Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Quinn's whole thing is earning your chances, through whatever system he uses of determining who earns what. He's not just going to give chances if they're not earned. I would expect Tony to put the stupid **** behind him and earn the chance to have a big year.
Exactly. DeAngelo is given his chance once he earned his chance. I would expect him to have an excellent year under Quinn.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The problem with ADA (or any player, really) "earning" a chance is there does not seem to be much correlation between "earning chances" and "playing well on the ice". Which seems like an odd way of doing things.

I would love to know what a guy like Pionk was doing all season to earn and keep his ice time.

RonaldNeptune

Nov 13, 2017
Love this kid, jersey bias for sure. Should be on the PP1 IMO. Let Trouba save some energy to kill penalties, plus I think tony would be better in every facet other than the strength of his shot. He is so calm and composed with the puck on his stick.

6 days boys

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's a rookie, so I'd start ADA, Trouba, Fox but I wouldn't be surprised if Fox played his way onto the second pairing by the end of the season. I think Trouba is the least talented of the 3
All righty. I must have missed the part where DeAngelo was considered a legit top pairing defenseman. Or Fox even thought of as such.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
He's a rookie, so I'd start ADA, Trouba, Fox but I wouldn't be surprised if Fox played his way onto the second pairing by the end of the season. I think Trouba is the least talented of the 3

I can agree in terms of puck capabilities, but Trouba has a things in spades that hopefully Fox and DeAngelo can develop. He does have size, which neither of those two were blessed with, but if we're gonna be honest, there is a huge chance that neither are NYR if they had more size.

His defense will be much welcomed here, but overall skill with passing and vision, the other two are already better.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i would go this

ADA best overall dman on the team using offense as the main criteria. best wheels, most creative, best passer, best hockey iq.

Trouba best overall dman on the team using defense. best defender, best size, best shot, most physical.

fox clearly the 3rd given rookie status. see ADA but not as developed. yet.

ranking them, i still believe its like this overall

trouba
ADA
fox

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Love this kid, jersey bias for sure. Should be on the PP1 IMO. Let Trouba save some energy to kill penalties, plus I think tony would be better in every facet other than the strength of his shot. He is so calm and composed with the puck on his stick.

6 days boys

Trouba was brought here to play in all situations--Quinn is not going to keep him off the power play in order to keep him "fresh" for penalty killing.

If ADA wants more ice time, he better listen to Quinn and fill out his game so he can kill penalties. Right now he's a defenseman who is going to get less time than last year because of the roster changes. He has to find a way to up his game and become a more complete player.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
i would go this

ADA best overall dman on the team using offense as the main criteria. best wheels, most creative, best passer, best hockey iq.

Trouba best overall dman on the team using defense. best defender, best size, best shot, most physical.

fox clearly the 3rd given rookie status. see ADA but not as developed. yet.

ranking them, i still believe its like this overall

trouba
ADA
fox
I would disagree with ADA having the best IQ (I think that belongs to Fox), but other than that, solid post.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Moving laterally across the blueline with the puck in tow....nobody on the Rangers holds a candle to Tony D. It is a gift . When he has the puck you just watch him wondering what he will do next...all at high speed . He has tremendous talent and skills and absolutely no fear . Great passing skills and he will make a huge difference on our 2019-20 PP with the Breadman out there as a sniper . Best bang for the buck in the NHL bar NONE at 925,000.00

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The problem with ADA (or any player, really) "earning" a chance is there does not seem to be much correlation between "earning chances" and "playing well on the ice". Which seems like an odd way of doing things.

I would love to know what a guy like Pionk was doing all season to earn and keep his ice time.

The difference in ice time per game between Pionk and DeAngelo was Pionk played on the 1st PK unit and Tony didn’t PK at all.

DeAngelo sat for stretches (for reasons that aren’t clear but obviously other than not being a top6 defender on the team) but when he played he averaged slightly more PP and EV time per game.

The team was rebuilding and taking a long look at a player who showed flashes

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
This might have been the best two game preseason by a Ranger in a long time since Brandon Pirri or even Matt Gilroy who may be even a better example !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad