sooner rather than later. Might see their final album come in the next 3-4 years. Maybe that's what they do.

Reactions: beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sold out all around me.. even crazier when I saw the $44 price... why????
That's the deluxe package.

See the video I posted above of mine. It includes the CD, an access code to download a digital copy, a "book" with lyrics, pictures and art and the big expense is the video screen and speaker in the package that plays a piece of visual art with instrumental music along with a USB recharging cable.

Reactions: CPTN71

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
That's the deluxe package.

See the video I posted above of mine. It includes the CD, an access code to download a digital copy, a "book" with lyrics, pictures and art and the big expense is the video screen and speaker in the package that plays a piece of visual art with instrumental music along with a USB recharging cable.

A standard version hasn’t been announced as far as I know.

Reactions: CPTN71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad