Tom Wilson with a pretty aggressive high stick (suspended 6 games)

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Then why not post the entire sequence so people can have some context?

It was a stupid and dangerous play for sure but you can see from Wilsons reaction he knew he f***ed up as soon as it happened. He hugged the guy and started apologizing. But from 1.5 seconds that you posted it sure seems like it could have been intentional.

Many people here do not need much to jump on Wilson hate like cats in heat. When something like this is posted its just inflammatory. Tells the whole story is all i'm saying.
I hate Wilson as much as the average hockey fan, but this is the right take.

He was obviously in an uncharacteristic "wtf did I just do, sorry dude" moment. I'll give Wilson the benefit of the doubt this time.

6 games is a wildly excessive punishment, based purely on reputation. Once more, DoPS is all over the map.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
6 games is a wildly excessive punishment, based purely on reputation. Once more, DoPS is all over the map.
IMG_3496.jpeg

they all agreed to do it this way

BB79

Apr 30, 2011

He was obviously in an uncharacteristic "wtf did I just do, sorry dude" moment. I'll give Wilson the benefit of the doubt this time.

Really? I thought it was slightly lenient. I was thinking 8-10. If the NHL was serious about avoiding another Bertuzzi-Moore/McSorley-Brashear incident they'd come down harder.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I'm certain that a select few people would have preferred Wilson get nothing just so they could keep up the victim complex.

Reactions: SupremeNachos

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Probably not one of the top 15 most dangerous things Tom Wilson has done illegally in the NHL. Six games seems about right.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Barnum

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

No chance. Wilson did the act much like all of his other actions, without brainpower and self control. Regretted the result perhaps, hence the reaction. It hardly atones for his pattern. The act alone was worth 6 games regardless. Reputation is what should have made it longer.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
Gimme your 1-10 rating on the DoPS for consistency in doing "it this way".
There aren’t that many chronic repeat offenders who have really tested out the progressive punishment scale.

Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Daniel Carcillo, Brad Marchand, Tom Wilson, maybe a few more. I’m expecting Rempe to join the list.

Of those, I feel like Marchand never really got what he deserved. Good players like him generally get off lighter. But I actually think progressive punishment is something DoPS does pretty well overall.

Sometimes people compare unlike incidents and then claim inconsistency. Like I think you even replied how crazy it is to compare what Wilson did to McSorely or Bertuzzi. There’s a reason why there so many different levels of penalties for most offenses.

But on other issues, especially boarding, DoPS is wildly inconsistent. On ice refs are really doing a bad job handling majors and match penalties.

Overall, if I’m judging the DoPS by their mandate in the CBA (below), I’d give them a 7.5. The game still feels exciting to watch - partly because of the risks and the fights - but also the overwhelming number of players don’t push it too far. And when they err, it’s because they’re too lenient. For example, I thought they should’ve gone after Trouba a long time ago for the way he snuck those elbows in to otherwise clean hits (I think he stopped doing it so much)

IMG_3501.jpeg

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
There aren’t that many chronic repeat offenders who have really tested out the progressive punishment scale.

Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Daniel Carcillo, Brad Marchand, Tom Wilson, maybe a few more. I’m expecting Rempe to join the list.

Of those, I feel like Marchand never really got what he deserved. Good players like him generally get off lighter. But I actually think progressive punishment is something DoPS does pretty well overall.

Sometimes people compare unlike incidents and then claim inconsistency. Like I think you even replied how crazy it is to compare what Wilson did to McSorely or Bertuzzi. There’s a reason why there so many different levels of penalties for most offenses.

But on other issues, especially boarding, DoPS is wildly inconsistent. On ice refs are really doing a bad job handling majors and match penalties.

Overall, if I’m judging the DoPS by their mandate in the CBA (below), I’d give them a 7.5. The game still feels exciting to watch - partly because of the risks and the fights - but also the overwhelming number of players don’t push it too far. And when they err, it’s because they’re too lenient. For example, I thought they should’ve gone after Trouba a long time ago for the way he snuck those elbows in to otherwise clean hits (I think he stopped doing it so much)

View attachment 840271
I dunno, Marchand got 6 games for what he did to Jarry which realistically had an absolute zero% chance of causing injury and was just plain stupid.

If that were his first time doing something, I doubt that’s even remembered/suspended never mind given the same thing Wilson was just getting for swinging his stick as hard as he can at someone’s head, knocking out all of his teeth.

So it’s hard to say Marchand wasn’t affected by his reputation

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Uncharacteristic?

Showing remorse after you've snapped and took a baseball swing at a player's head doesn't make it ok. It's just another sign that he loses control of his emotions out there and tries to injure people.

I don't understand what the benefit of the doubt is. The puck is nowhere nearby. This was an intentional swing at a player and an obvious non-hockey play. The intention is pretty clearly to inflict pain.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
These players really don't care if they get suspended, especially the ones on fat contracts. It's the NHL punishing them not their peers, coaches, bosses. The NHLPA and the team always fight for the player that got suspended and stick up for them. "We got your back."

The have nothing to lose and don't feel punished at all unless the actual team or coaches come out and try to say something to the player. But no, the teams usually stick up for the offender.

Reactions: Dessloch

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
I dunno, Marchand got 6 games for what he did to Jarry which realistically had an absolute zero% chance of causing injury and was just plain stupid.

If that were his first time doing something, I doubt that’s even remembered/suspended never mind given the same thing Wilson was just getting for swinging his stick as hard as he can at someone’s head, knocking out all of his teeth.

So it’s hard to say Marchand wasn’t affected by his reputation
Shit for some reason I spaced and thought he just got a fine for that lol
That changes the equation a bit

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Crap sake, there is no way to defend what Wilson did. He clearly did it on purpose. Multiple replay angles show the incident. There is no way he swings his stick like that and hits the player's face accidentally. The feigned concern after the incident was laughable. Given his history 6 games is a light punishment.

Signed, a Tom Wilson fan who is capable of recognizing reality even when a player I enjoy watching transgresses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad