News Article: Tomas Plekanec wants back in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If it's a 1 year deal and under $3M a year, I would totally want Plekanec back for another year.

Getting to the point where Plek's is actually underrated on these boards.

Every Habs player is underrated on these boards. Except for Gallagher?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
On top of playing the tough minutes we need a vet/someone with experience up front helping the younger players transition to the pros. If we don't have Plekanec our oldest forwards are Pacioretty/Byron, I don't see a problem bringing Plekanec back this year, he's shown to be a good pro off the ice, too bad his offensive game has gone to zero on the ice.

I'm O.K. with bringing him back if we sign him cheap and very short term.
Not only that, but I'd be looking to move Pacioretty and Byron as well. Put and A on his jersey and Pleks be the elder statesman for the forwards for 3/4 of the year, and then by then hopefully Gallagher/Danault/Shaw can take over as the "vets" up front.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He signed a 2yr 12M in 2015 lol

No, it's not great value

It's a waste of money...you could get anyone currently on the roster to d the same job for half the price, probably even less

Not so much...nobody but him really could regularly win faceoffs and nobody is as good defensively. He signed that contract after seasons of 60 and 54 points. It was an overpayment but not his fault they agreed to it.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
what does he have to prove exactly?

be honest, he didn't really want to go to Toronto.......he took one for the team and plugged his nose and went....

Back in Montreal in 2018-119, ya i can see him come in with a little chip on the shoulder , you seen it before many times with players..it don't take much.....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not so much...nobody but him really could regularly win faceoffs and nobody is as good defensively. He signed that contract after seasons of 60 and 54 points. It was an overpayment but not his fault they agreed to it.
He's a career 50% faceoff guy...come on man

But either, I guess since hes the "only" one capable of this, we should just sign him to play forever, since no one else can.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Agreed - kinda like the way the Leafs signed Patrick Marleau, right?

100% agreed...

Only issue is Patrick Marleau can still contribute and help that transition...

Fair point - I guess the question is, is whatever asset the Habs could get at the deadline, worth more than what development a guy like DLR or Evans could get from more icetime?

I asked you to elaborate, you did, although we don't agree...I appreciated your response, that's what this place is for.
The thing is those 2 would still get ice time, as of today we could ice Danault, DLR, Evans (maybe), and .... there's noone. We have to bring in a C from somewhere, the question is who? Trade for ROR? Overpay Stastny? Or bring back Plekanec for cheap on a 1 year deal and flip him at the deadline?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
be honest, he didn't really want to go to Toronto.......he took one for the team and plugged his nose and went....

Back in Montreal in 2018-119, ya i can see him come in with a little chip on the shoulder , you seen it before many times with players..it don't take much.....
If he's re-signed he's going to occupy the same role he has the last few years.

So I guess what you're saying is you want them to re-sign him to a 2yr 12M deal again?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

the Habs goofed the year he had 39 points, he was asking for 3.5 million 6 year deal...lol Habs bridge him for a 1 yr, then he came out and got 70 pts!!!!! then Habs were forced into a big time contract...they was not smart....He was asking for $3.5 million for 6 years .......No one can blame Plek for that...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I find it hard to believe a player who has a 20 goals in his last 195 games can be underrated

I get it that there's more to the game than just goals/offense...

But come on

He's underrated cause of what he showed he can do with the Leafs. I think most know what his true value is but we tend to side on the negative side of things with our team based on what our GM has done. As far as you... you been spot on with Pleky. Your comments were made for several years and you were right. He is not rebounding, he is who he is and he is on the wrong side of 35.

Pleky on our team <<< Pleky on a team like the Leafs. He is the type of player a contender looking for a 3rd line center needs! On our team, he don't fit anymore cause we will gravitate to use him in a top 6 role time and time again. Even in a 3rd line role, he takes opportunity away from DLR

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I am a huge Pleks fan and his career with the habs. Drafted and played with the team for over a decade. But its done. Lets bring back Savard and LaFleur as well.

The Markov/Pleks era is over. It was a fun ride with those guys here and it was great to see them come up through the ranks and give it their all for the Habs but its time to turn the page.

If Pleks comes back CJ will use him 18 mins a night with Gallagher. He will continue to be the offensive blackhole he has been for the last 2 years. The Pleks we knew from 3 years ago isn't around anymore. I would take that guy back in a heartbeat but he doesn't exsist anymore.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
4 pts in 7 games in Playoffs for Leafs...

I'm betting ya see a bounce this year for Plek......40-45 pts...
Bobby Orr played only 10 games in the 75-76 season due to injury but was healthy in time for the 76 Canada Cup and played like a beast, winning the Series MVP. He then only played 20 games in the 76-77 season, didn't play at all in 77-78, and retired after playing only 6 games in 78-79. There was no bounce back. That Canada Cup performance was his last hurrah. He played only 26 games in the three seasons following that tournament, which lasted about as long as the Leafs' post-season run did this year.

Pleks is not bouncing back next season. He is done. Finito.

Reactions: 417

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Exactly the player a tanking and rebuilding team should sign for 1 year and trade for a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Tavares / Drouin
Danault
_____
DLR

There's an opening until someone like Evans or Poehling (or piece acquired in Max trade) is ready to step in. With Pleks, they won't have to rush these prospects. DLR can gradually take over on the 3rd line if he proves capable over a larger sample, but right now he sits at a career high 12 points and hasn't stuck around for a full season yet.

Froese shouldn't really enter into the discussion. He's a depth guy, used in case of injuries. The extra 1.5M for Plekanec is well worth the experience, defensive play, leadership and trade asset.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Toronto doesn't want him anymore and has no use for him.....yet he is welcome here as a #3C.....shows you how desperate we are at C

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would bet that MB signs him.

I find it hard to believe a player who has a 20 goals in his last 195 games can be underrated

I get it that there's more to the game than just goals/offense...

But come on

last year he got almost 1M per goal scored, (7M vs 10 goals) so I can see why he would want to be back, when someone is dumb enough to give him that kind of money. Of course he won't get anything close to that this time around but in 138 games with the Habs over his last 2 years while making 12M he scored 16 goals. That's a 7 goal over 82 games pace while having one of the highest TOI's among our forwards.

I was a big Pleks fan but he is now nothing but a solid defensive forward, and a good PKer.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Toronto doesn't want him anymore and has no use for him.....yet he is welcome here as a #3C.....shows you how desperate we are at C

I think it's more Plek doesn't want anything to do with Toronto..he has done everything we have ask of him on the ice....and he even was willing to go play in TO for a few games so we could get some value in return and with no hard feelings.....been a great soldier for Habs...

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'd go as far as invite him to camp, see how it goes with the rookies, if we fall short and need a 4th line shut down guy, sure, for a year @ 2 mil not more. But my preference lies elsewhere. Nothing against Pleks, I always like him, but he's dropped a lot.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's underrated cause of what he showed he can do with the Leafs.
He didn't show anything more vs the Leafs than he did with the Habs the last few years.

He's strong defensively, can contribute offensively, although sporadically at best and he's an experienced veteran.

We didn't learn anything new.

I think most know what his true value is but we tend to side on the negative side of things with our team based on what our GM has done. As far as you... you been spot on with Pleky. Your comments were made for several years and you were right. He is not rebounding, he is who he is and he is on the wrong side of 35.

Pleky on our team <<< Pleky on a team like the Leafs. He is the type of player a contender looking for a 3rd line center needs! On our team, he don't fit anymore cause we will gravitate to use him in a top 6 role time and time again. Even in a 3rd line role, he takes opportunity away from DLR
Exactly...he still has room on an NHL roster, just not this one.

If you're competing for the Cup and you need a depth center, Plekanec is perfect, he's low maintenance and can play higher in your lineup in a pinch.

But if you're a team like the Montreal Canadiens...he has no use, he's just preventing you from evaluating your own players

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I would bet that MB signs him.
As would I

Last year he got almost 1M per goal scored, (7M vs 10 goals) so I can see why he would want to be back, when someone is dumb enough to give him that kind of money.
He actually scored 6 goals last year...so he did average 1 goal per 1M.

Of course he won't get anything close to that this time around but in 138 games with the Habs over his last 2 years while making 12M he scored 16 goals. That's a 7 goal over 82 games pace while having one of the highest TOI's among our forwards.

I was a big Pleks fan but he is now nothing but a solid defensive forward, and a good PKer.
Yet I keep reading in this thread that he's underrated.

Boggles the mind.

We underrate the 6M, 6 goal man

And everyone is ready to toss aside Pacioretty for pretty much anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad