Value of: Tomas Hertl

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think Hertl is more valuable to the Sharks than to any other team in the league. He's their best forward and a fan favorite.
100%. Problem is he's on an expiring contract in his prime years while our team looks to be in a position to sell, and he'll be the most valuable piece to offer.

Reactions: themelkman

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
100%. Problem is he's on an expiring contract in his prime years while our team looks to be in a position to sell, and he'll be the most valuable piece to offer.

Yeah, I understand the risk. Should be easy to retain players in the Bay Area, but the damn taxes sure makes the Seattle Kraken look mighty attractive!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
coming off his 3rd major leg injury, and approaching 30, w >500NHL games on his tires,
Hertl should not return as much as some Sharks' fans will hope

but it only takes one buyer ...

prior injuries:
"Hertl’s rookie season was cut short after 37 games when he had tears to his right medial collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments repaired as a result of a hit by Los Angeles forward Dustin Brown.
Hertl required the same surgery on his left MCL and PCL after the 2015-16 season...."
Big letdown spells defeat for Sharks, who lose Tomas Hertl to injury

You're referencing injuries from 5 and 8 years ago at this point. That's just noise at this point. You either think he's recovered from his latest thing or you don't. Any team interested in Hertl is pretty certain of his health and productivity and will pay accordingly if the Sharks decide to make him available.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
HJertl is soft, and easy to play against. there's a reason the Sharks suck and he is part of it.
Hes one of the most dominant possesion players in the league and often uses his body to protect the puck ala Jagr.

You clearly havent watched him and just think because Dustin Brown targeted his knees to take him out that hes weak.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hes one of the most dominant possesion players in the league and often uses his body to protect the puck ala Jagr.

You clearly havent watched him and just think because Dustin Brown targeted his knees to take him out that hes weak.

Hertl is not taxing to play offense against but he is exhausting to play against defensively.

Reactions: themelkman

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Actually some decent offers in the monthly Hertl thread for once. I’d probably do some of the Rangers proposals, but I can’t see it happening unless Hertl says he’s not resigning here or DW does decide to blow it up and compete, which doesn’t seem like is happening given the Hill trade and recent vet FA signings.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
What in the world? Clearly you've never seen Hertl play. You couldn't be more wrong.

Ignore him. He is a trash poster from the past long forgotten. Essentially like a crazy catlady

200w.gif

Reactions: CanadianSharks

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Ignore him. He is a trash poster from the past long forgotten. Essentially like a crazy catlady

200w.gif
There's having an opinion and there's giving an insincere "opinion" with the intention of getting people riled up. Clearly that poster falls into the latter category.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
You're referencing injuries from 5 and 8 years ago at this point. That's just noise at this point. You either think he's recovered from his latest thing or you don't. Any team interested in Hertl is pretty certain of his health and productivity and will pay accordingly if the Sharks decide to make him available.

Tomas Hertl says he'll be ready for San Jose Sharks camp

He had surgery in February 2020.

His knees ARE a legit concern

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Tomas Hertl says he'll be ready for San Jose Sharks camp

He had surgery in February 2020.

His knees ARE a legit concern

And if you watched him play just this past season, you would've seen that that concern would be put to rest for anyone with reasonable standards for such things. Again, I have no problems with the Sharks giving him an 8x8 contract. I'm not going to pretend like knee injuries from eight and five years ago are actually relevant to today. That injury, yeah, you can point to because it's actually recent but he's played since that and played damn well. I'm not concerned in the slightest. Hertl is just a beast.

Reactions: Gecklund

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
And if you watched him play just this past season, you would've seen that that concern would be put to rest for anyone with reasonable standards for such things. Again, I have no problems with the Sharks giving him an 8x8 contract. I'm not going to pretend like knee injuries from eight and five years ago are actually relevant to today. That injury, yeah, you can point to because it's actually recent but he's played since that and played damn well. I'm not concerned in the slightest. Hertl is just a beast.

8x8

Good luck with that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
8x8

Good luck with that.

Yeah, for a player that produces at a 72 point pace the past three seasons, drives play, is extremely popular to the fans, incredibly flexible, and a pretty damn good playoff performer that makes others around him better. I'd be perfectly comfortable paying him that since that contract will take him until he's 36. I don't think the team will have to pay him that much or that term but I'd be happy with it. He's just that good.

Reactions: Gecklund

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Yeah, for a player that produces at a 72 point pace the past three seasons, drives play, is extremely popular to the fans, incredibly flexible, and a pretty damn good playoff performer that makes others around him better. I'd be perfectly comfortable paying him that since that contract will take him until he's 36. I don't think the team will have to pay him that much or that term but I'd be happy with it. He's just that good.

For context, I don't want to give Mika 8 years.

5 years, absolutely.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
For context, I don't want to give Mika 8 years.

5 years, absolutely.

If being in New York means enough to Mika to take two years less than what he'd get on the open market then that's fine. I would prefer to have less of a term on Hertl but if it happens to be 8 years to get there then so be it.

Id do Greenway+Rask+jones+1st 2022 (top 3 protected becomes 2023 1st if top 3 pick) for kane 50% retained + hertl

The Sharks aren't retaining 50% on Kane. If you're willing to take him on then you're willing to take him at full value because his production is worth that easily. If the Sharks want to get rid of him, they will sit him for the year and buy him out or they'll get a team to take him at a reasonable amount which is full value or with 1.5 mil retained. Nobody retains 50% on this sort of contract.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Id do Greenway+Rask+jones+1st 2022 (top 3 protected becomes 2023 1st if top 3 pick) for kane 50% retained + hertl
This is horrible for San Jose. Say what you want about Kane he was still a near point per game last year. If we gave you both those guys that first would be past 20th overall. Then you add in we are retaining 3.5M and taking a cap dump in Rask?? Where's the value we're getting back?

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
That is insultingly bad

If being in New York means enough to Mika to take two years less than what he'd get on the open market then that's fine. I would prefer to have less of a term on Hertl but if it happens to be 8 years to get there then so be it.

The Sharks aren't retaining 50% on Kane. If you're willing to take him on then you're willing to take him at full value because his production is worth that easily. If the Sharks want to get rid of him, they will sit him for the year and buy him out or they'll get a team to take him at a reasonable amount which is full value or with 1.5 mil retained. Nobody retains 50% on this sort of contract.

This is horrible for San Jose. Say what you want about Kane he was still a near point per game last year. If we gave you both those guys that first would be past 20th overall. Then you add in we are retaining 3.5M and taking a cap dump in Rask?? Where's the value we're getting back?

so greenway jones and a 1st arent value for 1 year of hertl? On top of that taking care of the headache you have on your hands with Kane? Ya, he still scores. But his locker room doesnt want him, he may be getting suspended, and on top of that there was talk about terminating his contract last year... im trying to understand how you think youll be able to trade him at all let alone on his full cap hit.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
so greenway jones and a 1st arent value for 1 year of hertl? On top of that taking care of the headache you have on your hands with Kane? Ya, he still scores. But his locker room doesnt want him, he may be getting suspended, and on top of that there was talk about terminating his contract last year... im trying to understand how you think youll be able to trade him at all let alone on his full cap hit.
This is a thread about Hertl. No one said you had to include Kane in your proposal, and I'm just saying the value is bad. And no...the difference between Hertl and Greenway is more than Jones and a late first.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
A. This thread is about tomas hertl, not evander kane
B. I'm a wild fan
C. No, Greenway and a 1st are not enough for Hertl and Hunter Jones is worthless. He's the 4th most valuable goalie in the Wild org

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

They can get rid of Kane without tanking Hertl's trade value. Greenway, Jones, and a 1st for Hertl is not a good trade for the Sharks on its own. We don't need Jones. That 1st will be in the latter half of the 1st round and Greenway is okay but nothing special or valuable to the Sharks when they have a plethora of wingers as it is in their organization. The Sharks can take care of the Kane headache without taking a deal that doesn't really help them in any real way beyond that.

If his contract gets terminated, that solves the problem for the Sharks in the best way possible. Considering he's now under league investigation, the idea that he gets traded before that is completed and publicized is very likely zero. If he gets cleared by the league, he won't have much trade value but they can either do better than that or they can sit on him until they can buy him out or go another termination route by trying to make him report to the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad