Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
There is nothing easy about that play against a highly skilled forward who already had speed coming out of the defensive zone.

He would have danced around him if he was that aggressive and left the rangers defending an odd man rush.

Honestly, I don't know what there's really not to get. No one's saying he should have stood him up or gone for a big hit, that's how you get danced. What we're saying is he had the angle to close him off along the boards. A closeout is not a step-up, that can get you beat like you're saying, it's angling a guy off and forcing him to get rid of the puck. Instead of pivoting and skating forward toward Ehlers to close him out, he backed up and got burned.

It was a bad play, that's all.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Again I’m a huge fan of ADA and I think it’s amusing how some are throwing out the 2nd half of last season in favor of one (opening) night - but there’s no way around it, he had a rough one.

Looked like his brain wasn’t operating at the speed required that Winnipeg was bringing to bear. Could be a lack of reps in camp, could be a bad night. Let’s see how he does from here.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Honestly, I don't know what there's really not to get. No one's saying he should have stood him up or gone for a big hit, that's how you get danced. What we're saying is he had the angle to close him off along the boards. A closeout is not a step-up, that can get you beat like you're saying, it's angling a guy off and forcing him to get rid of the puck. Instead of pivoting and skating forward toward Ehlers to close him out, he backed up and got burned.

It was a bad play, that's all

And that's fine, it's just your opinion. He played it fine. Kept him on the outside of the faceoff dots.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
They are taught to keep them to the outside, yea he got beat to the outside but that is a low danger area. The only reason why it turned dangerous is because it was basically a 2 on 1 because Staal lost his man. If Staal had his man tied up absolutely nothing happens on that play. And I'm a big Staal fan still despite him getting a bit slower so i don't normally like to jump on him since 90% of the board already does.

You can keep a player to the outside without giving a massive cushion. He let him do whatever he wanted.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
ADA's play on the goal was bad and he had at least one more instance where a WPG forward (Wheeler or Scheifele IIRC) blew by him for a prime scoring chance. He also had more giveaways than usual and a few questionable shot attempts. He certainly didn't have have his best game, but neither did the other NYR defencemen.

I don't think these standout moments should overshadow the fact that he was the only NYR D who could consistently move the puck up the ice out of our end and the fact that Staal-ADA was the only pairing that didn't get murdered by the WPG top line despite playing half the game against them. In fact, the WPG top line created scoring chances at a much higher rate against the other pairings despite the two misplays by the 18-77 pairing.

Here are Scheifele's stats from the game:
upload_2019-10-5_2-48-35.png

upload_2019-10-5_2-49-3.png

upload_2019-10-5_2-49-44.png

upload_2019-10-5_2-50-4.png

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Here we go spinning the wheel of excuses for subpar play for a darling of these boards. He looked awful. But most of the D looked bad. Long way to go for TDAN and the defense corps. Lets see how it plays out.

Reactions: leetch99 and Mandar

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Here we go spinning the wheel of excuses for subpar play for a darling of these boards. He looked awful. But most of the D looked bad. Long way to go for TDAN and the defense corps. Lets see how it plays out.
He's definitely not a darling of this board. He of course has a handful of very vocal supporters who act as if he can do no wrong, but I think there's an even larger group who have reservations about the guy. Some of it is personal stuff, and some of it is on-ice. But he's definitely polarizing--certainly not an overall favorite of the board.

Reactions: leetch99

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He's definitely not a darling of this board. He of course has a handful of very vocal supporters who act as if he can do no wrong, but I think there's an even larger group who have reservations about the guy. Some of it is personal stuff, and some of it is on-ice. But he's definitely polarizing--certainly not an overall favorite of the board.
Yeah, I love the guy. I love his game and his snarl and cockiness and all of it. But I'll still call a spade a spade, he was horrendous in that game. Obviously everyone not named trouba was as well, but he actually stood out to me as being awful.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
IMO, handling and sorting out the rush has always been a big deficiency in his game at multiple levels. It's certainly reflected in his analytics at the NHL level. He grades out as one of, if not the worst, at defending the rush and the blue line. that video clip and a few other instances last night, that deficiency was on display.

he's a talented kid who can do great things with the puck that's a major hole in his game and if he can't fix it, his ceiling will be severely limited.

Reactions: ponzu4u

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I think his mind might've been a bit preoccupied with the loss of his grandfather, it hadn't even been a week by the time of opening night and he did miss a practice because of it as well. It looks like that given a lot of his mistakes seemed to be mental lapses where he wasn't processing the game as quickly as he typically does, waiting too long to start closing the gap on players, etc. I'm one of the most ardent ADA supporters on here and I thought he didn't look his usual self, he looked phenomenal in the preseason so I'm thinking he was preoccupied with that; our defense as a whole as a mess though

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I think his mind might've been a bit preoccupied with the loss of his grandfather, it hadn't even been a week by the time of opening night and he did miss a practice because of it as well. It looks like that given a lot of his mistakes seemed to be mental lapses where he wasn't processing the game as quickly as he typically does, waiting too long to start closing the gap on players, etc. I'm one of the most ardent ADA supporters on here and I thought he didn't look his usual self, he looked phenomenal in the preseason so I'm thinking he was preoccupied with that; our defense as a whole as a mess though

I'm glad you mentioned that, I was just looking at a 2017 article about his grandparents being a massive influence on him ... I kinda forgot about his Grandpa's passing shamefully

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Tony hasn't been great to start but Marc Staal has been abhorrent and Tony is performing decidedly better than him.

I hope Staal gets HS'd at some point because on a questionable defense, he is still by far the worst.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Yeah, the eye test is going bad so far. Buddy boy needs to step up his game. Looked slow out there, out of sync skating.
Fox clearly outplaying him in this small sample size of two games. (I saw only last game)

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, the eye test is going bad so far. Buddy boy needs to step up his game. Looked slow out there, out of sync skating.
Fox clearly outplaying him in this small sample size of two games. (I saw only last game)
I think that it would be remiss not to mention that he missed camp. Missing time has it's share of issues. This is one of them.

Reactions: Edge and leetch99

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Wasn't there a poster on this board who was supposedly going golfing with Adam McQuaid this summer and was going to come back with the inside scoop on DeAngelo? Thought I remember that being posted in the DeAngelo thread...
Sorry...no news on McQuaid and none on ADA either:) . He did not participate in the Tough Guy Golf Tournament or any part of the 3 day Golf event [bad sign IMO]. My wife is a third cousin but they are not close . So...no news other than hearsay from a few locals and that he was still recovering from the concussion . LOL...however we did win 3000.00 in prizes in the tournament when my buddy had to putt off against Grant Fuhr and a bunch of other NHL guys and he won everything in doing so.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

He was much better in the Ottawa game. It wasn't that bad. Despite being anchored to Staal. He was engaged in the offense.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Camp is important, we've heard coaches say it over and over again. Likewise, we've seen a lot of players really get off to underwhelming starts when they miss time.

That's not to ignite an argument about whether someone is right or wrong for missing camp, it's merely to express the opinion that it can have a profound impact on performance.

Reactions: Cag29

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
He looked awful in game #1 but I didn't really notice him much, good or bad, in game #2. So I guess that is an improvement.

Like others have said, him struggling after missing camp and most of the preseason isn't really a surprise.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
He was definitely bad in game 1, but he still scored a filthy goal taking a huge hit to do so. I think he'll come around as the season goes along.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Sorry...no news on McQuaid and none on ADA either:) . He did not participate in the Tough Guy Golf Tournament or any part of the 3 day Golf event [bad sign IMO]. My wife is a third cousin but they are not close . So...no news other than hearsay from a few locals and that he was still recovering from the concussion . LOL...however we did win 3000.00 in prizes in the tournament when my buddy had to putt off against Grant Fuhr and a bunch of other NHL guys and he won everything in doing so.

Thanks for responding! Too bad about McQuaid but good to hear about your winnings, ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad