Tom Wilson with a pretty aggressive high stick (suspended 6 games)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'd have started with double digits, but it's the NHL so it was kinda expected.

Would laugh my ass off if NHLPA appealed this, those f***ing :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: seem powerhungry as f*** nowadays.
The NHLPA is a union and kinda has to.

However, they should really address this when it comes to suspensions that occur because a player injured, or attempted ro injury another player.

They're basically saying the player who got suspended is more important than the player that got hurt.

Wilson is a POS, but I don't see how this is 6 games. Yeah, he's got a history, but in my opinion it should have been 2-3 from the in person hearing basically telling him "you know we watch you like a shit hawk"

NHL players are amazingly careless with their sticks.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
They’ll announce no suspension during the 1st intermission and Wilson will descend from the rafters
In a cage, in front of all the townspeople. They'll hand out torches and pitchforks too

I was thinking 10 games, I was expecting less, like 8. 6 games? Seems to be on the low side. Maybe Tom got 2 games off for good behavior since he hasn't been suspended in a while

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
I wonder…is there any chance that the league, while figuring out the punishment on Wilson, spoke to the referee’s on this play. Asked them to explain how they thought that it was just a double minor after reviewing it during the game.

I’m sure nobody is shocked that it ended up being a 6 game suspension. Including the very refs that called it a double minor. Wtf would be their explanation?

Reactions: Dessloch and BTO

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
League is laughable. This is probably one of the worst high sticking offenses I've ever seen. A full wind-up and smashes the guys teeth. There is no explaination of what he was trying to do. Should be Min 10 games. Bush league.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The NHLPA is a union and kinda has to.

However, they should really address this when it comes to suspensions that occur because a player injured, or attempted ro injury another player.

They're basically saying the player who got suspended is more important than the player that got hurt.

Wilson is a POS, but I don't see how this is 6 games. Yeah, he's got a history, but in my opinion it should have been 2-3 from the in person hearing basically telling him "you know we watch you like a shit hawk"

NHL players are amazingly careless with their sticks.
As you mention though the union basically has to represent Wilson. They are essentially duty bound to represent the player if he wants to appeal.

Whereas there isn't really a circumstance for the injured player where the union needs to represent them because the suspension is between the player and the NHL, not player to player.

Reactions: Bartcal and mouser

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
League is laughable. This is probably one of the worst high sticking offenses I've ever seen. A full wind-up and smashes the guys teeth. There is no explaination of what he was trying to do. Should be Min 10 games. Bush league.

I don't disagree because it's an obvious non-hockey play, but I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised he even got 6 games.

About a decade ago Duncan Keith got 1 whole playoff game for his obvious slash to Jeff Carter's face that needed 20 stitches , so I guess progress?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
As you mention though the union basically has to represent Wilson. They are essentially duty bound to represent the player if he wants to appeal.

Whereas there isn't really a circumstance for the injured player where the union needs to represent them because the suspension is between the player and the NHL, not player to player.
100%, but still feels like, I think it's the Simpsons where Homer says something negative about a person aloud then whispers reassurance to said person..

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
He hugged the guy and started apologizing.
That was a nice touch, probably shaved some games off of the suspension.
tenor.gif

Perhaps a Lady Bing nomination is coming as well.

Reactions: Dave92

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
This will only end when the NHLPA becomes ok with the league penalizing players like this drastically. Until then this crap is going to keep continuing.
It will end when the NHL actually punishes players drastically. As a union, the NHLPA is essentially duty-bound to represent players if they want to appeal.

Owners and GMs don't want players out of the lineup for long stretches of time on suspensions and are apparently willing to role the dice it won't be their player on the receiving end.

Shortly after Shanahan took over GMs leaned on him to reduce suspensions. I remember him even talking about discussions for punishment on knee-on-knee hits. Shanny thought the GMs/Owners were being a bit light and was joking "Ok but don't come crying to me if one of your players gets kneed."

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Don't have the energy to look but is the guy in the beginning of the thread going to donate 100$ to charity still?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It will end when the NHL actually punishes players drastically. As a union, the NHLPA is essentially duty-bound to represent players if they want to appeal.

Owners and GMs don't want players out of the lineup for long stretches of time on suspensions and are apparently willing to role the dice it won't be their player on the receiving end.

Shortly after Shanahan took over GMs leaned on him to reduce suspensions. I remember him even talking about discussions for punishment on knee-on-knee hits. Shanny thought the GMs/Owners were being a bit light and was joking "Ok but don't come crying to me if one of your players gets kneed."

And it’s not as simple as the NHL unilaterally making a drastic increase to suspensions. The independent arbitrator is going to consider past suspension precedents in any future suspension appeals by the NHLPA.

That doesn’t mean there isn’t a path forward for the NHL to increase suspension lengths, but they have to navigate the precedent process carefully.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I don't get Tom Wilson. Every time it seems like he's making an attempt to at least try and clean up his act a bit, he'll just randomly go and completely ignore Robert Downey Jr's advice in Tropic Thunder.

Reactions: redbeardtx

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Does DoPS factor the weight of games into their decision?

6 games while the craps are fright there and ighting for their playoff lives in the stretch run of the season seems fine to me, honestly

If this happened in October/November for example, 10 games would have been more sufficient

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
I don't get Tom Wilson. Every time it seems like he's making an attempt to at least try and clean up his act a bit, he'll just randomly go and completely ignore Robert Downey Jr's advice in Tropic Thunder.

Maybe he enjoys hurting people?

Maybe he ripped off wings of butterflies as a kid?

Tommy-boy is not alright and he never will be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad