Music: Tool - FEAR INOCULUM - August 30th release

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Holy.

My ticket ended up being extremely expensive as I had to travel and spend two nights in a hotel to watch the concert, but even then it didn´t cost me more than around CAD1000 for what ended up being a ticket straight in front of the stage.

Truly extraordinary band live though. So in my opinion well worth it.

Lucky, I so wanted to go but can't take a chance of booking tickets, hotel, etc. only not to be able to go because of the surgery I am waiting for. I hope the come to Ottawa (not likely) or Montreal at some later time.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I love it and can't stop listening. My top 3 songs on album are:
7empest
Invincible
Descending

with Pneuma coming soooooo close to being top 3. I just love the ending to Descending though, so it barely beats it out.

Also saw that they are playing 2 nights in Toronto. I hope I can get tickets.

Pneuma has been stuck in my head. I also really like Culling Voices.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Lucky, I so wanted to go but can't take a chance of booking tickets, hotel, etc. only not to be able to go because of the surgery I am waiting for. I hope the come to Ottawa (not likely) or Montreal at some later time.

Yeah. Hoping they will do a mini-tour next summer in Europe as well. Hard to tell with that band, but I think there is a possibility. If so I'll try to catch them several times across Europe.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Descending

7empest

Fear Inoculum

Pneuma
Culling Voices

Invincible

Descending is to me still the only great song on that album. And it is brilliant. Love the lyrics and to me the feel of the music perfectly matches the lyrics. So the last 5 minutes never feel long even if the lyrics are ended. And it doesn't feel artificially stretched out as quite a few more old school prog-rock songs will.

7empest I could see getting closer with time. It is growing on me. The only other song on the album for me that feels like a complete song. The rest are to fragmented. Feels a bit funny saying that as I generally speaking listen to quite a lot of songs like that like Yes and the old Genesis - or most old classical pieces. Songs that having got that typical straight forward structure - so I don't mind those kind of songs I just don't think they work as well on this album as I hoped except for Descending and 7empest.

Fear Inoculum is great when the volume is high. Love the first half of it. Just drifts away from me instead of building up. Unlike basically every long Tool-song from the previous albums.

Pneuma and Culling Voices are cool. Pneuma struggles with the same thing as Fear Inoculum in my opinion. It isn't one song for me - it has segments that just don't flow well enough for me. And as mentioned before I am not a big fan of the style Pneuma is written in. That is not specific for Pneuma for this album, but Maynard reading lyrics poem-style works in parts, but there is just too much for me. Generally speaking the lyrics are a lot weaker on this album than earlier in my opinion. Culling Voices reminds me of songs like Hooker with a penis. A bit more simple and angry in style. Don't mind that, but those Tool-songs are never my favourites.

Invincible I actually prefer the lyrics to the music. I see that kind of behaviour and mentality every single day at the office. Just think it is one of the weaker songs Tool have ever made in terms of the music.

Will be fun to read this post 1 year from now. See if anything has changed. Great album by most standards. Would only call it very good by Tool-standards.

Lateralus
Ænima / 10.000 days
Fear Inoculum
Undertow
Opiate

Most likely how it will end up for me. Lateralus I don't think will ever be surpassed by any album from any artist, but was hoping this album would take that 2nd spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fripp

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Probably not that interesting for anyone else than me, but having listened to the album almost every day since the 13th of September I almost find it hard to believe it was me writing that "review".

Pneuma is just a masterpiece. Still don't love the way it is sung, but everything else is brilliant. Like Lateralus (the song) I tend to like the more optimistic and somewhat philosophical lyrics (most of them are philosophical one way or another I guess). The instrumental section is almost Comfortably Numb good. Opeth also got some brilliant instrumental sections, but not sure if any other "metal" band do them as well as Tool on this album. Clearly others on here grasped the value of Pneuma long before me.

I remember when I first started listening to classical music. One of the first pieces I bought was The Piano Concerto in A minor by Grieg. 7empest reminds me a bit of that in that every time you listen to it you pick up new elements. How it is possible for one drummer to play that song I will never know.

I don't really have a favourite Tool-song so I'm not sure if I will ever have one song that will stay my favourite from this album either, but right now Pneuma and 7empest have moved past Descending (that I still love). My earlier description of Fear Inoculum (the song) I still stand by. Love it until it just fades away. Might be more intriguing for professional musicians that ending than for "regular" listeners? Still don't like Invincible. I like the lyrics and the build up, but not how it goes on. Not sure why CC Trip is on it? Don't mind the track, but it being such an instrumental heavy album I don't really see the need for it. Culling Voices is cute, but I don't think it will ever be a song I'll play by itself - only when listening to the whole album.

It will pass of course, but right now listening to other new music is rather boring.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah. I don't know why they can't just give out a regular CD? Maybe the volume is so negotiable these days for the physical product that it isn't worth it?

I really don't buy any CDs anymore. Probably 5 years since I bought my last CD before this last Tool-album. So I don't really care if it is ridiculously overpriced, but for more casual fans or people that still buy a lot of CDs this just wouldn't be "sustainable" if all artists were to charge USD100+ for their albums (which is what it costs locally for me).

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Well I don't see it as gimmicks because Tool has always been about mixing the visual art with their music. The current book edition is under $30 so not terrible price wise.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Sure, but I don't think I ever paid a premium for it before now. Certainly not the kind of premium they are asking this time around.

What would be the problem with having normal version as well? It would mean that sold less of the expensive ones? So not a gimmick but extortion?

I don't care much, but if I was still a student it would be quite annoying.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
So this morning tickets went on-sale for at least the European part of their tour. As usual Ticketmaster crashes and at least Scandinavia basically got sold out in 10 mins. One of my friends weren't able to get tickets even if she went into the queue on the second it opened (the queue opened - not the sale itself).

Denmark on the 23rd of April and Norway the 25th.

Can't wait. Last time I saw them Fear Inoculum wasn't released yet - so they only played Invincible and Descending. Really hoping they will play Pneuma and 7empest at least once in those two concerts.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So this morning tickets went on-sale for at least the European part of their tour. As usual Ticketmaster crashes and at least Scandinavia basically got sold out in 10 mins. One of my friends weren't able to get tickets even if she went into the queue on the second it opened (the queue opened - not the sale itself).

Denmark on the 23rd of April and Norway the 25th.

Can't wait. Last time I saw them Fear Inoculum wasn't released yet - so they only played Invincible and Descending. Really hoping they will play Pneuma and 7empest at least once in those two concerts.
I am pissed that there are no Canadian dates yet thought they have announced a number of US ones.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I am pissed that there are no Canadian dates yet thought they have announced a number of US ones.

That is a bit odd. Could it be Covid related?

I see Southern Europe is kind of missing as well. No Spain and Italy among the bigger countries.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That is a bit odd. Could it be Covid related?

I see Southern Europe is kind of missing as well. No Spain and Italy among the bigger countries.
Not sure, the tour only starts in January 2022 so you'd think with things opening up and places like Montreal allowing full houses for hockey etc....then again that was announced after the tour announcement I think. Hopefully more dates will be added, the closest to me right now is Buffalo I think. which is 530 km or 339 miles away by car.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The only one in NY is Buffalo... really?

Looks like they're playing UBS Arena (Islanders new rink) plus Newark right before Buffalo.

-----------------

Mildly tempted to go but we get a Wednesday night show which is rough. I was a little disappointed when I saw Tool in 2006. As much as I like certain songs, there are others that aren't my jam and they happened to play like five of them in a row so that was like 30-40 minutes of purgatory for me.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not sure, the tour only starts in January 2022 so you'd think with things opening up and places like Montreal allowing full houses for hockey etc....then again that was announced after the tour announcement I think. Hopefully more dates will be added, the closest to me right now is Buffalo I think. which is 530 km or 339 miles away by car.

I see. I guess they have been planning it for awhile so it could be based on, at least partly, which countries have indicated that it will be OK. A long time since Tool included three Scandinavian countries, but here you could have the concert tonight without any restriction, vaccine passports or anything (at least in Norway).

Might also be that they are a bit older so tours these days are shorter. Hopefully they'll add Canada, but got to make sure it happens before harvest season which means Maynard is gone :laugh:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Looks like they're playing UBS Arena (Islanders new rink) plus Newark right before Buffalo.

-----------------

Mildly tempted to go but we get a Wednesday night show which is rough. I was a little disappointed when I saw Tool in 2006. As much as I like certain songs, there are others that aren't my jam and they happened to play like five of them in a row so that was like 30-40 minutes of purgatory for me.

It's faster for me to go to Buffalo or Philly than NYC.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Tool's Danny Carey due in court January 12th for alleged assault as new details emerge

Tool drummer Danny Carey will have to make a January 12th court appearance stemming from his arrest for alleged assault at the Kansas City International Airport. Along with the court date, a few new details have emerged regarding the incident.

As previously reported, Carey was arrested for misdemeanor assault Sunday night (December 12th) after law enforcement received a report of a “disturbance between two males at an airport terminal,” with TMZ reporting that the acclaimed musician allegedly got into a physical altercation with an airport security worker.

A citation from the Kansas City Airport Police, newly obtained by Billboard, confirms TMZ’s earlier report that Carey allegedly hurled a homophobic slur at the security worker he is accused of assaulting. “[Carey] did intentionally cause … unlawful, offensive contact upon [name redacted] by yelling at the complainant, ‘You’re a f**king f**got’ repeatedly, and jabbed the complainant in the chest repeatedly,” reads the citation, which further notes that Carey “intentionally inflict[ed] injury” upon the complainant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad