Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Exactly.

Fox-Trouba
Skjei-Lundkvist
Miller-DeAngelo

Go with that in 2021 or 2022. I don't think they will get rid of DeAngelo unless they cannot afford him
See, and all along, this is what I've suspected will happen – especially if he's still slotting in on the 3rd pair and not trusted for PK/tough defensive draws duties.

EDIT: though I don't think it'll happen until a year or three down the line.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Trouba isn’t going anywhere. Tony is better offensively but Trouba can play the 1D minutes better than Tony would be able too.

As good as DeAngelo is, he’s not cut out to carry the load defensively, and is succeeding because someone like Trouba is in front of him to handle those minutes.

Some of you guys are serious homers

I agree that Trouba is better suited for 1D minutes/matchups than ADA, while I believe that ADA is better than Trouba in 2nd and 3rd pairing roles. The thing is that it is looking a lot like Fox is better suited for 1D minutes/matchups than Trouba, so you have a situation where Trouba isn't our best option for the 1st pairing, 2nd pairing or the top PP unit.

However, it is just looking like Fox would be better in those minutes - it's still too early to make that call. Hopefully we have a clear picture at the end of the season though.

One of the RDs can move to LD. You don't move good players just because you have to, you make it work.

Exactly.

Fox-Trouba
Skjei-Lundkvist
Miller-DeAngelo

Go with that in 2021 or 2022. I don't think they will get rid of DeAngelo unless they cannot afford him

This is of course what should be done sooner rather than later. If moving one of them to the left turns out to be a viable option it solves a lot of issues.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I agree that Trouba is better suited for 1D minutes/matchups than ADA, while I believe that ADA is better than Trouba in 2nd and 3rd pairing roles. The thing is that it is looking a lot like Fox is better suited for 1D minutes/matchups than Trouba, so you have a situation where Trouba isn't our best option for the 1st pairing, 2nd pairing or the top PP unit.

However, it is just looking like Fox would be better in those minutes - it's still too early to make that call. Hopefully we have a clear picture at the end of the season though.

This is of course what should be done sooner rather than later. If moving one of them to the left turns out to be a viable option it solves a lot of issues.
All things considered, any of the RD would at the least instantly become our 2nd best LD.

Them playing their offside are likely miles better than Hajek and Staal (duh).

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Ha! Finally someone said it! Oh wait, I have said that before. Again, this organization jumped to a conclusion "exterior" from what they already had "in house". Getting Fox was amazing, especially what we paid to get him. They obviously didnt have enough confidence in Tony nor the cash for him AND Trouba.
Fox exceeding every expectation has pushed tbis situation to the brink of disaster. I suppose its a good situation for the Rangers though. Injuries happen and what "was" a position of weakness has become an offensive STRENGTH, now they have to get better defensively. With the big money they gave Trouba, he has to be better.
On the flip end, NOT getting Trouba meant putting all your eggs in one basket and "counting on" an unknown (Fox) and a sometimes worrisome Tony D. Who should be named Tony O.
Okay I laughed at Tony O :laugh:

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Because DeAngelo was already greedy with his last contract when he had accomplished nothing. If he puts up 50 to 60 points he will ask for more than Skjei. No thanks. Not with his limited defensive game. Holding out will only decrease his value during the off-season. Better to deal him to a contender at the deadline and maximize his value.
Then you don’t resign Krieder and Strome and keep Tony. You move Skjei if you need to.

If we’re trading tony we need a legit high end forward coming back.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
DeAngelo is now top-4 in the league among defencemen with 300+ 5v5 minutes in the following categories: G/60 (4th), A/60 (4th), P/60 (3rd), IPP (4th) and ixG/60 (4th).

upload_2019-11-29_22-34-29.png

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Somehow, I just dont see that as "funny". Its actually pretty pathetic. Didnt do a damned thing for us, and I dont care what the reasons were, and now he is playing on a team that technically speaking is out of our league for the time being. So he can light it up all he wants.....just not against us. By the time we are relevant again, he will be over the hill and back to being not worth a damn.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I've seen way too many posts from Tampa fans calling him their best defenceman this season.
Better than Hedman and McD? We have similar fans, they must be blind, or in love with their "shiny old toy".
Imagine an all RHS top-4 of:
Fox-Trouba
DeAngelo-Shattenkirk

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
DeAngelo is an offensive difference maker at his position. It’s an almost every game observation. He’s 24. You hang onto those guys. There’s money available. The only squeeze is going to be next year and if Gorton trades Kreider and Strome the money is there. 6 years at $4.25m per season

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Somehow, I just dont see that as "funny". Its actually pretty pathetic. Didnt do a damned thing for us, and I dont care what the reasons were, and now he is playing on a team that technically speaking is out of our league for the time being. So he can light it up all he wants.....just not against us. By the time we are relevant again, he will be over the hill and back to being not worth a damn.
I mean all the stats nerds who never watch or play hockey could tell he was an excellent bounce back candidate and that buying him out was short sighted and stupid when Staal and Smith were obviously better buyout candidates.

Reactions: UnSandvich

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I mean all the stats nerds who never watch or play hockey could tell he was an excellent bounce back candidate and that buying him out was short sighted and stupid when Staal and Smith were obviously better buyout candidates.
Yea man only the stat nerds said this, only with a great understanding of analytics can you possibly know Shattenkirk is better than Staal or Smith

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
if we kept shattenkirk, fox would be stuck in hartford...he wouldn't be playing the left side either so don't bring up that nonsense argument. I don't care if shattenkirk wins the norris trophy. clearing a spot for fox was the right move

I don’t know why this keeps coming up. I’ve asked the shattenkirk flat earthers multiple times which of 8 77 or 23 should be in the press box or Hartford to accommodate shattenkirk. There is zero response.

the idea of just moving a right shot dman to the left side. Especially one of two guys that are offensive studs at their positions is so silly. Fox isn’t going to be the top pairing lefty dman. Like that’s happened what less than a handful of times ever? You don’t mess with his game.

my guess is they won’t rush lundkvist over here anytime soon and when they do bring him if tony and fox are still doing what they’re doing now he’ll be traded for a piece that plugs a hole in another part of the lineup unless they got a monster offer for DeAngelo they cannot refuse but that’s years from now.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
I don’t see DeAngelo signing a team friendly deal. He was a pain in the ass to sign with zero leverage.

With actual performance and stats to back it up now, it’s going to be a bigger challenge to sign him to a good deal

Why should he? He is 24 years old and yet to get a big pay day. This is chance to get, our fault for not locking him up earlier.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Why should he? He is 24 years old and yet to get a big pay day. This is chance to get, our fault for not locking him up earlier.
Seriously, do some people not understand the real world?

He basically got a garbage deal and Gorton told him to go out and earn a better contract, now that he is doing that we are going to fault him?

Never change HF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad