Music: Tool - FEAR INOCULUM - August 30th release

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Problem with that is, my dad still listens/prefers physical CDs... :huh:
I would not be surprised if they release just a regular cd package at some point as this deluxe one says limited edition and on amazon.ca it already says sold out. I got it for
$60 CDN as a pre-order and it now lists it as $74.

Reactions: CPTN71

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I've listened to the album a ton since it's release and it's a classic, right up there with Lateralus and Aenima

I also think Pneuma is my new favorite song, I've been listening to it on repeat for days :laugh:

Only Tool can make albums decades apart and still remain relevant, add new artistic elements and keep their distinctive sound somehow

Just an incredible band

Reactions: Ol' Jase

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Pre-sale is open and here is the title track!!! NEW TOOL MUSIC!

As an avid Tool fan this was pretty underwhelming. We waited how many years for a song we've already heard? I found myself skipping through minutes and hearing the same thing. While I appreciate that Tool is its own unique sound and I applaud it, this was simply just a letdown. 2/10

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I love it and can't stop listening. My top 3 songs on album are:
7empest
Invincible
Descending

with Pneuma coming soooooo close to being top 3. I just love the ending to Descending though, so it barely beats it out.

Also saw that they are playing 2 nights in Toronto. I hope I can get tickets.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
As an avid Tool fan this was pretty underwhelming. We waited how many years for a song we've already heard? I found myself skipping through minutes and hearing the same thing. While I appreciate that Tool is its own unique sound and I applaud it, this was simply just a letdown. 2/10
I guess different strokes for different folks.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I love it and can't stop listening. My top 3 songs on album are:
7empest
Invincible
Descending

with Pneuma coming soooooo close to being top 3. I just love the ending to Descending though, so it barely beats it out.

Also saw that they are playing 2 nights in Toronto. I hope I can get tickets.

I am hoping to find a way of going unless they announce a Montreal show. All depends on when my open heart surgery is.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I posted this on Facebook about it:

Yeah...I'm not feeling the new Tool.

It listens like a paint-by-numbers Tool instructional and not in a good way, some songs are unnecessarily long (whereas prior Tool songs are NECESSARILY long), the lyrics aren't really hitting me like other releases, and where the raw sonic quality could've grabbed me it doesn't sound as good or as meticulously refined as 10,000 Days.

Eh.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I posted this on Facebook about it:

yeah i'd probably put this at the bottom of my list of favorite tool albums. i've enjoyed each of their albums, including this one, but its just not doing it for me. aenema was at the bottom of my list prior to this and that blows this new album out of the water

but honestly i'm just happy there's some new tool material to listen to after all these years

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I put this right behind Lateralus and Aenema so far. Musically I think it may be my favourite, Danny Carey has my jaw dropping on every listen. For what may lack in that big vocal moment Tool are known for is made up by an epic instrumental moment and I love it.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So I’ve had two days to absorb it. It is a worthy entry into the Tool canon. Lateralus remains #1, but Fear Inoculum is pushing Aenima for 2nd place. It’s expansive, subdued yet urgent and spacious. Danny Carey cements himself as the best drummer in all of rock, and Adam Jones expands his pallet, and as @Skjeikspeare noted, Justin Chancellor is the underrated hero. Maynard’s vocals are mature as is his lyrical approach. Everything fits into place from start to finish, as the album steadily builds to the climax on 7empest. The aforementioned track, along with Pneuma and Descending are my favorite tracks, but, there isn’t really a flawed track. Even the drum excursion, Chocolate Chip Trip, with it’s obvious nod to King Crimson, has purpose. The flow of the album is only exceeded by Lateralus, but where as that album had a more aggressive and intense build, Fear Inoculum has a slower but steadier escalation of burn. Yes, there are echoes of prior Tool, especially ideas from 10,000 Days. But, the feel is that these ideas are built upon and not simply used as a crutch. 7empest alone is worth the price of admission. I’m thrilled...give me more and don’t take 13 years next time.

Reactions: Skjeikspeare

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I went to a release party at a local brewery. The guy who does Tool's artwork was there selling stuff. There was also a Tool cover band. Surprisingly they were actually really good. Tool is hard to cover.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Once again Tool have delivered excellent lyrics, but I got to say I wish Maynard hadn´t basically completely gone away from singing somewhat full sentences.

I appreciate that they probably want the music and the vocal to integrate. I don´t have an issue with the songs lacking a clear climax Stinkfist-style with the music building up the vocal, but some of it feels somewhat unnatural to me. Like when the vocal returns to Pneuma, but Maynard singing just "Pneuma". Or as previously mentioned the music stops during "Invincible" and it starts again. To me that doesn´t flow well - and unlike for most Tool songs the whole "atmosphere" of the song is a bit lost to me. That part of "Invincible" is almost a bit cheesy.

Still a great album. And I was fearing they would completely lose it after all those years. They clearly haven´t. And Descending holds up to anything they have made before. I don´t know yet where the album will land in my list of Tool-albums. I highly doubt it will take down Lateralus as no. 1, but I can see it being on par with Ænima and 10.000 days. Right now I would have it as their 4th best album, but knowing how it usually works with Tool it could still climb. Already probably in my top 10 favourite albums of all time. If not it is certainly getting close quickly. Definitely top 20.

Reactions: Tw1ster

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
We are excited to announce that due to overwhelming demand for the FEAR INOCULUM deluxe CD package, a small additional quantity is being made. We are offering a very limited pre-order for this final run of deluxe CD packages, which will be available exclusively via store.tooband.com. For US orders, this offer is available NOW for today only (until 11:59pm ET). For International orders, this offer is available for tomorrow only starting at 1:00pm ET (until 11:59pm ET). Those who pre-order will receive a download of the digital album featuring several bonus tracks. The CD packages should be ready to ship at the end of September.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I was in LA and the physical release sold out everywhere. It's nuts reminds me of the early-mid 90s when going to the "Record Store" was an event and I'd either have to find a way there on Tuesdays, beg my Mom to take me (shout out to my Mom for dealing with my whiney %ss), or wait until Friday.

Still have yet to hear much of it. I hard one track and the bass sounded like Loose Yourself from 8 Mile.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
scored tickets for the show in Toronto Nov 11! Can't wait.

Saw them this summer. Best I have ever seen by them live - and it says something as they weren't exactly poor before. So good in fact I was even considering travelling to NA to watch them one more time.

Hopefully you'll get the good mood Maynard.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Finally got all the way through it.. twice.

Very meh. I'd give it 6/10 at best.

Twice?

Not a single one of my favourite albums I really liked after listening to them just twice.

Not saying Tool is the same as classical music, but some of my favourite classical pieces I probably listening to 50+ times before I really got in to it.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Twice?

Not a single one of my favourite albums I really liked after listening to them just twice.

Not saying Tool is the same as classical music, but some of my favourite classical pieces I probably listening to 50+ times before I really got in to it.
Don't have the time to give this album 50 laps before deciding on it :laugh:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Saw them this summer. Best I have ever seen by them live - and it says something as they weren't exactly poor before. So good in fact I was even considering travelling to NA to watch them one more time.

Hopefully you'll get the good mood Maynard.

He should be a in a very good mood for what these tickets cost.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He should be a in a very good mood for what these tickets cost.

Holy.

My ticket ended up being extremely expensive as I had to travel and spend two nights in a hotel to watch the concert, but even then it didn´t cost me more than around CAD1000 for what ended up being a ticket straight in front of the stage.

Truly extraordinary band live though. So in my opinion well worth it.

Reactions: beowulf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->