Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
BTW, for what it is worth, ADA is hardly pricing himself out of the Rangers plans. Let's not forget, it is not like he is a UFA. He is RFA for a few years. If Gorton & JD cannot stucture a deal with the agent, they can just go to arbitration. DeAngelo's agent will ask for X, the Rangers will counter with Y and give the market comps. Somewhere in the, a deal can be made. If Gorton wants to structure a deal at $5.5-$6 long term and DeAngelo balks, arbitration it will be. Then as the Rangers cap situation works itself out, another deal can be struck.

It is not like someone is coming along to give Tony DeAngelo an offer sheet to pay him as if he is Trouba. And honestly, if someone was to offersheet him to a $5m deal after a season of let's say 55 points, that can be an easy thing for Gorton and JD to decide to match. Offer sheets do not contain NTCs or NMCs.

No long term clause, but a player signed to an OS and matched, I believe cannot be traded for a calendar year

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
No long term clause, but a player signed to an OS and matched, I believe cannot be traded for a calendar year
He is going to hit a big stretch here one of these weeks where he will rack up 5-6 points in 3 games....it is coming . That will help his point cause . He is a 60 point Dman....Put him on some great offensive clubs and he gets 70. If he does not get there this year...he will next season and likely many more after....but maybe not in NY .

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Is it just me or has he been much better defensively recently, especially today? I don’t know the analytics, and my eye test isn’t perfect because sometimes I’m typing on here.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Is it just me or has he been much better defensively recently, especially today? I don’t know the analytics, and my eye test isn’t perfect because sometimes I’m typing on here.
The analytics haven't been great, but he's been playing with Staal so that isn't necessarily DeAngelo's fault. I agree that he's been better by the eye test, winning more battles. He roughed up Ducks forwards while taking the puck off of them a few times tonight.

I think its you. He is good for at least one brutal give away a game. Like tonight in the second period.
A brutal giveaway is bad offence, not bad defence. Bad giveaways are a necessary flaw of his playstyle - he wouldn't be nearly as effective if he focused on not giving away the puck. As long as his good plays outnumber the bad ones (which they have been doing for quite some time now) it's all good.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
The analytics haven't been great, but he's been playing with Staal so that isn't necessarily DeAngelo's fault. I agree that he's been better by the eye test, winning more battles. He roughed up Ducks forwards while taking the puck off of them a few times tonight.

A brutal giveaway is bad offence, not bad defence. Bad giveaways are a necessary flaw of his playstyle - he wouldn't be nearly as effective if he focused on not giving away the puck. As long as his good plays outnumber the bad ones (which they have been doing for quite some time now) it's all good.
Thank you. Just what I was looking for because I’m too much of a lazy POS to rewatch the games or look up the analytics (or learn to understand them).

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Agreed. Because Panarin does what he does, no one ever complains about his giveaways either. Same principle. You let Panarin play his style and the good outshines the bad.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I think its you. He is good for at least one brutal give away a game. Like tonight in the second period.

If a player is a puck distributor and has the puck often you expect them to have some giveaways. In years past when you look at the giveaway stat it's usually filled with puck moving defensemenand puck distributors in general.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
3 points away from last years total in 61 games.

pm's are down too.

5v5 play has been more consistent but still not good enough.

projecting mid 50's points with something like 15/40

still one of the best value players in the league right now even with the occasional ghastly giveaway and brain fart defense.

he's become my favorite player. high end offensive talent, hockey smarts for days and some sizzle in his game. fun player to watch.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
3 points away from last years total in 61 games.

pm's are down too.

5v5 play has been more consistent but still not good enough.

projecting mid 50's points with something like 15/40

still one of the best value players in the league right now even with the occasional ghastly giveaway and brain fart defense.

he's become my favorite player. high end offensive talent, hockey smarts for days and some sizzle in his game. fun player to watch.
Completely agree 5v5 needs work. Not as inconsistent as last year, but still pretty inconsistent. He has games where he makes you believe in his defensive ability, but also has games where he plays some poor defense

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
You're off the mark, again. His character questions never pertained to being a 'locker room cancer'
One of the incidents was calling a teammate a slur and the idea he’s a lockerroom cancer is common among certain podcasts and circles on social media. Based on interviews, seeing his interactions with other players, social media, he seems to one of the most popular guys in the lockerroom and someone who lightens everybody’s mood. If you check his Instagram you’ll even see all his former teammates always commenting inside jokes they have with him, he seems to have a great personality and I don’t think there is any issue whatsoever with his character

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
One of the incidents was calling a teammate a slur and the idea he’s a lockerroom cancer is common among certain podcasts and circles on social media. Based on interviews, seeing his interactions with other players, social media, he seems to one of the most popular guys in the lockerroom and someone who lightens everybody’s mood. If you check his Instagram you’ll even see all his former teammates always commenting inside jokes they have with him, he seems to have a great personality and I don’t think there is any issue whatsoever with his character

“locker room cancer” doesn’t correlate to douchebag though.

and he is probably (still) a dbag - but he’s our offensively gifted dbag.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This kid is an absolute beast. His progression since we acquired him is more than anyone could have hoped for. I know everyone wants to move him but if it were me I’m signing him for a few years.
It’s basically like 3-4 posters who want to trade him. Everyone else has working eyes and sees he’s an absolute stud on the ice. You don’t trade those players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad