Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
It felt like DeAngelo was tryna show he can hang with the big boys last night. Looked kinda nervous, forced lots of plays that weren't there and tried to get too cute a lot of times. His decision making and poise with puck is farrrrrrrr better than what he showed last night. Not that he had a bad game necessarily but he'll be better

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
It felt like DeAngelo was tryna show he can hang with the big boys last night. Looked kinda nervous, forced lots of plays that weren't there and tried to get too cute a lot of times. His decision making and poise with puck is farrrrrrrr better than what he showed last night. Not that he had a bad game necessarily but he'll be better

yes agreed.

the speed that peg has plus the size was a tall order right outa the gate. that team can flat out skate and score. some bad passes from ADA which is unusual and some allowing guys to get on his hip and blow by him. ehlers is fast. he will beat many dmen. im sure nerves and needing more ice time was at play.

not worried about tony as much as his partner. thats a tall order to drag that corpse around every night.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Eh, the defense as a whole sucked. Check this play. Ehlers is anchored on the half wall in his own zone, has to face his own goal to catch the pass...has all the time in the world to turn back up ice and accelerate into the Ranger zone from a dead stop. That can't happen at the NHL level. Tony didn't play it well and his partner let Wheeler get behind him to the goal.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That play to me is almost all on Tony for not recognizing at center ice that he needed to turn around and force Ehlers to the wall instead of just skating backwards way off him in the center of the ice. Staal's play was bad too but if Tony just cut him off at the blue line it wouldn't have mattered.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
thats a tough play all around. this pair will not shine defending speed on the rush. staal too slow and tony isnt in his comfort zone either.

first off, staal loses his man and turns late letting wheeler get outside of him and beat him to the net. at the same time, ehlers is fast AF and ADA was late closing the gap and before he can, nik blows past him and makes a perfect lead pass to a streaking wheeler.

ADA needs to force him wide to the wall there and gets a late turn.

staal needs to keep contact with wheeler and doesn't and lets him go and is late when the pass arrives.

that kind of speed will beat defenders more talented than those 2 for sure. tip of the cap there. what can you do it was a beauty play by two skilled guys.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I am sorry but that play is equally on both Staal and TDA, not one or the other. Staal was horribad there, he let his guy go right around him, like a traffic cone, for tap in goal. That's a huge no no.

Let's face it, Ehlers is an elite skater, he took Deangelo wide and went right around him. He has to do something to mitigate that speed.

Kreider did that several times last night to Winnipeg, the Rangers don't have a compliment to CK at the moment or he may have had a tap in or two as well.

Reactions: CasusBelli

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
again, no question that pair struggled all night with deep pressure and that relentless forecheck. they got hemmed in and couldn't get pucks up ice at all.

plus, ADA and staal off the rush need to stop backing up so much.

they surrender days worth of ice and as they backup, the puck carrier gains speed and that hip swivel late doesnt allow enough time to get the guy outside. ADA needs to step up more but does he feel hes got help from staal who skates like hes got timberlands on ?

having marc staal as your partner aint ideal. if it were me, i would back up as well trying not to create 2 on 1's i know my partner cannot defend.

its one game, they both can improve with more time.

that peg team will break lots of ankles this yr especially early.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That play to me is almost all on Tony for not recognizing at center ice that he needed to turn around and force Ehlers to the wall instead of just skating backwards way off him in the center of the ice. Staal's play was bad too but if Tony just cut him off at the blue line it wouldn't have mattered.

(I know we're putting one play from Opening Night on a rebuilding team under a microscope but it's nice to have a somewhat intelligent discussion here so i'll continue.)

I agree but only thing I'll say is Rangers general lack of defensive structure made that read and decision harder that it should've been. If you see what he's looking at here, it's a 2 on 1. That's why I he backed off and just played CF. Kreider deserves some blame for not being on Schifele tighter and sooner as the 3rd forward high there.

sAjB1gL.png

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
again, no question that pair struggled all night with deep pressure and that relentless forecheck. they got hemmed in and couldn't get pucks up ice at all.
This is where my concerns about size come in. I could see that pair struggling all year against forecheck or in front of net.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What?

He played that fine, he kept him to the outside, it's not his fault his defense partner didn't pick up the man he should have. That would have been an absolute nothing play had Staal had his man covered but he lost him and he was able to score an easy tap in.

You can't just cut someone off, especially a player of that skill, he could have easily danced around DeAngelo by banking it off the board or deking him, that would have been a terrible decision to try and take the body in the middle of the neutral zone when Ehlers has speed.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I love Tony but I put that goal on him. That gap was inexcusably bad. That is a huge reason why Ehlers was able to build up so much speed in the first place.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I love Tony but I put that goal on him. That gap was inexcusably bad. That is a huge reason why Ehlers was able to build up so much speed in the first place.
He already had the speed coming out of the defense zone lol.

Only in ranger land do you keep a guy outside the faceoff dots and get blamed for a goal :laugh:

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Wasn't there a poster on this board who was supposedly going golfing with Adam McQuaid this summer and was going to come back with the inside scoop on DeAngelo? Thought I remember that being posted in the DeAngelo thread...

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Wasn't there a poster on this board who was supposedly going golfing with Adam McQuaid this summer and was going to come back with the inside scoop on DeAngelo? Thought I remember that being posted in the DeAngelo thread...

The inside scoop on what exactly?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He already had the speed coming out of the defense zone lol.

Only in ranger land do you keep a guy outside the faceoff dots and get blamed for a goal :laugh:
He had Tony beat. All Tony could do at that point was poke check in vain. The only reason Ehlers didn't cut it in and make a move to the net was because Wheeler had beaten Staal by that point and that was the better play.

I understand placing more of the blame on Staal there, but that was bad gap control at any level of hockey.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What?

He played that fine, he kept him to the outside, it's not his fault his defense partner didn't pick up the man he should have. That would have been an absolute nothing play had Staal had his man covered but he lost him and he was able to score an easy tap in.

You can't just cut someone off, especially a player of that skill, he could have easily danced around DeAngelo by banking it off the board or deking him, that would have been a terrible decision to try and take the body in the middle of the neutral zone when Ehlers has speed.

Damn dude, remove them homer goggles. I know you and others ride for Tony but....He let Ehlers gain easy entry and then allowed him to make that cross-ice pass across his body. Hockey mistakes are a snowball/domino effect. DeAngelo didn't play it well and Staal got beat to the net and that's how goals against happen in hockey.

Staal could have bailed out Tony by defending Wheeler and the pass better, but DeAngelo could have neutralized things before they got to that point. Not binary. Things compound.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
What?

He got completely burned to the outside and gave Ehlers way too much room to make a play. He played it like a CB in football playing prevent defense starting 10 yards off the receiver.

I'm a huge fan of DeAngelo. He played that very poorly.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He got completely burned to the outside and gave Ehlers way too much room to make a play. He played it like a CB in football playing prevent defense starting 10 yards off the receiver.

I'm a huge fan of DeAngelo. He played that very poorly.
They are taught to keep them to the outside, yea he got beat to the outside but that is a low danger area. The only reason why it turned dangerous is because it was basically a 2 on 1 because Staal lost his man. If Staal had his man tied up absolutely nothing happens on that play. And I'm a big Staal fan still despite him getting a bit slower so i don't normally like to jump on him since 90% of the board already does.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Eh, the defense as a whole sucked. Check this play. Ehlers is anchored on the half wall in his own zone, has to face his own goal to catch the pass...has all the time in the world to turn back up ice and accelerate into the Ranger zone from a dead stop. That can't happen at the NHL level. Tony didn't play it well and his partner let Wheeler get behind him to the goal.

This is the play I referenced in the Post game thread. Tony is simply not defending here. He might as well be public skating. First, his stick is too far away from the player. 2 He never closes the gap between him and the attacker. 3. He needs to angle the player away from the net and once he gets to the top of the circle, Tony needs to do something( either force a shot or force a pass. He chose to just keep skating backwards.

Nothing I'm saying is even advanced coaching. It's all stuff you learn in Peewees. He knows these things too and I'm certain he's being reminded of them by the coaching staff. The question is does his mind work fast enough to execute at this level? I'm not sure.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
They are taught to keep them to the outside, yea he got beat to the outside but that is a low danger area. The only reason why it turned dangerous is because it was basically a 2 on 1 because Staal lost his man. If Staal had his man tied up absolutely nothing happens on that play. And I'm a big Staal fan still despite him getting a bit slower so i don't normally like to jump on him since 90% of the board already does.
The goal should be to force a dump-in or breakup the play before it even gets to that point. Sure Ehlers is highly skilled and skates incredibly well, but that's even more of an imperative to close the gap quickly.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think you're missing the point that he should have made a relatively easy close out of Ehlers on the boards before crossing the blue....and even then he still allowed the pass through the slot.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think you're missing the point that he should have made a relatively easy close out of Ehlers on the boards before crossing the blue....and even then he still allowed the pass through the slot.
There is nothing easy about that play against a highly skilled forward who already had speed coming out of the defensive zone.

He would have danced around him if he was that aggressive and left the rangers defending an odd man rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->