Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Except that neither Fox or DeAngelo has fared well defensively. We have remarked as much all year. They cannot clear the net, are exceptionally weak along the boards and cannot emerge from a corner battle with a puck.

Fox is an intelligent player, no doubt about that. And I am sure that that will allow for him to be an adequate defender. But right now, he is not. And as for DeAngelo, there's a reason that we have been saying that with his point production, you learn to live with the defensive warts.
I completely disagree on Fox and I don't know who has been remarking all year that he's bad defensively. Whoever is saying that hasn't been watching the same guy I have been. He routinely wins 50/50 pucks with a quick stick and knowing how to use body position and leverage even if he's not going to outmuscle guys. He's definitely got the best gap control on the entire defensive unit and his stick positioning to me is outstanding. He routinely blocks passes and shots moreso than any other defenseman. Not to mention the data shows he's been excellent defensively. ADA on the other hand struggles defensively, I can't deny it but I do think he's improved a bit in terms of gaps and 1-on-1 defending. It's when the puck is deep and the cycle is established where he has trouble.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think if you took Staal out of the equation and added a legitimate #4 LD in that spot, it would help everyone. But more importantly, if the forwards knew how to back check and not lose their man in front of the net and cover the points and everything, I think everyone--especially Trouba and Skjei--would look better.

I actually think that our defense sucks, but that the primary culprit is not the defensive personnel. I think with what we have, we should be average defensively. Staal is the only paperweight on the unit. DeAngelo sucks defensively but they do a good job covering it up. A more structured defensive system with better defensive forward I think would go a long way. And I don't think the D-unit needs to be radically overhauled. Really don't think the struggles are on them.

I tend to agree. The talent on the defense sans Staal is pretty impressive. As you alluded to, I think the lack of bottom 6 forward depth is hurting this team. They're missing some grinders that can work along the boards and stifle the opposition from generating offense.

I don't fully understand why the organization can't seem to develop players like this, but Ill be quiet and happy with the defensive talent and top end offensive talent the team currently has.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I tend to agree. The talent on the defense sans Staal is pretty impressive. As you alluded to, I think the lack of bottom 6 forward depth is hurting this team. They're missing some grinders that can work along the boards and stifle the opposition from generating offense.

I don't fully understand why the organization can't seem to develop players like this, but Ill be quiet and happy with the defensive talent and top end offensive talent the team currently has.
Yeah and it sucks, because we're probably going to end up without Fast, who is our best bottom six player. And we have no replacement lined up. Hopefully Gettinger becomes something.

Paging Lias Andersson.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Bottom 6 players are MUCH easier to find in the free agent market over top 6 forwards, and reliable defenseman. Not the slightest bit worried about losing Fast. We will find a replacement.

Reactions: motopanekeku

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bottom 6 players are MUCH easier to find in the free agent market over top 6 forwards, and reliable defenseman. Not the slightest bit worried about losing Fast. We will find a replacement.
Tough to say. The good bottom six players are overpaid just like the top six guys. I mean that's the reason we're afraid to sign Fast, right? Because he's going to be overpaid? So instead we sign someone else's guy and overpay him?

The alternative of course is taking guys off the scrap heap and hoping it works out. And sometimes it does--you get Moore, or Pouliot, or Fedotenko. But you can also get a big bag of suck like Pirri, Halpern, Stalberg, Stoll, Jooris, etc. Or you can go the trade/waiver route, which has given us so many terrible players for 20 games or so each that I don't even know where to start.

Anyway, just saying, it's difficult to built a quality bottom six if you're going to rely on external guys. The really good ones, you have to pay for it. And if you want to go a tier below to the guys who could be good and are also cheap, it's a big gamble and you may end up with a bunch of shit on your bottom six.

If Fast's price is reasonable I think he's a no-brainer.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Tony was clearly yelling towards the referee, who, for whatever reason was standing right behind Quinn. Quinn was leaning in, towards DeAngelo, but only incidentally, because he lost his balance.

Come on, the video is clearly the two of them having a (apparently brief) spat. Not a big deal, but let's trust the visual evidence.
Probably more akin to Quinn saying watch those penalties we talked about this and Tony saying "that f***ing ref is a piece of shit, screw that guy, I got screwed" etc.

"Okay, whatever, but watch those penalties and don't say anything else to him"

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Except that neither Fox or DeAngelo has fared well defensively. We have remarked as much all year. They cannot clear the net, are exceptionally weak along the boards and cannot emerge from a corner battle with a puck.

Fox is an intelligent player, no doubt about that. And I am sure that that will allow for him to be an adequate defender. But right now, he is not. And as for DeAngelo, there's a reason that we have been saying that with his point production, you learn to live with the defensive warts.

Fox has faired quite well defensively. No idea what you are watching.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
LMAO @ the latest Blueshirt Banter episode
They said Panarin's 5pt game was more impressive than DeAngelo's, multiple forwards have 5pt games every season, DeAngelo is the first NHL dman in 20 years to have 3g 5p+ in a game.
Also said "With his success this year, this is great, but you're really making it hard to keep you around." lmao again with this moving ADA bs. One of their writers went on a twitter tirade that made it abundantly clear why he hates him so much too, and surprise surprise it has nothing to do with hockey
ADA’s 5 point game is not only more impressive, it’s a lot more impressive. Yes weaker team, but I’m more impressed with those assists. Those were 5 gorgeous, earned, and most importantly, primary points. How many d-men can do that? Not many.

Reactions: EdJovanovski
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad