Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
He needs to suck this one up, I’m sorry. I’m getting sick of this. I’m afraid the Jets may offer sheet him for us taking Trouba away.

Reactions: bl02

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He needs to suck this one up, I’m sorry. I’m getting sick of this. I’m afraid the Jets may offer sheet him for us taking Trouba away.
Frankly, I think the Deangelo's are the type of players you need to nickel an dime. I dont think he has enough track record to be demanding more than a prove it deal...

Reactions: bleedblue94

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This is response to Levitate. Kaapo Kakko played a lot of hockey last season. His season ended on May 26. He skipped the scouting combine because it made no sense for him to travel to Buffalo and then go back to Finland and come back again for the NHL draft in Vancouver three weeks later. Kakko flew to Vancouver for the draft. The Rangers brought him to New York the day after the draft and had him go around Manhattan. He did a lot of media stuff. He spent a week at the prospects camp and then flew back home. If Kaapo wanted to spend his summer at home in Finland, I think he earned that right.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Waivers tomor .. waive Belesky then trade him for Eaves contract in Aneheim ?

Savings on cap go to DeAngelo ?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Waivers tomor .. waive Belesky then trade him for Eaves contract in Aneheim ?

Savings on cap go to DeAngelo ?
Personally, I don't really get the sense that the Rangers are going to try to make moves to increase an offer to Tony. I think their offer is what it is, and will only get a tiny bit higher. They've dug their heels in on this one. JMO, could be wrong, of course.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
yup. handwriting is on the wall.

the more this goes on the more i believe ADA will be playing elsewhere.

trouba isnt going anywhere and he is a weapon on the pp. hes got a gun and hell get plenty of
PP1 time to show it off. hell play a ton of minutes 5v5 even though hes not an ideal #1. plus he has to play with BS and thats a tough partner.

fox looks like the real deal. its early but hes poised and very fluid with the puck. hes like an ADA type guy without the personality disorder. hes gonna get some PP time as well. less minutes for ADA.

neither of these 2 are 5v5 superstars and neither play a true shut down defense game. trouba really isnt a great defender but hes adequate. fox looks like his skating and lack of physical play will make him a righty pmd type guy and thats ok. defensively hell be average at best.

ADA adds talent and snarl. he may have been the best passer on the team last year. hes good and he adds some grit and swag. he will be missed.

not alot of room for ADA if trouba plays 25 per night and fox can adequately fill in.

my gut tells me ADA is aware of this, perhaps hes been told this and wants out now. hes playing the hand he can. signing that 925 deal is an insult and then having to play with marc staal.... ooooff.

no question hes entitled to a 2 yr/3.5 mil min bridge. not his fault JG screwed the pooch.

i understand his holdout and i see the business side from the rangers pov. tough call.

hes probably a goner and that would be bad for this organization but perhaps good for ADA.

the pipeline is full of Dmen down the road. it appears ADA isnt in the long term plans anyway

we shall see

Last edited:
Reactions: sbjnyc and leetch99

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Watching Fox play last night would hopefully be a wakeup call for Tony. He's ready to take his time. He might want to sign that deal because if he doesn't, each day that passes where Fox excels is another day where DeAngelo's skill set isn't unique to this team anymore.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Team was sorely lacking ADA’s stretch passes and zone entries last night. Trouba is a low IQ player who just panics and takes slapshots every time the puck comes to him at the point, he can’t make plays and doesn’t see the ice well. Fox doesn’t have anywhere near the vision of ADA either; nor the skating or grit of ADA.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
As much as I support ADA’s right to fight for what he thinks is in his best interest...

I don’t think he’s doing that any longer.

The NYR aren’t gonna budge. Not only because their hands are tied from a cap perspective but because of the message it sends to the 1000 other young players in the system.

Fox is impressing more and more by the day. ADA’s best move is to look as good as possible and score as many points as possible this year. Each day that passes adds more risk to that outcome.

Letting the relationship with ADA sour before the NYR are able to further see what they have would be a huge loss, in my view. He is an extremely talented RD - not sure if you all are aware but they haven’t exactly been easy to come by for this franchise. There are D in the pipeline but ADA and Fox are far and away the best offensive D in the organization top to bottom. Would it be that horrible to actually have more than one? But at this point the balance of that blame that goes on ADA and his agent is increasing.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Tony+ to Anaheim for Kase or Rakell & Eaves? They've got the cap space to resign him, space in their lineup to give him a Top 6 role (with a far better player than Staal), and quite possibly (given the dearth of top-tier D prospects) a desire to keep him longterm

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Team was sorely lacking ADA’s stretch passes and zone entries last night. Trouba is a low IQ player who just panics and takes slapshots every time the puck comes to him at the point, he can’t make plays and doesn’t see the ice well. Fox doesn’t have anywhere near the vision of ADA either.

I am really curious to see how Trouba plays out with this fanbase, specifically this board.

I still can't shake this sinking feeling there's a significant probability that he's not going to be what people imagined, or match the concept of what they fell in love with. Especially on a roster that doesn't have the ability to elevate him at the moment.

I'd love to be wrong, but I think people might be getting more of a Camry than a Cadillac.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Feels like we're watching the ADA Rangers relationship deteriorate in front of our eyes. Which sucks -- he's a very talented hockey player. Not directing this to anyone in particular but Trouba and Fox do not make ADA expendable. Rangers need all the talent they can get on the back end.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I Dont get why so many people are upset about Deangelo trying to get more money. Especially if the offer is close to Lemieux’s.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Personally, I don't really get the sense that the Rangers are going to try to make moves to increase an offer to Tony. I think their offer is what it is, and will only get a tiny bit higher. They've dug their heels in on this one. JMO, could be wrong, of course.

I don't think I agree with all of this. I think if they could offer him the right amount of money for a bridge deal, they would. That's probably on the order of $2.5m or so.

On the other hand, I don't think they're looking for any deals specifically so they could offer him more. Just that they'd be happy to if something happens to come along.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Tony+ to Anaheim for Kase or Rakell & Eaves? They've got the cap space to resign him, space in their lineup to give him a Top 6 role (with a far better player than Staal), and quite possibly (given the dearth of top-tier D prospects) a desire to keep him longterm
"DeAngelo is getting beat out by an unproven player and isn't worth more than 900k.... but he's totally worth a 30 goal scorer on a sweetheart contract."

Does not compute.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I am really curious to see how Trouba plays out with this fanbase, specifically this board.

I still can't shake this sinking feeling there's a significant probability that he's not going to be what people imagined, or match the concept of what they fell in love with. Especially on a roster that doesn't have the ability to elevate him at the moment.

I'd love to be wrong, but I think people might be getting more of a Camry than a Cadillac.
He’ll be a whipping boy before long.

I was ecstatic with the trade, but this fan base won’t do well watching a #3 defenseman being used/getting paid as a #1.

The ingredients for minds being lost are all there with this one.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I Dont get why so many people are upset about Deangelo trying to get more money. Especially if the offer is close to Lemieux’s.

BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE MORE MONEY TO GIVE HIM.

We’re not sitting on 5M cap space and trying to Nickel and Dime him. The trade market is dead. There isn’t more money coming off the books.

He’s hurting himself and his team by holding out. This is an impossibly stupid decision he’s making.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Team was sorely lacking ADA’s stretch passes and zone entries last night. Trouba is a low IQ player who just panics and takes slapshots every time the puck comes to him at the point, he can’t make plays and doesn’t see the ice well. Fox doesn’t have anywhere near the vision of
ADA either; nor the skating or grit of ADA.

Your evaluation of Trouba is awful. Almost as bad as you comparing Fox to Pionk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad