Player Discussion Tomas Plekanec - Plekasex Edition

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Plekanec's ES points per minute is on par with Logan Shaw.

Basically, he's one of our top es producers because he plays a ton there, 2nd on the team only behind Pacioretty.

That is a good point about Plekanec's even strength points per minute. I definitely don't think Pleks has anything left 5 on 5 offensively, as I stated.

However, I do think he would be good on the half wall on the pp. He's too slow 5 on 5, but the extra time and space would allow him to make plays. imo he'd be better than Byron, Shaw (Gallagher and Lehkonen do what he does in front of the net better), and perhaps Danault. I have to see Danault more to see. But with the emergence of Scherbak, Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Mete and Morrow are ahead of Plekanec for the 2nd unit.

At any rate it's really not worth discussing. There will be no evidence either way. I know most poster's don't see it that way and will be looking to troll it. But it's my opinion: Pleks has completely lost it offensively 5 on 5 but could be useful on the half wall on the pp.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Plekanec's ES points per minute is on par with Logan Shaw.

and we got Shaw for nothing.....so im not sure what people are expecting to get back (if anything) for plecky, including MB,

MB over values our players, thats why i would be surprised if he traded Patch or Pleck....he will want too much in return, and other GMs will not bite

Reactions: Habs100

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
2nd round pick at best. I would trade Pleky for a 2019 2nd and another B type prospect. But if a team offers only a 3rd, I pass and wait till the end. One team will give us the 2nd and my request would be a 2019 2nd. I would even dangle one of our goalie prospects with Pleky to see if we can get a 1st... A 1st in 2019 works for me too.

Reactions: Andrei79

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
They said on that Gazette It is time for Montreal Canadiens management to do the right thing That he should fetch a 2nd or 3rd.
Honestly I don't want pleks back.
The major reason is if we want a culture change it starts by getting rid of passengers. Pleks regardless of points often hogs the puck and is a perimeter player. And he is never punished for his lack of drive. Everyone else is forced to dig in the corner, go to the front of the net backcheck(which he does do) and quality passing. Pleks and now max are those guys floating around not doing the hard work and are still rewarded.

Kids now days don't expect to pay their dues and understand "if I did that i would be benched" or in some cases sat in the pressbox. So why would we expect them to try when an 'A' doesn't do it on most nights and is still rewarded. Its toxic. One of the reasons the LVK have such a good team is they ALL are expected to do the hard work.

So no, I don't want turtleneck back on the team at all. Holding on to the puck for his Gio chester shots now that his skill is declining just makes his perimeter play all the more detestable. Habs need to get rid of the passengers if they want to soar like an eagle.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They said on that Gazette It is time for Montreal Canadiens management to do the right thing That he should fetch a 2nd or 3rd.
Honestly I don't want pleks back.
The major reason is if we want a culture change it starts by getting rid of passengers. Pleks regardless of points often hogs the puck and is a perimeter player. And he is never punished for his lack of drive. Everyone else is forced to dig in the corner, go to the front of the net backcheck(which he does do) and quality passing. Pleks and now max are those guys floating around not doing the hard work and are still rewarded.

Kids now days don't expect to pay their dues and understand "if I did that i would be benched" or in some cases sat in the pressbox. So why would we expect them to try when an 'A' doesn't do it on most nights and is still rewarded. Its toxic. One of the reasons the LVK have such a good team is they ALL are expected to do the hard work.

So no, I don't want turtleneck back on the team at all. Holding on to the puck for his Gio chester shots now that his skill is declining just makes his perimeter play all the more detestable. Habs need to get rid of the passengers if they want to soar like an eagle.

This year brings it home to all. Subban and Eller were not the soft underbelly that ailed this team and they never were. If we don't cut it away now a new generation of Country Clubber's will be our reward.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I used to dislike him more because year after year he would get torched by the Bruins. He has worked hard on face offs and he still brings a wily coyote presence to the team. Easily been the team's best centre this year. Not in terms of points but in terms of not getting scored on. His right winger put up 20. If Byron stayed on his wing he might have 2 20 goal wingers which is good work I say.

But you see the speed diminishing. That's been his game, skating. He has never been physical.

For his salary I'd much rather have Stastny. He can win the important first draw on the PP, match up against bigger centres, allowing speedy wingers more room. He will make le Tigre more nostalgic than ever talking about his coaching days.

Finding a centre to lead the PK isn't the hardest position to fill. We got Matt Hendricks here in Winnipeg for $700 000. Give Carbonneau trained Max Lapierre a second shot over Froese and Logan Shaw and you might have your answer.

The reason to trade Plekanec is to put Danault as the 3C. Then players are cast on their proper roles. Drouin is not a 1C, yet, Plekanec is not a 2C anymore, and Danault is definitely not a top 6 centre on any contender. Evans and Poehling are a year or two away, so help is on the way. Maybe Drouin moves back to the wing by then.

If he does get resigned hopefully it is for a year only. A transition year. Maybe he gets to apprentice a Zacha or Zadina.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
This year brings it home to all. Subban and Eller were not the soft underbelly that ailed this team and they never were. If we don't cut it away now a new generation of Country Clubber's will be our reward.
You need your leaders to lead by example. Saku is a legend not because of amazing skills (though I would take even post injury Saku over everyone on this team anyway) but because on most nights 75%+ he would leave it all on the ice. He also had decent skill so a more skilled Gally. Kovalev took flak for his lazy play 'the enigma that is alex kovalev' was often said. But he could change a game on a dime. Each of those players had enough skill or drive to be clutch players. Esp come the playoffs.

We won't have that with or leadership group and that is reason enough to move along from this version of the habs.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
2nd round pick at best. I would trade Pleky for a 2019 2nd and another B type prospect. But if a team offers only a 3rd, I pass and wait till the end. One team will give us the 2nd and my request would be a 2019 2nd. I would even dangle one of our goalie prospects with Pleky to see if we can get a 1st... A 1st in 2019 works for me too.
Basically agree...seems to be a lot of teams looking for depth at center this trade deadline. I wouldn't trade Plekanec for less than a 2nd

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I've heard the sharks and penguins come up as potential destinations. Sharks lost thornton for a while, but I don't see how plekanec helps in that regard.... although the sharks are probably just trying to solidify a playoff spot more than going on a cup run.... so maybe.

The penguins have come up, but their aspirations are for a 3peat. I think you have to aim higher than plekanec to get that done, but let's see.

I think this is one of those players that some GMs might be valuing the name more than the kind of player he actually is now. On a true cup contending team, he's a 4th line center who can kill penalties, and step into a 3rd in case of injury.

But if there are GMs pegging him higher, and you can get a 2nd rounder out of it, take the loot, and run fast.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
That is a good point about Plekanec's even strength points per minute. I definitely don't think Pleks has anything left 5 on 5 offensively, as I stated.

However, I do think he would be good on the half wall on the pp. He's too slow 5 on 5, but the extra time and space would allow him to make plays. imo he'd be better than Byron, Shaw (Gallagher and Lehkonen do what he does in front of the net better), and perhaps Danault. I have to see Danault more to see. But with the emergence of Scherbak, Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Mete and Morrow are ahead of Plekanec for the 2nd unit.

At any rate it's really not worth discussing. There will be no evidence either way. I know most poster's don't see it that way and will be looking to troll it. But it's my opinion: Pleks has completely lost it offensively 5 on 5 but could be useful on the half wall on the pp.

It's interesting. I calculated the top point producers ES on the Habs.

Results
1. Gallagher, 21
2. Pacioretty, Danault, Plekanec with 20
Paul Byron has 17, Galchenyuk 16, and Drouin 15

Plekanec gets the most defensive zone starts out of all these players too, which means he has to work the hardest to get the results.

I think there is a misconception about him being unproductive. The team is unproductive. 30 points is not enough for his salary, that's a given, but he probably drives as much offense as anyone else 5 on 5. And kills penalties, still rather well.

I would like to see him finish his career in Montreal, at half his cap hit next year. I know that loyalty is not a part of business though. But I won't throw him under the bus, I think he's been a good soldier, and steady enough since Julien took over, with his defensively stifling hockey.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Basically agree...seems to be a lot of teams looking for depth at center this trade deadline. I wouldn't trade Plekanec for less than a 2nd
So if the best offer you can get for a player who has scored 5 goals this year, is a 3rd rounder...you're not taking that deal?

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's interesting. I calculated the top point producers ES on the Habs.

Results
1. Gallagher, 21
2. Pacioretty, Danault, Plekanec with 20
Paul Byron has 17, Galchenyuk 16, and Drouin 15

He plays almost exclusively at ES...where else is his production supposed to come from?

Plekanec gets the most defensive zone starts out of all these players too, which means he has to work the hardest to get the results.
That's a misconception..

I think there is a misconception about him being unproductive. The team is unproductive. 30 points is not enough for his salary, that's a given, but he probably drives as much offense as anyone else 5 on 5. And kills penalties, still rather well.
You should look at the points per minutes Plekanec has at ES...he's NOT a productive player at ES, be needs A LOT of TOI at ES to produce points. I checked the other day and his points per minute rate at ES is on par with Logan Shaw's.

He is as bad offensively as be is great defensively. That is not a misconception, it is reality. His main value lies in his ability to play defensive hockey almost exclusively...we've been paying him 6M the last 2 years to play strictly defensive hockey, out of fear that if we don't...we'll get killed by top lines.

I would like to see him finish his career in Montreal, at half his cap hit next year. I know that loyalty is not a part of business though. But I won't throw him under the bus, I think he's been a good soldier, and steady enough since Julien took over, with his defensively stifling hockey.
But why??? The Habs can plug in any number of players to do the same job at a fraction of the price...

There is ZERO benefit to keeping Plekanec this year, never mind bringing him back next year.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So if the best offer you can get for a player who has scored 5 goals this year, is a 3rd rounder...you're not taking that deal?
He's been with the team like forever. The 12th leading scorer in our history. To deal him for a lousy 3rd pick? Probably would pass

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's been with the team like forever. The 12th leading scorer in our history. To deal him for a lousy 3rd pick? Probably would pass
Who cares about sentimentality right now...there will be plenty of time to honor him when he's retired.

The Habs have a team to rebuild/retool and every draft pick, even a 3rd rounder, helps.

I sincerely hope management doesn't have this same approach.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Who cares about sentimentality right now...there will be plenty of time to honor him when he's retired.

The Habs have a team to rebuild/retool and every draft pick, even a 3rd rounder, helps.

I sincerely hope management doesn't have this same approach.
How you treat your workers are a factor later on to future players

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How you treat your workers are a factor later on to future players
Has Plekanec been mistreated? He's been well compensated and has been prioritized over every other center.

This has nothing to do with the treatment of Plekanec...it's about the future of this team.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Has Plekanec been mistreated? He's been well compensated and has been prioritized over every other center.

This has nothing to do with the treatment of Plekanec...it's about the future of this team.
Dump a franchise guy for a lousy 3rd? Come on. Let him finish his career in Montreal. We are short at center and it is only 2 or 3 more months

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Dump a franchise guy for a lousy 3rd? Come on. Let him finish his career in Montreal. We are short at center and it is only 2 or 3 more months
Again...I don't care about sentimentality.

You do and I respect that but I think to keep him for the reasons you've outlined, would be insanity.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It would be unforgivable to not trade him at the deadline.

If you're so desperate to be idiots about him. Then re sign him in the off season while comminicating you're giving him a chance to win a cup this year.

But I find it hard to believe it would be about respecting Pleks since they blatantly disrespected a far greater Hab in Markov.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
back next year while the Habs are still in rebuild mode ?

sure, if it means we traded him at TDL and re-signed him on the cheap next summer...

but re-signing him now ?? no thanks....

the guy is 35, Habs will be bad for a few years, no need for him unless it's to mentor the young guys we acquired.
Yes, Pleks can be an assistant coach. But still be the guy on the ice with a minute to go taking the draw. (no matter what the score is) lol

Chelios available?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Danault is ready to assume Plek’s minutes.

I have appreciated watching him for over a decade.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He has to go. And the fact that we're short at center is actually all the more reason to deal him away.

Reactions: 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad