Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
The NDA's decision reinforces my view that the next CBA should provide greater clarity to the disciplinary process. These cases require an element of "judgment," where a presumably independent expert weighs the evidence, but lodging responsibility for the first level of appeal in the commish is wacko. Particularly when that person heads up the organization that employs the individuals who populate DOPES.

The NHLPA also cites Parros' testimony that the day before the DPS hearing on this incident he was at an unrelated meeting at which the Commissioner said something to the effect: "You're going to do the right thing or Do the right thing."

Sounds like strong guidance from your boss. What kind of organization tolerates that?

Also, if the Commish continues to be involved in this process, the NHLPA's position on the next CBA should require that he makes up any contributions that the Emergency Assistance Fund loses when his decisions on suspension appeals are reduced. Clearly he's not doing his job if he can't get it right, so he should pay just like a player has to.
I love seeing info that proves my point of Bettmen being the 1st step of appeal is just wasting time and he is not being unbiased in his decisions. Also puts some merrit behind any DoPS head being little more than a figurehead.

What happened when Wilson did the same thing last year?
NHL isn’t as serious about head trauma with Boros as they are Wilson. The guy looked right at another player and popped him in the face with an elbow. First suspension or not that has to be worth more than the game he got. I wish Boros would go after the league because I’m pretty sure Eakin did not miss any games so his jump from 1 to 4 games is disputiable now right?

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's clearly a clown show in the DOPES office, and Parros is officially re-confirmed as Bentmans puppet. Parros should just quit as he is doing nothing more than overseeing an intern who creates mind numbing slower than slow motion videos, and dubbing in his voice.

So life begins on the edge of 1 questionable hit = 40 games. And it literally took less than 1 period for his body to make contact to someones head. Clearly the official didn't buy into Willy as the innocent victim, guided and pushed by the former Flame Gary Suter. An official calling a penalty where someones head gets hit, shouldn't that have automatically pinged Bentmans Parrot Parros, especially since its a repeat offender? Short players can now to try to check Willy and feign head injury and he will be suspended before the guy hits the ice. A nice late game playoff stunt to try. Refs and Bents will buy in hook line and sinker - I guarantee it.

The Wilson penalty and suspension charade parade continued in the first period of his first game back. You cannot make this stuff up. I cannot ever recall a goal scored and the goal scorer going straight to the penalty box. The goalie used to always be fair game immediately after a goal is scored even without a defenseman's hand in the play.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They had a pretty long conversation about Wilson on Hockey Central -podcast. They basically said that they knew it was very likely that the suspension would be reduced because of precedence. They also said the entire process made the league look absolutely ridiculous that it took 6 weeks to conclude, and they were calling for a change to this process.

After that they started talking about Wilson in general. They mentioned about the team being pushed around and how he's going to turn it around. Pretty high praises among those on Wilson as they literally called him a beast that changes the dynamic of a team. Basically said that a guy that big shouldn't be able to skate like that and said that a guy that big who can generate a force like that out there are Lindros -like. I think that was Colby Amstrong (?) who said that and then someone replied that he's a monster who you don't see in the game these days. That's why he stands out.

They basically finished that by saying that 30 teams are calling for this guy to get thrown out of the league and at the same time they are telling their scouts to go find them a player like that, but there really just isn't any.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think its safe to say Willy is not going to be as effective being a deterrent in the short term. He has to use his fists, or as we saw last night, butt checks.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Its sure looking that way. Teams have been taking liberties with us and the league is allowing it. It started in game one when Marchand jumped Eller.

Yeah that was bizarre. I do not understand why a player is allowed to simply grab another player and start punching him in the face with no supplemental discipline.

So Tom Wilson can randomly grab Connor McDavid and put his fist through the back of his skull. He gets a 2 minute instigator but otherwise it's all good.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
10 solid minutes of Wilson talk on the latest 31 Thoughts podcast - and the conversation isn't necessarily what you think. The reference to Brian Burke is interesting, if a bit unsurprising.
What did they discuss?
Never mind I ended up listening to it myself. They actually said good things about Wilson. They agreed that he is a unique player in today's game. And apparently teams are looking for Tim Wilson like prospects but there aren't any out there.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Do you guys think Wilson's offensive production is sustainable? He is getting huge minutes and a lot of power play duty.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Do you guys think Wilson's offensive production is sustainable? He is getting huge minutes and a lot of power play duty.

I think its fair to predict he'll have a large jump in his PPG numbers over his career average. This past year, he's developed into a much more well rounded player and he was given more ice time as he fit on the top line between 8+92 like no other player has. Doubt he'll finish at a point per game, but a big jump from past production is expected here. Missing 16 games, his totals may not be as good but his ppg will be solid.

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
I was one of those who didn't think Wilson would put up enough point production to justify 5+ million, but if his presence makes Ovechkin skate like he has, maybe he will? The parallels with Marchand are kinda there, where they paid him for his defensive duties in the top 6 and got rewarded with a bit more offense than they could've hoped for.

Also in amusing Wilson news, Chris Kuc has been struggling a bit to gain traction writing for the Athletic about the Caps, getting between 10-20 comments on his articles. He wrote an article about Wilson yesterday, just a pretty straight-forward interview piece, and it has over 200 comments, mainly from Islander fans still bitter about Visnovsky.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What did they discuss?
Never mind I ended up listening to it myself. They actually said good things about Wilson. They agreed that he is a unique player in today's game. And apparently teams are looking for Tim Wilson like prospects but there aren't any out there.
There are hardly any in the NHL either in terms of all-around game. Josh Anderson seems like the closest fit currently. Everyone else somewhat close either aren't as fast, as big or don't PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad