Post-Game Talk: Too Little Too Late - Jets Fall In Game 4 (2-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was in the crowd and trust me for what was seen on the ice they were pretty loud and into it reaching 110db. Crowd still believed and was chanting. Props to them because seeing that performance live was frustrating. All we needed was one goal earlier then would have ignited everyone. Too bad it came too late.

A huge turning point would have been that Morrissey backhand going in or Scheif scoring on that first shot. If we got one early we could have taken this game a different direction. There's no way Lavy goes to the trap down by a goal or two. He would have kept play open hoping for a good bounce and we could have kept coming at them.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
A huge turning point would have been that Morrissey backhand going in or Scheif scoring on that first shot. If we got one early we could have taken this game a different direction. There's no way Lavy goes to the trap down by a goal or two. He would have kept play open hoping for a good bounce and we could have kept coming at them.

Absolutely, if we got the lead first then crowd is super pumped and probably no boring Nashville trap. Definitely a different game would have been played.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I completely understand variation and randomness. What's the point here?

Is 50ish shot attempts during the most important time of the year not enough for me to hope he has more than 1 goal?

I'm not ****ting on him but I generally expect Laine to score more. Why does saying that seem like I don't understand randomness?

Patrick Laine has a career shooting percent of 18%

he has 35 shots this playoffs.

He has 3 goals.

What is the percent probability, through random chance alone, that he would have 3 or less goals on 35 shots even if his current rate reflected his true accuracy?

What is the percent probability, through random chance alone, that he would have 3 or less goals on 35 shots even if he was a shooter of average accuracy?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Absolutely, if we got the lead first then crowd is super pumped and probably no boring Nashville trap. Definitely a different game would have been played.

Yeah it just sucks because Morrisseys shot was basically an accidental save by Rinne. Had that gone in the crowd is pumped. The guys feed off of it and Lavy is forced to open things up for his guys which with the way we dominated 5v5 play could have gone in our favour. The puck just wasn't bouncing our way and our passing and communication was really out of sync.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Patrick Laine has a career shooting percent of 18%

he has 35 shots this playoffs.

He has 3 goals.

What is the percent probability, through random chance alone, that he would have 3 or less goals on 35 shots even if his current rate reflected his true accuracy?

What is the percent probability, through random chance alone, that he would have 3 or less goals on 35 shots even if he was a shooter of average accuracy?

Laine's shot is definitely off though. If he is off by even a fraction many of his shots won't find the net as he tends to pick corners. His skating seemed really bad as well until late in the game when he made potentially one of the best rushes I'v ever seen him make. He took over for that very short period of time. Just wish he'd do that more often. We need that Laine every single night, every shift.
What frustrates me is I know he has the ability. I know he can take over a game and I know he can pick corners with ease. We just NEED him to do that. He has to be bringing his A+ game every shift, every game of every playoffs.

Reactions: Channelcat

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
easyrider9.jpg

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Hey guys long time Canucks fan but also long time Jets fan.

Totally off topic but was the game shown in its entirety on cable? My pops and I are arguing ... Lol he figures you couldn't watch the game until the pens game was over.

I'm in Saskatoon and I have (barf) Shaw Cable.

The game was on CBC from start to finish, as will the rest of the games be. There should be no problem with preempting the start for some other event. The pre-game show was on Sportsnet, I believe it was West I was watching it on. I also have Shaw.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

This game was just one of the more boring of the mid-40s percent chance that Nashville had to win the game. They had the best record in the league and they are one of the best teams in the league. 2-2 after 4 is the absolutely statistically most likely outcome. I'm at peace. Win or lose, we held our own.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Laine's shot is definitely off though. If he is off by even a fraction many of his shots won't find the net as he tends to pick corners. His skating seemed really bad as well until late in the game when he made potentially one of the best rushes I'v ever seen him make. He took over for that very short period of time. Just wish he'd do that more often. We need that Laine every single night, every shift.
What frustrates me is I know he has the ability. I know he can take over a game and I know he can pick corners with ease. We just NEED him to do that. He has to be bringing his A+ game every shift, every game of every playoffs.

Is his shot "definitely off", or is it just the vagaries of short term variance on an event with a very low (under 20%) success rate?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Saw this in the Hendy thread. For those who keep saying playing Hendricks doesn't matter and then spending time explaining that all the times he is on the ice for goals against is just because blah blah blah some other reason other than Hendricks having anything to do with it.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Is his shot "definitely off", or is it just the vagaries of short term variance on an event with a very low (under 20%) success rate?

I personally think it's off. He hasn't really been shooting right for awhile. Any change in mechanics for a guy that picks corners can have a major impact. Like a pitcher, if the mechanics are off it can make a massive impact in how accurate you throw. Analytics will say it's variance but if you watch him closely you can tell he is way off and trying to compensate in other areas. Like how he tends to try and get the shot off a lot quicker in tight right now which had lead to him bobbling pucks that could be goals if he just slows it down a bit. The one timer is odd as he just isn't getting the right high on it. There was at least 3 shots over the last few games where if he gets it a bit higher it's in. I know he is aiming higher but the shot just isn't hitting his mark. I think that's where his frustration is kicking in. Which leads to the trying to compensate with his timing which throws things off.

Reactions: Robinson2187

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I personally think it's off. He hasn't really been shooting right for awhile. Any change in mechanics for a guy that picks corners can have a major impact. Like a pitcher, if the mechanics are off it can make a massive impact in how accurate you throw. Analytics will say it's variance but if you watch him closely you can tell he is way off and trying to compensate in other areas. Like how he tends to try and get the shot off a lot quicker in tight right now which had lead to him bobbling pucks that could be goals if he just slows it down a bit. The one timer is odd as he just isn't getting the right high on it. There was at least 3 shots over the last few games where if he gets it a bit higher it's in. I know he is aiming higher but the shot just isn't hitting his mark. I think that's where his frustration is kicking in. Which leads to the trying to compensate with his timing which throws things off.

I mean, this is a great discussion on the difference between input and output. You may very well be right. I lack the means to conclude that this is anything but sample size and luck.

I think we both agree though, Laine is trying his best.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I mean, this is a great discussion on the difference between input and output. You may very well be right. I lack the means to conclude that this is anything but sample size and luck.

I think we both agree though, Laine is trying his best.

He is definitely trying to score his best. There are other areas of his game that I know he is capable of elevating and expect him to do so. That's the tough thing about young guys. You know what they are capable of but sometimes they get into their own heads.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Blaming fans for a team's effort is pretty low brow

The team shouldn't have to be in the lead for the fans to make noise, particularly a team with our history.

The team has acknowledged that the energy of MTS Centre inspires them. Noise down 2-0 should be comparable to being ahead 3-2. Are you suggesting that little extra motivation wouldn't have helped?

I was a little liquored last night, but even sober me would have said the same.

I realize the series is tied & it's not all doom & gloom, but I'd feel A LOT better being up 3-1 in this series. A loss in game 5 puts our backs against the wall which emphasizes how important last night game was.

Is it really too much to ask fans who shelled out a minimum $250 per seat to enjoy the experience?

On the subject I just posted regarding pricing in the ticket sticky.

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
How is it a cop out? We can literally break down a players estimated impact on a game. When that player is playing around 8mins 5vs5 that will minimize the impact even more.

It's a team of 18 skaters and usually 1 goalie and the guy we are *****ing about has the 19th most impact out of those 19 players.

Roslovic does provide more offense but on the whole his added offense is a minute boost in the grand scheme of things and I've generally seen every threads discussion not to mention dumb brand new threads continue to revolve around Literally the least important position out of 19

What if that difference is literally the margin of losing? These teams are damn close. We can't afford a handicap and Hendricks tend to find himself involved in high-impact moments (penalties and goals against) even though he doesn't get much ice.

It's similarly annoying when posters like yourself ignore this and get frustrated when it is brought up. Our 4th line is both getting killed by whoever Nashville plays against them and not able to take a regular shift which has an effect on the rest of the roster. It matters.

Reactions: Board Bard

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
He is definitely trying to score his best. There are other areas of his game that I know he is capable of elevating and expect him to do so. That's the tough thing about young guys. You know what they are capable of but sometimes they get into their own heads.

Not to compare the grave physical rigours of top-flight athletics to a card game :P but I know that when I play competitive poker for any stretch, I absolutely am my own worst enemy. It's so easy to see monsters under the bed and ghosts in the closet, that you forget how you got to the dance. Of course, I have decades of experience on the felt to rely on, so at least in that way, I can shake off the bogeymen in a trice. Maybe Laine's not quite there yet. I hope he's there tomorrow ;)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not to compare the grave physical rigours of top-flight athletics to a card game :P but I know that when I play competitive poker for any stretch, I absolutely am my own worst enemy. It's so easy to see monsters under the bed and ghosts in the closet, that you forget how you got to the dance. Of course, I have decades of experience on the felt to rely on, so at least in that way, I can shake off the bogeymen in a trice. Maybe Laine's not quite there yet. I hope he's there tomorrow ;)

That is something he can really learn by being around some of these vets. Heck you can learn it best by being around a goalie. No matter how good you are as a netminder you are going to screw up somewhere. Tendies have this innate ability to just shut off all the noise upstairs and play their game. Laine needs to spend more time with Helle.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The team shouldn't have to be in the lead for the fans to make noise, particularly a team with our history.

The team has acknowledged that the energy of MTS Centre inspires them. Noise down 2-0 should be comparable to being ahead 3-2. Are you suggesting that little extra motivation wouldn't have helped?

I was a little liquored last night, but even sober me would have said the same.

I realize the series is tied & it's not all doom & gloom, but I'd feel A LOT better being up 3-1 in this series. A loss in game 5 puts our backs against the wall which emphasizes how important last night game was.

Is it really too much to ask fans who shelled out a minimum $250 per seat to enjoy the experience?

On the subject I just posted regarding pricing in the ticket sticky.

When you pay for touy ticket, it's your rights do whatever the f*** you want while at the game. Cheer. Don't cheer.

The end

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
That is something he can really learn by being around some of these vets. Heck you can learn it best by being around a goalie. No matter how good you are as a netminder you are going to screw up somewhere. Tendies have this innate ability to just shut off all the noise upstairs and play their game. Laine needs to spend more time with Helle.

Mistakes happen. Any veteran of any competitive endeavour can tell you that. My greatest triumphs on the card felt have had mistakes along the way. Surely if my petty successes have that, surely their Herculean ones do too.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
When you pay for touy ticket, it's your rights do whatever the **** you want while at the game. Cheer. Don't cheer.

The end

Do what you want to do, as long as you don't run afoul of social justice types that ignore a six+ year history and assert, baldly and plainly, that your booing of Subban is borne out of racism, all other evidence be damned. :P

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
When you pay for your ticket, it's your rights do whatever the **** you want while at the game. Cheer. Don't cheer.

The end

Let's not make this about an individuals spectator rights when that's not at all the message here.

It's about the self proclaimed "loudest fans in the NHL" failing to live up to their billing when it might have mattered.

It shouldn't take an emotional rollercoaster like game 3 to inspire our fans to cheer. Fan=Fanatic

The second best team in the NHL is playing the best. This series may as well be the Stanley up Final. That's not cause for excitement?

I sat in a box yesterday and had to hold my tongue due to corporate expectations, so I didn't help the matter.

Were I sitting elsewhere I'd have done my best Crazy George tribute.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
After his casual stroll to the bench on the game winner in game 2, Hendricks really should have been in the press box at that point. Then to have him in the line up for game 4 when MP is ready to go... Just an insane move.

PoMo better hope we don't lose this series, that game 4 should have been ours and a player like MP is EXACTLY what the Jets needed in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad