Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It really is too bad that we never maneuvered into signing him for more than a year this last offseason. His price has gone way up since then.

Id have no issue signing him long term during the season this year. 6 years bring him to 30. He gets another major pay day and the Rangers get him locked up during his prime at what is more than likely a solid cap hit (say $5m).

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It really is too bad that we never maneuvered into signing him for more than a year this last offseason. His price has gone way up since then.

Insisting on a one year deal was a reasonably calculated risk. It's fantastic that DeAngelo is continuing his meteoric development, but it wasn't a given coming into this season. I said it last night in the GDT but he's giving me Brian Campbell vibes now which is a great thing. The fact that he seems well-liked in the lockerroom is also great because that was an additional concern when he was acquired.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
He’s not a tool. Hes from jersey.

I think he gets a bad rap. He’s opinionated. He’s vocal on SM. His tweets are hilarious. He seems like a guy you could have a beer with and get in to a bar fight with.

Again, he’s from jersey. Big mouth, lots of swag and the skills to back it up.

My favorite player and personality on the rangers and right up there with bread man.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Insisting on a one year deal was a reasonably calculated risk. It's fantastic that DeAngelo is continuing his meteoric development, but it wasn't a given coming into this season. I said it last night in the GDT but he's giving me Brian Campbell vibes now which is a great thing. The fact that he seems well-liked in the lockerroom is also great because that was an additional concern when he was acquired.

Yeah, I would certainly agree that it was. I think my brain only keeps coming back to it, because it isn't the risk that I would of taken. And really, as was discussed at the time, a "long term" deal for ADA over the summer would of been about three years. Perhaps that deal actually bites us harder in the long run.

Either way, I'm confident that we'll find a way to keep him around. He's a guy you win with.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
He’s not a tool. Hes from jersey.

I think he gets a bad rap. He’s opinionated. He’s vocal on SM. His tweets are hilarious. He seems like a guy you could have a beer with and get in to a bar fight with.

Again, he’s from jersey. Big mouth, lots of swag and the skills to back it up.

My favorite player and personality on the rangers and right up there with bread man.
Lose the "not" in the first sentence and this post makes a lot more sense...

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
He seems to be astonishingly well liked by his teammates considering he is an absolute tool and a d-bag.

The only reasonable conclusion is that we should all aspire to be greater tools and d-bags to improve our personal relationships.

He's probably liked more because he's more consistent after Quinn ruined him while also apparently being less of a tool and a Dbag by not whining at his team mates and staying the f*** off Twitter.

Sort of a cause and effect rather than a paradox.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Imagine not wanting to be in a bar fight alongside DeAngelo, I guess it's all true what they say about Brooklynites...
Imagine thinking someone who's loud, obnoxious, and gets into bar fights is somehow a good dude.

Also, "get into a bar fight with" can be taken two ways. (Indeed, I'd argue "alongside" is by far a secondary usage to "against".)

As for Brooklynites, I assume you're referring to Williamsburg hipsters who were all born elsewhere and moved there in the last 10-15 years? Because to the other 2.5MM of us, they ain't real Brooklynites.

But hey, I've said all along, I value him on the ice, regardless of what I think of him off (which is, as others have said, that he's a tool).

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Id have no issue signing him long term during the season this year. 6 years bring him to 30. He gets another major pay day and the Rangers get him locked up during his prime at what is more than likely a solid cap hit (say $5m).

I'm not saying the Rangers should offer him more, but there is no way in hell he gives up 3 UFA years at $5 per.

Shit I even checked the numbers, and he would "lose" slightly more than a base year of that contract by 2026 just by inflation.

Last edited:
Reactions: will1066

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Quick question...does anyone have a breakdown of his assists (primary vs. secondary)? For this season, and for his career so far (if possible)?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Imagine thinking someone who's loud, obnoxious, and gets into bar fights is somehow a good dude.

Also, "get into a bar fight with" can be taken two ways. (Indeed, I'd argue "alongside" is by far a secondary usage to "against".)

As for Brooklynites, I assume you're referring to Williamsburg hipsters who were all born elsewhere and moved there in the last 10-15 years? Because to the other 2.5MM of us, they ain't real Brooklynites.

But hey, I've said all along, I value him on the ice, regardless of what I think of him off (which is, as others have said, that he's a tool).

Pretty sure @Blue Blooded was being very tongue-in-cheek and was just teasing you.

Though, I have now noted this sore point and shall exploit it in the Fantasy thread. ;)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Pretty sure @Blue Blooded was being very tongue-in-cheek and was just teasing you.

Though, I have now noted this sore point and shall exploit it in the Fantasy thread. ;)
If that's the case, then kudos, @Blue Blooded – your wit is so dry, it could soak up all the beer spilled in a bar fight. :)

And nothing in this exchange could ever be used to tweak me more than Quinn putting Staal and Lindgren out on the ice together with less than a minute to go protecting a one goal lead.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
yeah his next contract is gonna be big. We don’t exactly have the best track record signing defensemen to new contra(Girardi,Staal,Shatty,Smith,Skjei,Trouba) so even though Tony is having a great year I’m a little nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad