Player Discussion Tomas Plekanec - Plekasex Edition

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Trying to figure out if Pleks is done as an NHLer, at least an effective one.

He still skates as well as he ever has. He is still excellent on the PK.

What I can’t figure out is how he went from a 50+ point player to a 20 point guy while still maintaining the same skating and effort.

I think whoever acquires him will get the 40-50 point Pleks

If Pleks played on the power play, he'd be a 40 point guy. He's one of our top 5 on 5 point guys. But he gets zero time on the pp because they're saving him for the shutdown role. imo he can still be effective on the half wall on the pp.

But I want to move on from him. He's lost a step and is too slow to make decisions, get to the puck, and just create any offense 5 on 5.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I agree, but in the sense that we(older fans) still somehow value a lot of vet experience when we know that after your 30s your body starts to decline even if we don't want to admit it. Even at 32 it would have been better to trade him for a 20-22 year old 2C type guy, maybe a couple draft picks. I don't see anyone giving up their 1st rd draft selections this year, maybe next year to a contender who is drafting 25+ routinely but not this year.

First round late picks are like mid round picks in normal years. I would be happy getting a 2nd and a 4th for him, or a 3rd and a decent prospect. Someone 19 or 20 that is also a good C on a AHL club of an NHL team with lots of centers blocking their path. Pitts would be a good example. No one will displace Crosby and Malkin, so young guys may never get a chance to play C on that team, might as well trade them for a good return.

I would even be OK with sending a pick back, conditional 2nd rounder for a good prospect that again has no chance of playing top 6 on his team but would help us in a couple years.

ETA this is where pro scouting is most important. The need to identify these type of players on the right teams. A byron type that is more useful for very little.
Agree completely. Kinda' sad that the best Habs team we can hope for is the future one stocked with picks and prospects we don't have yet. Okay, it happens to every team. I can live with a rebuild/retool/rethink. But it scares the hell outta' me that our entire future is riding on our scouts. Mesdames et Messieurs, accueillons nos Canadiens hypothétique.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Agree completely. Kinda' sad that the best Habs team we can hope for is the future one stocked with picks and prospects we don't have yet. Okay, it happens to every team. I can live with a rebuild/retool/rethink. But it scares the hell outta' me that our entire future is riding on our scouts. Mesdames et Messieurs, accueillons nos Canadiens hypothétique.
Yep we need our amateur and pro scouts to be better than average for the rebuild to succeed. Regardless of our thoughts on Timmins junior drafting, we will likely look at prospects as well and we need our pro scouts to be really looking hard in europe, russia, and the AHL/ECHL.

Not to bring him up but a DD like player, or other undrafted guys in the system of other teams could be a great benefit IF we see something we need that they don't and we can get as a throw in. Josh Gorges and his 2nd did wonders for us when you compare Rivet going the other way. Not to mention the 2nds we paid for Shaw that could have quickened the rebuild had we kept them, even if we had traded Eller anyway.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If Pleks played on the power play, he'd be a 40 point guy. He's one of our top 5 on 5 point guys. But he gets zero time on the pp because they're saving him for the shutdown role. imo he can still be effective on the half wall on the pp.

But I want to move on from him. He's lost a step and is too slow to make decisions, get to the puck, and just create any offense 5 on 5.
How?

He can't pass or shoot!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Trying to figure out if Pleks is done as an NHLer, at least an effective one.

He still skates as well as he ever has. He is still excellent on the PK.

What I can’t figure out is how he went from a 50+ point player to a 20 point guy while still maintaining the same skating and effort.

I think whoever acquires him will get the 40-50 point Pleks

He just doesn't feel like being one here?

Reactions: Andrei79

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Bergy still wants to sign him again. LMAO!

Plek would make a good 3rd C for at least a year if he is willing to take a steep pay-cut (will have to take one regardless of where he plays). Unfortunately we already have too many 3rd line caliber Cs.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Let's face the facts it's time to load up with draft picks, another 2nd round pick from Pittsburgh, gives Timmins more ammo at the 2018 Entry Draft. One high 1st & 5 - 2nd's will give the Habs some huge depth, it will also mean more icetime for our young prospects. Love Plekanec's game but can't see the Habs making a Stanley Cup run in the next couple of seasons.:(

Reactions: Rapala

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
How?

He can't pass or shoot!

He can, he just can't do it 5 on 5 when there's less time and space to do so. I know most posters see it the way you do. But I think he's actually still good on the half wall on the pp. See his assist on lehkonen's pp goal agains the Rangers in the playoffs last year for an example of what I'm talking about.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
He can, he just can't do it 5 on 5 when there's less time and space to do so. I know most posters see it the way you do. But I think he's actually still good on the half wall on the pp. See his assist on lehkonen's pp goal agains the Rangers in the playoffs last year for an example of what I'm talking about.
that was a set play

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Let's face the facts it's time to load up with draft picks, another 2nd round pick from Pittsburgh, gives Timmins more ammo at the 2018 Entry Draft. One high 1st & 5 - 2nd's will give the Habs some huge depth, it will also mean more icetime for our young prospects. Love Plekanec's game but can't see the Habs making a Stanley Cup run in the next couple of seasons.:(

Well this cements it for me. MB read carefully this was S Bah speaking. We are officially in rebuild mode for the next couple of seasons.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

He was on the pp...and was horrible.
Would he pick up a few more points on the pp compared to just 5 on 5 and pk. ? Probably. But so would I.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Most plays on the pp are set plays.
Yes, the coach is holding back Plekanecs dynamic offensive game.
He should go back to where Therrien had him (sharing with DD) Number one center, pp, pk, 5 on 5 and OT.

Give him all the prime ice time at center.......and he might get "40 points" :laugh: But I doubt it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No...he literally can't shoot and while he can make the odd pass, playing him on the half wall of the PP is about the weirdest idea I've seen.

The type of players who play the half wall are players who are dual threats to shoot or pass...

What fear is a player with 2 goals in his last 40 games going to strike in his opponents?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
back next year while the Habs are still in rebuild mode ?

sure, if it means we traded him at TDL and re-signed him on the cheap next summer...

but re-signing him now ?? no thanks....

the guy is 35, Habs will be bad for a few years, no need for him unless it's to mentor the young guys we acquired.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Plekanec's ES points per minute is on par with Logan Shaw.

Basically, he's one of our top es producers because he plays a ton there, 2nd on the team only behind Pacioretty.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I'm not a huge fan of Plekanec but he's still getting it done. He's a plus guy on a terrible team and he plays a the hardest assignments. Guy is a stud defensively. Too bad he's getting older and his offense is declining but he has value on the market. Pittsburgh is looking for a center that could help them take the heat off of Crosby / Malkin. Perfect fit.

Reactions: voyageur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad