Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He does seem like the one Swede in the entire league who doesn't have flawless, perfectly accented American English.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He does seem like the one Swede in the entire league who doesn't have flawless, perfectly accented American English.

It's kind of amazing. Does any other nation take to American English so effortlessly? And are Americans able to assimilate as easily into the Swedish language?

I feel like I have a bigger accent than Lidstrom and I grew up in Michigan.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Guess the neighboring Scandinavian countries (Denmark + Norway) have a pretty good access to it as well. Not to forget the Dutch.
Imo, Finnish language is too far away to make pronunciation that easy. Still, they are quite good at it as they're handling television the same way
(in regard to growing up with subtitles for English series/movies). Always was and always will be our main insurance to learn English.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
It's kind of amazing. Does any other nation take to American English so effortlessly? And are Americans able to assimilate as easily into the Swedish language?

In Scandinavia you typically learn English as a second language (third language in parts of Northern Sweden), classes begin around age 8 and typically continue until around age 16. We don't dub shows and movies, instead we use subtitles, which really helps with pronunciation. It is much harder for Americans to learn any Scandinavian language. Of the three, I believe Norwegian would be easiest for a native English speaker to pick up, it has the most straight forward spelling, pronunciation and grammar. Danish is a by mile the hardest, there is almost no correlation at all betwen written and spoken language.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Pronunciation would easily be the hardest to learn for them. Grammar or spelling shouldn't be much of a problem.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

You probably do. Eww, Michigan accents. :shakehead :laugh:

Anyone ever seen The Killing with Joel Kinnaman? Not only is he another Swede who can pull off an American accent perfectly, but he can even switch between different American accents. Crazy.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
ehhh, Linden, Linden. :laugh:
Danish actors are pretty big in business as well. Just to name a few, Mikkelsen (Hannbial) is ****ing great. Coster-Waldau (Jaime) is great. Or anyone watching/watched Banshee? Thomsen (Proctor) nails it.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
In Scandinavia you typically learn English as a second language (third language in parts of Northern Sweden), classes begin around age 8 and typically continue until around age 16. We don't dub shows and movies, instead we use subtitles, which really helps with pronunciation. It is much harder for Americans to learn any Scandinavian language. Of the three, I believe Norwegian would be easiest for a native English speaker to pick up, it has the most straight forward spelling, pronunciation and grammar. Danish is a by mile the hardest, there is almost no correlation at all betwen written and spoken language.

Even I have a problem with danish, and I'm 1/8 danish :D

reading is easy though. Its pretty much the same as norwegian.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

The Northern Swedes don't generally sound quite as good. Jarnkrok was noticeably worse at English than our other prospects. I want to say Edler has pretty bad English. The guy's from far north in Sweden for the most part all have the same issues as Holmstrom the just know it and don't talk non-stop like Homer.:laugh:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The Northern Swedes don't generally sound quite as good. Jarnkrok was noticeably worse at English than our other prospects. I want to say Edler has pretty bad English. The guy's from far north in Sweden for the most part all have the same issues as Holmstrom the just know it and don't talk non-stop like Homer.:laugh:

sedin don't speak perfect english either.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
how did you like Tatars play this season? whats his ceiling/potential? biggest flaws?

Liked it, 1st liner is his potential, Likely swapping anywhere in the top six. Biggest flaws the top of my head is his dfence and bad giveaways at bad times, He acted like he cared playing Dfence though, He wil get better.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
points prediction for tatar next season?

Depends on who he plays with you just have to understand that last year was him lining with Dats so adjust accordingly. Unless he lines with Z and Dats don't expect 60+ points from him. I think he will produce 50-54 or so given linemates not those two. Has to play top 6 though.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I expect him to put up similar offensive #'s, but cut down on the turnovers. Not sure if turnover is the right word to use. I expect him to be more responsible and smarter with the puck.

I would be happy with that.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
50 points over 82 games at a minimum no matter who he plays with. He seems to be able to generate offense on his own to some degree although he's certainly intelligent enough to capitalize when other people create it for him. I think a reasonably optimistic expectation is ~65 points over 82 games but probably more like 60. Which seems like legit top3/6 winger production to me.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I'm going to guess 57 points. Hopefully it'll work out to be something like 30g+27a but since we're apparently not allowed to have any 30 goal scorers (not one since 08-09) it'll probably be 29g+28a=57p :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->