Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
saying Tatar has "passed" Nyquist is really reading way too much into the present

maybe he's been slightly better this year but Nyquist has a long history of being the better player,the gap between Nyquist and Tatar last year was MUCH bigger than any gap between Tatar and Nyquist this year etc

he may be having a better season,but there's WAY too much history there to so easily say that he's become the better player

Yeah, very much this.

Nyquist was better by a mile last year. Tatar is ahead by a nose this year, and last year goes out the window.

"What have you done for me lately" is the very prevalent on here though, so that's to be expected.

I mean who really cares if your Ferrari is a half second faster than your Lamborghini, if you have both in your garage anyways.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I will say this 4 goals in 20 games (he is right around there right) is something that big guy with a concussion would get killed for.

Now I always said Tatar would be a streaky goal scorer it is kind of who he is, even to a larger degree than Mule. But this he has absolutely passed Nyquist stuff is a little out of hand. If he has it is negligible at best.

I like that his effort is there, he continues to improve, but he isn't playing his best hockey right now, that is pretty evident.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
saying Tatar has "passed" Nyquist is really reading way too much into the present

maybe he's been slightly better this year but Nyquist has a long history of being the better player,the gap between Nyquist and Tatar last year was MUCH bigger than any gap between Tatar and Nyquist this year etc

he may be having a better season,but there's WAY too much history there to so easily say that he's become the better player

I personally take Tatar over Nyquist for sure, that's just me though.

Skating: Tatar
Hands: Tatar
Shot: Tatar
Playmaking: Nyquist
Defence: Tatar
Effort: Tatar

Don't get me wrong, I still like Nyquist a lot, and see him as a very good 2nd line Winger. I just think Tatar brings more to the table on a consistent basis. When Tatar isn't scoring, a still like his game. When Nyquist isn't scoring he looks invisible. Nyquist is also kinda soft in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Don't get me wrong, I still like Nyquist a lot, and see him as a very good 2nd line Winger. I just think Tatar brings more to the table on a consistent basis. When Tatar isn't scoring, a still like his game. When Nyquist isn't scoring he looks invisible. Nyquist is also kinda soft in my opinion.

Skating: Tatar?

I'll have some of what you're having please...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd take Tatars skating. No point having the speed of you don't use it.

What does that mean?

Using it or not is irrelevant. He had skating as it's own category. Nyquist's acceleration is some of the best in the league. Has great overall speed and agility too.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Skating: Tatar?

I'll have some of what you're having please...

Although it is close, I think Tatar is a better skater. Nyquist may be slightly faster, but Tatar is smoother in my opinion. Nyquist is a somewhat bizarre skater (the side to side motion his arms make at full speed is a bit different).

To suggest that I am "on something" because I think Tatar is a better skater is completely ridiculous.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Although it is close, I think Tatar is a better skater. Nyquist may be slightly faster, but Tatar is smoother in my opinion. Nyquist is a somewhat bizarre skater (the side to side motion his arms make at full speed is a bit different).

To suggest that I am "on something" because I think Tatar is a better skater is completely ridiculous.

I meant it as a joke, but I do have a hard time seeing that one.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Using it or not is irrelevant. He had skating as it's own category. Nyquist's acceleration is some of the best in the league. Has great overall speed and agility too.

It bloody well is completely relevant. Guy floats as much as Franzen. I wish Nyquist had half of Tatars heart and work ethic. Then you could say he is a better skater.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I will say this 4 goals in 20 games (he is right around there right) is something that big guy with a concussion would get killed for.

Now I always said Tatar would be a streaky goal scorer it is kind of who he is, even to a larger degree than Mule. But this he has absolutely passed Nyquist stuff is a little out of hand. If he has it is negligible at best.

I like that his effort is there, he continues to improve, but he isn't playing his best hockey right now, that is pretty evident.
Neither is Nyquist.

MOD
MOD Teams have figured out Nyquist. Yet Tatar goes up against top pairings every night and has no problem creating chances. He isn't cashing in right now, no doubt, but he looks 100x as dangerous as Nyquist.

Now, this year, we are seeing OG Nyquist. The guy that has crazy hands and can throw sick sauces all day. Honestly, I like that a **** ton better. Though, I've always been a pass first kind of guy so there may be some bias. But he isn't some ES goal scorer, it's just simply not in his hand. The reason why he has so much success scoring on the PP is because he's ****ing smart as ****. He knows how to play the game without the puck and he knows where to be. Tatar does too, but not at the same level as Goose.

I won't continue on, mostly because I don't care to, but they are two different players. For a team that struggles, struggles, to score at ES Tatar is the better player. But as Frk It said, who honestly gives a **** when we have both on the team?

I certainly don't. I love me some Nyquist passes.

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
This forum is funny. Nyquist is only 1 point and 3 goals behind Tatar, but Nyquist is supposedly having an awful season while Tatar is a superstar.

I really don't want to know what a bad season for Tatar is going to be..

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Can't we just agree that we really can't afford to trade EITHER Tatar or Nyquist away?

And to be honest.

This season Tatar=Nyquist. Both are equally good. They are our clear cut best 2 behind Z and D.

That is great news overall. Stop making a fight over nothing. Obviously they both do things slightly differently. We might as well argue who is better Z or D... Just a waste of time, because we should just be glad we have both.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Can't we just agree that we really can't afford to trade EITHER Tatar or Nyquist away?

And to be honest.

This season Tatar=Nyquist. Both are equally good. They are our clear cut best 2 behind Z and D.

That is great news overall. Stop making a fight over nothing. Obviously they both do things slightly differently. We might as well argue who is better Z or D... Just a waste of time, because we should just be glad we have both.

I haven't been around here very long, but I'm sure the Z vs D debate has happened. Same as flip vs huds. Same as it ever was.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
It bloody well is completely relevant. Guy floats as much as Franzen. I wish Nyquist had half of Tatars heart and work ethic. Then you could say he is a better skater.

Wow, did you really just say that? Heart and work ethic is it then, what defines who's better in each category? Having a hard time to understand that logic. Did you forget about moments like Gus skating by Chara last year?

By reading some posts around here, you get the impression that Tats is a superior, much better player. Don't really know how one can come to that conclusion, when both bring more than enough to the table to show their unique value. Considering one much better than the other simply doesn't cut it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Huh, that's interesting. I find Nyquist to be a much better skater, especially a 'smoother' skater.

This forum is funny. Nyquist is only 1 point and 3 goals behind Tatar, but Nyquist is supposedly having an awful season while Tatar is a superstar.

I really don't want to know what a bad season for Tatar is going to be..
Agreed. I think it's just because Nyquist set the bar so high for himself last season, there was no way to go but down. That's why he's perceived to be having a worse season than he is. I think we're really starting to see more of his playmaking lately. Sure it would be nice if he could score at a 40 goal pace all his career but that's not the kind of player he is.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

We all have opinions, I think the argument exists for either. I am glad we have both.

But for instance I disagree with the bulk of that.

Skating: Nyquist
Hands: Wash, this really depends on what you are looking for, Nyquist has softer hands evident in his pass making and pass reception skills. Tatar is money in tight spaces and has explosive hands in terms of a release.
Defence: Nyquist
Effort: Tatar fractionally, he makes it look like he has a lot more effort. His legs are churning and he is trying to push stuff to the middle of the ice sometimes with a great impact for the team other times to their determent. He has cleaned this up a lot it is one of the reasons he is having a far better year, though old Tatar is creeping back in lately. I just think it is a long year you get plays like that. A little better in terms of board play as he is more willing to stick his body in as opposed to fishing for pucks. Both shield the puck marvelously for little guys in terms of offense and use their speed to create the cycle.

With that said, I don't think Nyquist floats around. He plays his speed game, he is very disruptive on the back check, defenders give up the blue-line a lot when he is around, they study film and know now what a terrible idea a 50/50 puck is with his speed. Nyquist has those marathon puck possession shifts and they are getting better in terms of taking the air out of the game and holding the puck with incredible patience.

Much like Datsyuk and Zetterberg though these guys are both tremendous workers. All over the ice they compete and compete hard which is great for the team. They want the puck and they want to do things with it, they are not scared or deferential and that is crucial for the day Dats and Z have moved on. The effort of either guy leaves little wanting, they still make youthful mistakes, forcing plays they shouldn't or trying to be too perfect, but if they are the offensive leaders, they are in the mold of what has made this team go. They work their ***** off every shift and they are not afraid to be counted on and you can tell they look to be better every time over the boards at everything.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Skating: Nyquist
Hands: Wash, this really depends on what you are looking for, Nyquist has softer hands evident in his pass making and pass reception skills. Tatar is money in tight spaces and has explosive hands in terms of a release.
Defence: Nyquist
Effort: Tatar fractionally, he makes it look like he has a lot more effort. [...]

Tend to see it the same way.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I like Nyquist more, but Tatar is the better player. Even last year with Nyquist's unsustainable shooting percentage, Tatar has always been a great to elite possession player relative to his competition. He is more important to the team, I think. I'd be more willing to trade Nyquist for a number one defenseman than Tatar. Though the thought of trading either of them does make me very uncomfortable.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I like Nyquist more, but Tatar is the better player. Even last year with Nyquist's unsustainable shooting percentage, Tatar has always been a great to elite possession player relative to his competition. He is more important to the team, I think. I'd be more willing to trade Nyquist for a number one defenseman than Tatar. Though the thought of trading either of them does make me very uncomfortable.

Id prefer to trade Mantha to be honest. (Than either these guys)

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm

Would you have said the same after last season? Personally, I'm really interested in how they do next season. Gus was forced to change his play in this one, still being among top scorers though, and Tatar - who I love - made a big leap forwards and is much improved. So, question is: Who proves to be the more important part of the team in the long run?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Would you have said the same after last season? Personally, I'm really interested in how they do next season. Gus was forced to change his play in this one, still being among top scorers though, and Tatar - who I love - made a big leap forwards and is much improved. So, question is: Who proves to be the more important part of the team in the long run?

I like Nyquist, I recognize his talent in the top 6. My saying that Tatar is better is not a slant against Nyquist. Goose went on a serious tear last season, probably the biggest catalyst for our playoff berth last season. However, even last year, Tatar was a crazy driver of possession against sheltered competition. Now this year, facing tougher QoC, he's become a top 10 corsi player in the league(last I checked.) Nyquist was more tangibly valuable last year, but I think long term, Tatar is more valuable to our long term success. I wouldn't trade Nyquist for anything short of a young number 1 defenseman though, because he's very clearly a top 6 player and perhaps our best power play player. You have to give to get sometimes, and Mantha might not be enough, so if a trade for an OEL type came down to including either Tatar or Nyquist in a package, I'd rather it be Goose, even though I'm more partial to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille