News Article: Tomas Plekanec wants back in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
And you propose doing this by signing a 35-36yr old veteran when you have young players capable of doing the exact same job?

explain that one to me?
I already have. You clearly just want to see new faces in the lineup so badly that you are incapable of thinking about this rationally, so let's move on...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I already have. You clearly just want to see new faces in the lineup so badly that you are incapable of thinking about this rationally, so let's move on...
I don't want new faces...I want the players we already have to get their opportunities to learn and grow.

Again, you make no sense...or perhaps, i'm missing something and i'm asking you to help me understand.

In one post you say "the best course of action is to continue the youth movement"

but in another post, you're suggesting they re-sign Tomas Plekanec, which essentially takes away opportunities from the youth you're suggesting should be part of the youth movement.

It doens't make sense...you can't on one hand say the team needs to go young, and then suggest they need to re-sign Plekanec.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don't want new faces...I want the players we already have to get their opportunities to learn and grow.

Again, you make no sense...or perhaps, i'm missing something and i'm asking you to help me understand.

In one post you say "the best course of action is to continue the youth movement"

but in another post, you're suggesting they re-sign Tomas Plekanec, which essentially takes away opportunities from the youth you're suggesting should be part of the youth movement.

It doens't make sense...you can't on one hand say the team needs to go young, and then suggest they need to re-sign Plekanec.
It is my belief that you need to insulate a youth movement with vets or you end up perpetually terrible as you ruin your young players. Having a vet on a one year deal who can be flipped for assets at the deadline is perfection. If you can't understand that, that is on your comprehension skills and not my explaining skills...

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

If the people that we have can't play better than Plekanec/Danault/Froese, they don't deserve the opportunity. We're talking about an insanely low bar here.

Reactions: Peanut

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It is my belief that you need to insulate a youth movement with vets or you end up perpetually terrible as you ruin your young players.
Agreed - kinda like the way the Leafs signed Patrick Marleau, right?

100% agreed...

Only issue is Patrick Marleau can still contribute and help that transition...

Having a vet on a one year deal who can be flipped for assets at the deadline is perfection.
Fair point - I guess the question is, is whatever asset the Habs could get at the deadline, worth more than what development a guy like DLR or Evans could get from more icetime?

If you can't understand that, that is on your comprehension skills and not my explaining skills...
I asked you to elaborate, you did, although we don't agree...I appreciated your response, that's what this place is for.

Reactions: groovejuice

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
You still need vets to play the tough minutes, or you're going to ruin your young players.
On top of playing the tough minutes we need a vet/someone with experience up front helping the younger players transition to the pros. If we don't have Plekanec our oldest forwards are Pacioretty/Byron, I don't see a problem bringing Plekanec back this year, he's shown to be a good pro off the ice, too bad his offensive game has gone to zero on the ice.

I'm O.K. with bringing him back if we sign him cheap and very short term.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Hey! Another good reason NOT to resign him.

seems pretty petty eh? to not resign him so he doesn't pass Saku?...lol

Anyone see Saku hanging around the Habs since he left town(pushed out)??...

Some reason i think why we haven't seen him .....

Reactions: shello

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just keep him off the top 6 and sign him to a 1 year deal for cheap and I'll be fine with it

I'm fine with signing Pleky for another 1 or 2 years but it must be a team friendly deal. Eller signed for $3.5M and he is younger. The contract doesn't come till the end of the summer when we explore several options first though.

Pleky for 1 year at what? $2.5M? Would you give him $3M?

Tavares, Danault, Pleky, DLR or Drouin/Galchenyuk, Danault, Pleky, DLR. Either way, he pushes DLR to 4th line? That's a shame because DLR made some progress with more oppertunity once Pleky was traded.

The more I think about it, the better we move on from him. We need to focus on youth and another tank year. Tavares is a dream that is likely dead come July 2nd (still hopeful but realistic). It's scary to think that we will retool and try to be a middle of the pack team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
On top of playing the tough minutes we need a vet/someone with experience up front helping the younger players transition to the pros. If we don't have Plekanec our oldest forwards are Pacioretty/Byron, I don't see a problem bringing Plekanec back this year, he's shown to be a good pro off the ice, too bad his offensive game has gone to zero on the ice.

I'm O.K. with bringing him back if we sign him cheap and very short term.

Pleky had more points and goals than Mathews in the playoffs on the same team with no PP time :sarcasm:

Individual skills vs accomplishments playing on a better team (and coach). Pleky has no shot but he proved he still has the two way responsible center game. The Leafs had him in the opening line-up to start the face-off!

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Most underrated HAB in recent times...

Regular season...

Saku Koivu had 641 pts in Habs jersey
Tomas Plekanec has 605 pts so far....and Pleky plays a shutdown role to boot.....

37 more points and Plek is in the top 10 all time for Habs scoring in reg season..... respect the man

Im not arguing how good he was 5 seasons ago. He was one of my favorite players, but reality is he has fallen off a cliff and I'd rather have some younger, faster, cheaper, more physical players in our bottom 6.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
seems pretty petty eh? to not resign him so he doesn't pass Saku?...lol

Anyone see Saku hanging around the Habs since he left town(pushed out)??...

Some reason i think why we haven't seen him .....
He's just not needed anymore... Anyways, 36 points away from Saku is what 2 more seasons for Plekanec? no thanks

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Im not arguing how good he was 5 seasons ago. He was one of my favorite players, but reality is he has fallen off a cliff and I'd rather have some younger, faster, cheaper, more physical players in our bottom 6.

4 pts in 7 games in Playoffs for Leafs...

I'm betting ya see a bounce this year for Plek......40-45 pts...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I've taken this bet the last 2yrs and won...

i'm in again, but this time I wanna get paid

If Tomas Plekanec can get 45pts as a 4th line center next year...I can't wait to see what our #1, #2 and #3 centers will get!

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Not debating the quality, but this is our depth at center:
Drouin (5 years left)
Danault (RFA,, but we know he’s back)
DLR (RFA, but likely back)
Froese (1 year left on deal)

This doesn’t include Shaw who can play center, and apparently Byron and Hudon :sarcasm:

Then we got some players in the farm (like McCarron) though I’m not stoked about them. We got prospects though, but they (Evans, Poehling) won’t be here next year.

So basically, I see no room for Plekanec. I mean, I think Drouin should be a winger, but I wouldn’t want Plekanec in my top-6, let alone top-9 now. Froese makes less than $800k and is a serviceable 4th liner. I’m not paying Plekanec $2m to run that line.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

On our team and the direction we need to head towards... I totally agree. I still think Pleky has value and the Babcock showed how he can be on a deeper roster. Pleky should go to the Jets if they lose Stastny but he likes Montreal and his family is comfortable. I feel for him but it's time to explore other options! Most Habs fans will always respect what you did for us!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not debating the quality, but this is our depth at center:
Drouin (5 years left)
Danault (RFA,, but we know he’s back)
DLR (RFA, but likely back)
Froese (1 year left on deal)

This doesn’t include Shaw who can play center, and apparently Byron and Hudon :sarcasm:

Then we got some players in the farm (like McCarron) though I’m not stoked about them. We got prospects though, but they (Evans, Poehling) won’t be here next year.

So basically, I see no room for Plekanec. I mean, I think Drouin should be a winger, but I wouldn’t want Plekanec in my top-6, let alone top-9 now. Froese makes less than $800k and is a serviceable 4th liner. I’m not paying Plekanec $2m to run that line.

Pleky as our #1C: Perfect tank year! lol

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I respect what the man may have done in the distant past, but going foward?

I hope this guy replaces Dudley in the hockey ops dept. He would have been useful when the PK and Sergachev trades were going down.

Reactions: Shabs

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I've taken this bet the last 2yrs and won...

i'm in again, but this time I wanna get paid

If Tomas Plekanec can get 45pts as a 4th line center next year...I can't wait to see what our #1, #2 and #3 centers will get!

his stint in TO, watch this year in Montreal....He got something to prove...40-45 more than capable .....even at 36......Habs ramp up towards a more offense type of game,ya gotta think they will...Claude already said he will listen to Ducharme etc..so new blood newer ideas...AFTER getting shutout so many times and scoring 1 goal, there is no way something doesn't change in 2018-19

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Other than on our team, what team has him in the top 2 center spot? I think 30-40pts with 5-10 goals is his ceiling now but that's on a stacked roster. It's the shutdown game and penalty kill is where he is still valuable

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
his stint in TO, watch this year in Montreal....He got something to prove...40-45 more than capable .....even at 36......Habs ramp up toward more offense type of game,ya gotta think they will...Claude already said he will listen to Ducharme etc..
what does he have to prove exactly?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I like Pleks, always did but it's time to move on!!
We have our 3rd line center In Danault. GM just needs to figure out to get us quality centers now!

Reactions: Doc McKenna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad