Tom Wilson with a pretty aggressive high stick (suspended 6 games)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
These players really don't care if they get suspended, especially the ones on fat contracts. It's the NHL punishing them not their peers, coaches, bosses. The NHLPA and the team always fight for the player that got suspended and stick up for them. "We got your back."

The have nothing to lose and don't feel punished at all unless the actual team or coaches come out and try to say something to the player. But no, the teams usually stick up for the offender.

As I mentioned earlier, the NHLPA is effectively duty-bound to represent the player if they want to appeal. That doesn't mean it's an endorsement of the behavior. It's one of the functions of the union.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
If Wilson was truly surprised that he did that then that is even more alarming. He is clearly then not in control of his actions on the ice. It is not like the actual act just randomly hit the dude in the face. Wilson clearly swung right towards his head.

Again not defending Wilson, glad he got suspended but its not like this was McSorely or Neids freaking out and tomahawking someone.

We've seen accidental/careless high sticks before. They felt this was less severe then Kassian on Gagner. Feels like the right call was made.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Whatever you say. Leafs have the second most suspensions under Parros. Does that match your worldview for a team I'm told is soft?

You can still be soft and do dumb shit. High sticking someone in the head after scoring a goal, or cross checking someone in the neck (Matthews on Dahilin) has nothing to do with being soft or not. The victim mentality is something else, man.

Reactions: clmetsfan

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Considering they have the most despicable and morally corrupt captain, does it surprise you? (on top of that - that captain always sticking up and never calling out Wilson)

Taking drive by potshots at Ovie too I see (as if he has any control over Wilson). Way to stay on topic. Your dislike of the Caps is showing. I thought your name and avatar looked familiar, but now I remember you from some past threads.

• Haha
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it seems so silly that "repeat offender" status can expire. And of course it is like this because of the NHLPA, who routinely make decisions for money instead of player safety.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The NHLPA is a union and kinda has to.

However, they should really address this when it comes to suspensions that occur because a player injured, or attempted ro injury another player.

They're basically saying the player who got suspended is more important than the player that got hurt.

Wilson is a POS, but I don't see how this is 6 games. Yeah, he's got a history, but in my opinion it should have been 2-3 from the in person hearing basically telling him "you know we watch you like a shit hawk"

NHL players are amazingly careless with their sticks.

That’s not what unions do.

They worry about money. Injured players don’t mean anything to the union because injured players still get paid and therefor still pay dues to the union..

Suspended players don’t.

Once you understand that, you’ll see why they advocate against suspensions and don’t care about injuries

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

They worry about money. Injured players don’t mean anything to the union because injured players still get paid and therefor still pay dues to the union..

Suspended players don’t.

Once you understand that, you’ll see why they advocate against suspensions and don’t care about injuries
I fully understand what a union does. I'm just pointing out the irony of it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

Suspended players don’t.

They don't advocate against suspensions, they are duty bound to represent players if that player chooses to appeal.

For an injured player there is no sort of equivalent process for the union to be involved with. The union also has no mechanism for punishing players as it's not their function. It's only the NHL that has the power to punish players.

You're attributing intent and feelings to something that is not in their purview.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
2 min was enough. It's happening on every team.
Kochetkov made much more aggressive and dangerous move. Luckily Carlson fell safely. No one talking about it.
Considering they have the most despicable and morally corrupt captain, does it surprise you? (on top of that - that captain always sticking up and never calling out Wilson)
Are you talking about Sid? Which is chopping fingers and nuts, smashing rookies head, crying and whinning like a baby. And then nominating for Lady Bing. That corruption did you mean?

Last edited:

Strangle

May 4, 2009
They don't advocate against suspensions, they are duty bound to represent players if that player chooses to appeal.

For an injured player there is no sort of equivalent process for the union to be involved with. The union also has no mechanism for punishing players as it's not their function. It's only the NHL that has the power to punish players.

You're attributing intent and feelings to something that is not in their purview.

The argument that people intend to make concerning unions and player safety infractions comes from the mistaken belief that the union is there to keep the best interest of the players in mind, that the union is the great empowerer of the worker, fighting against the oppression and injustice of the evil corporation

I’m just pointing out that when the aims of the union aligns with the aims of the players (IE, making sure the union gets paid) then they act in the benefit of the player.

If the players interests do not sign with the unions interests (IE, making money for the union), then they don’t have any say

People just act as if the union should care about the quality of life of their members. They don’t and you’re right, that’s not in their purview

That’s the same for all unions, it’s a common misconception and union propoganda that you’ll hear directly from the mouths of unions, even

Just wanted to make sure we all know that all a union cares about is their dues, and not the worker. The worker is a resource to them. That’s all

Reactions: Reaper45

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
I dunno, Marchand got 6 games for what he did to Jarry which realistically had an absolute zero% chance of causing injury and was just plain stupid.

If that were his first time doing something, I doubt that’s even remembered/suspended never mind given the same thing Wilson was just getting for swinging his stick as hard as he can at someone’s head, knocking out all of his teeth.

So it’s hard to say Marchand wasn’t affected by his reputation

The most erroneous of Marchand's suspensions was only 5 games for his flying elbow on Marcus Johansson that concussed him. That was an outrageously dirty play.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Again not defending Wilson, glad he got suspended but its not like this was McSorely or Neids freaking out and tomahawking someone.

We've seen accidental/careless high sticks before. They felt this was less severe then Kassian on Gagner. Feels like the right call was made.
Usually the accident is that the stick accidentally hits the person in the face. From Wilson's reaction it seems like he is surprised that he swung the stick at the dude's head, because the swing itself was no accident and went right towards the head.

Are you talking about Sid? Which is chopping fingers and nuts, smashing rookies head, crying and whinning like a baby. And then nominating for Lady Bing. That corruption did you mean?
I think he probably meant support for someone that we are not to mention on here. But sure, that's morally equivalent to slashing during a hockey game.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
LOL, the DOPS and the NHL are a bunch of panzies that are trying to show a certain population of people in the world that they care for player safety to keep them quiet...

The reality is that the NHL, the NHLPA and many of its members don't give a crap about player safety.

Wilson needs to be treated like Raffi Torres and be run out of the league and a job.

Wilson has proven time and time again that he intentionally attempts to injure his fellow union members, is reckless in his approach to fellow human beings and does not deserve to be playing a sport for millions of dollars anylonger.

Punt this clown out of the game once and for all already.

Tom Wilson intended to injure the opponent on this play 100%

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
I hate Wilson as much as the average hockey fan, but this is the right take.

He was obviously in an uncharacteristic "wtf did I just do, sorry dude" moment. I'll give Wilson the benefit of the doubt this time.

6 games is a wildly excessive punishment, based purely on reputation. Once more, DoPS is all over the map.
How on earth is a dirty, reckless play in any way uncharacteristic for Wilson?

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
The argument that people intend to make concerning unions and player safety infractions comes from the mistaken belief that the union is there to keep the best interest of the players in mind, that the union is the great empowerer of the worker, fighting against the oppression and injustice of the evil corporation

I’m just pointing out that when the aims of the union aligns with the aims of the players (IE, making sure the union gets paid) then they act in the benefit of the player.

If the players interests do not sign with the unions interests (IE, making money for the union), then they don’t have any say

People just act as if the union should care about the quality of life of their members. They don’t and you’re right, that’s not in their purview

That’s the same for all unions, it’s a common misconception and union propoganda that you’ll hear directly from the mouths of unions, even

Just wanted to make sure we all know that all a union cares about is their dues, and not the worker. The worker is a resource to them. That’s all
That's quite the political rant. Your hate for unions is clear but your imagined understanding of their true selfish desires have nothing to do with the Tom Wilson suspension or the NHLPA.

In these threads about suspensions people often try to shift the blame to the NHLPA, when that's somewhat like blaming public defenders for not doing enough to fight crime because they represent the perpetrators of crime. It's quite literally their job.

Reactions: Block

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That's quite the political rant. Your hate for unions is clear but your imagined understanding of their true selfish desires have nothing to do with the Tom Wilson suspension or the NHLPA.

In these threads about suspensions people often try to shift the blame to the NHLPA, when that's somewhat like blaming public defenders for not doing enough to fight crime because they represent the perpetrators of crime. It's quite literally their job.

Yea, well Noah Gregor is a member of the NHLPA too. Sadly, they care more about a player's bank accounts than a player's health.

Reactions: PBandJ and Strangle

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Yea, well Noah Gregor is a member of the NHLPA too. Sadly, they care more about a player's bank accounts than a player's health.

Not even the players bank accounts. All they care about are their own bank accounts

Gregor’s safety isn’t at all their concern, they’ll always blame the league for players safety, while standing in their way to remove dangerous players

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

I explain the actual role of the NHLPA in these situations and your response is to ignore it and parrot your preconceived notion about the union. cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad