Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Every time there is an RFA I like, I start wondering if an offer sheet is in the works.

I call it Scott Stevens Phobia. I would believe it never happens if my favorite player wasn't snatched away.

Don't even think about it, GEORGE. GM of the year. What a joke.
They still need to reup Karlsson and Theordore, even a $4M AAV could be too much for them.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
DhIvbd3X4AEvksK.jpg:large

fwiw here are the teams that can offer such and such for wilson. ignore the isles thing, i grabbed it off something else

Jun 15, 2007
They still need to reup Karlsson and Theordore, even a $4M AAV could be too much for them.
Clarkson is on LTIR. They have the space, the picks and the grudge. Obviously that doesn't mean they will do it.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Clarkson is on LTIR. They have the space, the picks and the grudge. Obviously that doesn't mean they will do it.
Now that is circumventing the cap, I know it’s extremely legal but that’s the tricky cap thing that annoys me

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's so rare that it happens.... does he actually have to sign, for us to have to match the offer? FWR, I thought he just had to get an offer to put the pressure on us.

One could see how it would cause bad blood in the room, to ink it and they end up back with the team.

Barring an outlandish offer, I tend to think he wouldn't ink it, given the option to go back to back with Ovi. But an outlandish offer is what he would likely get, after adding cup winner to his resume.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jun 15, 2007
5x5.5 is a pretty outlandish offer considering every 'insider' says we're looking at 3.5 to 4.5m

I'm not saying it's gonna happen but it's a possibility. And of course Wilson can just take the unsigned offer sheet to GMBM and say look at this. Pay me 5m or I sign it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wilson is coming back. They are negotiating, and they will get it done. Caps drafted him way above his ranking and made him a Cup champ. They passed on arbitration to work with him in good faith. I don’t believe he’d sign an offer sheet at this point unless it was totally outrageous.

Every year there is dear that an rfa will kill us or walk. It never happens. It won't this time.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Every year there is dear that an rfa will kill us or walk. It never happens. It won't this time.
UFAs don't really get away either, Huet is the last guy I remember that they wanted

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
It's so rare that it happens.... does he actually have to sign, for us to have to match the offer? FWR, I thought he just had to get an offer to put the pressure on us.

One could see how it would cause bad blood in the room, to ink it and they end up back with the team.

Barring an outlandish offer, I tend to think he wouldn't ink it, given the option to go back to back with Ovi. But an outlandish offer is what he would likely get, after adding cup winner to his resume.
I believe he has to sign an offer sheet, it wouldnt Make sense otherwise

Jun 15, 2007
“Ahem, upside”??

Guy’s a tool.
What he means is: Tom Wilson injures players. It's not polite to acknowledge that this helps the Caps but it does, especially in a 7 game series. How much value you put on that is up to you.

Jun 15, 2007
I was referring to your assumption that I needed his meaning explained to me. I don’t agree with him.

I'm confused. Which part do you not agree with?

You're saying Wilson doesn't injure players or that it doesn't have value?

Because both of those things are true for me. Wilson's hit on Visnovsky removed their most experienced PMD from the series.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'm confused. Which part do you not agree with?

You're saying Wilson doesn't injure players or that it doesn't have value?

Because both of those things are true for me. Wilson's hit on Visnovsky removed their most experienced PMD from the series.
I don’t agree that the injuries are where Wilson’s value stems from. I believe, as I’ve stated clearly several times, that he brings a lot to the table without that. Indeed I hope he never injures anyone again. That would only increase his value because it would reduce his likelihood of penalties/suspensions.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Focusing on Wilson injuring a few players over 5 years in the course of racking up large hit counts is statistical folly as well as asinine whiny crap that opposing fans do.

Any Caps fan who knows what he/she is looking at can rattle off plenty of other stronger and much more relevant skills or values.

Jun 15, 2007
I don’t agree that the injuries are where Wilson’s value stems from. I believe, as I’ve stated clearly several times, that he brings a lot to the table without that. Indeed I hope he never actually injured anyone again. That would only increase his value because it would reduce his likelihood of penalties/suspensions.

It's not his main value but it's certainly part of it.

@RandyHolt noticed that after Oshie launched himself at Letang in a (in my opinion illegal but not suspendable) way, Letang played like crap for the entire rest of the series. That includes two terrible goals in game 5 that Letang's brain went missing on.

@g00n

He doesn't actually have to injure players that often. The fear of a Tom Wilson hit is enough sometimes.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Focusing on Wilson injuring a few players over 5 years in the course of racking up large hit counts is statistical folly as well as asinine whiny crap that opposing fans do.

Any Caps fan who knows what he/she is looking at can rattle off plenty of other stronger and much more relevant skills or values.
In 10 full playoff series, Visnovsky - career ending injury, Aston-Reese - broken jaw, Dumoulin - probable concussion, Marchessault - had to leave game, level of play fell off. These were all turning points, impactful plays no one else could make in 40% of the series in which he has had a chance to make an impact and doesn't count stuff that lingers like the previous post about hitting Letang. And he did that to the Pens in 3 games!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Wilson's hits hurt. Badly. That's more than enough to create fear, panic, and a loss of confidence without anyone being injured. Oshie's hit is the perfect example. Letang didn't leave the game or even miss shifts. No injury. Fact is 9.78 out of ever 10 Willy hits are of that variety and have the same effect individually and cumulatively. Folks just focus on the injuries because they are dramatic and result in penalties and suspensions.

(Also you forgot Wennberg.)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
In 10 full playoff series, Visnovsky - career ending injury, Aston-Reese - broken jaw, Dumoulin - probable concussion, Marchessault - had to leave game, level of play fell off. These were all turning points, impactful plays no one else could make in 40% of the series in which he has had a chance to make an impact and doesn't count stuff that lingers like the previous post about hitting Letang. And he did that to the Pens in 3 games!

Were those the only injuries sustained by anyone on either team in 10 playoff series? What is the ratio of hits to injuries for each player in those 10 series?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Were those the only injuries sustained by anyone on either team in 10 playoff series? What is the ratio of hits to injuries for each player in those 10 series?
The other injuries that I recall this year where guys had to leave the game in playoffs were for Kuzy's and Backstrom's wrists, and those were awkward hits more than dirty or excessive, and Oshie broke Miller's nose but I don't think he missed a shift. The Wilson hits are a different breed, like the Aston Reese hit, he hits ZARs shoulder, then his jaw, turns him into a lower case r, then Wilson leaves his feet. What kind of force is that? If ZAR disappeared I'm not sure Wilson doesn't go like 20' in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad