Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You really think Ovy doesn't go home before 40 to finish out his career there? If he stays, he's chasing that goal record for sure....fingers crossed, but I wouldn't bet on him doing that today.

Yes and yes. I see him playing til 40. I see him chasing the goal scoring record. I see him chasing more championships. For me the difference in this season Ov compared to previous Ov is significant.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Yes, Miami ish. This is where Sergei was born. IIRC Kozy has a place there and has for a long time. Feds maybe too. Russian winter or Miami?? Not a hard choice

Judging by all the former Canadians also living there, that's one thing they can agree on.

But me personally? I kinda miss having winters, at least the ones in the DC/mid-Atlantic area

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Back to the topic of Tom Wilson: I feel like he's been around the net even more since he came back. Always thought it would be good to have him play similar to Knuble. He can score on the rush with his skating but even going back a few seasons I noticed his ability to deflect pucks was above average. He was especially good during the cup run.

He's also been runner over goalies more than before but has done a good job of minimizing the impact.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Back to the topic of Tom Wilson: I feel like he's been around the net even more since he came back. Always thought it would be good to have him play similar to Knuble. He can score on the rush with his skating but even going back a few seasons I noticed his ability to deflect pucks was above average. He was especially good during the cup run.

He's also been runner over goalies more than before but has done a good job of minimizing the impact.

Right now Oshie plays the slot role on the PP and it works, very well, but Oshie takes a pounding in that role and it might extend his career a bit longer if he gave up that duty to TW. I could see Oshie on the boards on the 2nd PP unit(Kuzy/Backie slots) and TW in the slot on PP1 as a workable combination, but I doubt the coaches would see it like that.

If TW could land PP1 minutes where Oshie has been, TW can make that jump into 60+ pt range and the main boards will simply melt down.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
If TW could land PP1 minutes where Oshie has been, TW can make that jump into 60+ pt range and the main boards will simply melt down.
And it will be glorious. Speaking of, kinda surprised there wasn't a thread about him from the Rangers game. He did have the audacity to knock a couple guys down and score a goal from the turnovers it created. Someone somewhere must've been butthurt about it.

Before this season, I would've said the easy answer was to put Willy in Connolly's spot but with Conno playing so well and Oshie getting abused so much the coaching staff should at least entertain the idea of letting him take some time away from #77 there.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oshie gets beat up at even strength and the Caps pp has been lost since Oshie was lost. Wilson doesn't need pp1 minutes anyway. Connolly is going to stay on pp2 with the way he has played.

Wilson's even strength production will be enough to create the desired meltdown

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I don't get it. Am I wrong? Didn't want to offend.

What did you imply? That it would be hard for Ovi to work in Russia?! Like uncomfortable?

Moscow born guy with legendary status and recognition on every level? He doesn't need to work at all. Does Gretzky work?

Ovi can just do what he wants with his family for the rest of his life. But I could see him being a hockey TV analyst guest star :P

Maybe President of all Dynamos in the world. Whatever.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
With respect to Wilson’s ascension and his contract, I’ve just been reading up on the Pygmalion Effect, and I couldn’t help but think of good ole Tom.

Essentially, it’s a phenomenon where people’s expectations of a person’s performance can influence said performance.

With a younger guy like Wilson do you think the love fest within the locker room and the subsequent high dollar contract from management have raised his ability to meet loftier expectations? You can almost feel the team and org spurring him on to higher achievement.

Obviously, it doesn’t always turn out that way but in this case I almost feel a tangible enhancement in Tom’s game because the people close to him believe in him.

Probably a little long winded and kooky but, hey, it’s food for thought...

(This post would have been better if I simply posted the damn diagram and didn’t explain it , but I swear my phone won’t let me do it haha.)

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
There's a lot of talk on this forum about how much hate Willy gets on the NHL forum, but there's also a sizeable contingent of old school non-Caps fans that love his game. He's such an anachronism now, he's drawing fans from all over.

Just not Long Island.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
With respect to Wilson’s ascension and his contract, I’ve just been reading up on the Pygmalion Effect, and I couldn’t help but think of good ole Tom.

Essentially, it’s a phenomenon where people’s expectations of a person’s performance can influence said performance.

With a younger guy like Wilson do you think the love fest within the locker room and the subsequent high dollar contract from management have raised his ability to meet loftier expectations? You can almost feel the team and org spurring him on to higher achievement.

Obviously, it doesn’t always turn out that way but in this case I almost feel a tangible enhancement in Tom’s game because the people close to him believe in him.

Probably a little long winded and kooky but, hey, it’s food for thought...

(This post would have been better if I simply posted the damn diagram and didn’t explain it , but I swear my phone won’t let me do it haha.)

I think that in general, support/belief is ofc very important, but much more as a necessary condition, rather than a sufficient one.
Expectations are trickier, because those can easily have the opposite effect.
Compare Wilson and Bura, for example.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Im personally still waiting for @Bananas diagram

I hadn't heard of the "Pygmalion effect", but apparently google did.

4678e27de99b1038722d1f8554908566_1453245365_cropped.jpg

fixed_tom_wilson_suspension_update_16x9_1920x1080_1346594371936.jpg

pygmalion_effect_2.gif

thumb.aspx

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Tom Wilson will play his 400th NHL RS-game against Devils next friday.

During those 400 RS games he has been suspended 0 times. In his 62 playoffs games he has been suspended once. Repeat offender my ass.

In, what, 20?, preseason games Willy has been suspended 3 times. Dont dress him up for preseason games, ok?

I have over 150 Tom Wilson hockey cards. Thats sad. But also cool.

Willy had 2+1 against the Islanders yesterday. Thats not suprising as Islanders has always been action packed team for him. He has most number of fights against specific team against them (6). We all remember case-Visnovsky. In his first game ever against Islanders Willy scored his first goal and first asssist in NHL. He seems to be findig his way to score sheets against them quite often too. No wonder they dont like him there.

One of the Islanders players he fought was Mike Halmo, who also wore number 43 then. That isnt much to remember as Halmo was way above his head with Willy. Native Finnish team Ilves from Tampere signed Halmo for this year. He had huge preseason, but that havent carried on to the regular season. He is still good second-third liner here.

Ovie tied Iggy in all time goals list last night. Couple years ago Iggy tried to fight Willy, but Willy respected the veteran too much to really get into it. Iggy truly was a player to be respected.

Willy now has 41 goals and 65 fights in NHL. On his rookie or sophomore year or something Steve Ott was mic’d up and he trashed Willy not being worth of his time, on his usual chatter ways. On that conversation he also pragged with 100 goals and 100 fights. That has stayed in my head since, it really does sound cool. Willy will get there. Thats cool. Otter is now assistant coach in St. Louis. 3/4 Willys suspensions and 3/3 preseason suspensions has been against the Blues. Otter was entertaining guy to watch.

Edit. Lets add that Willy has a fight against 28/31 teams in the NHL. Missing from the list are Vegas, Wings and, obviously Caps.

Just couple small things out of hundreds of moments Willy has given us. Could text out an hour of things that pop in my head, but lets leave some for game #500 (though we will propably have plenty more by then). We are lucky to have him, and so is NHL.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Speculating - but I think the plan was to give him some PP1 time this year. Which may have spurred a bit of the now famed pigmallion effect.

What's the point of using Oshie there exclusively there all year anyways? It allows for ZERO backup reps in case Oshie gets injured. This all a dress rehearsal for 5 months from now anyways. PP1 doesn't have to be the same 5 guys IMO. You toss bones out to other players and watch the pigs fly.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wilson is a distraction every time he's on the ice. Having him on the PP might cause the PKers to forget about Ovie for a split second here and there. That's something the PP can take advantage of.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Wilson is a distraction every time he's on the ice. Having him on the PP might cause the PKers to forget about Ovie for a split second here and there. That's something the PP can take advantage of.

Yep. And maybe it's a good way to help keep him out of trouble, and keep him focused. Who gets suspended for actions when on the PP?

I really wish he got a hat trick last night. As many said, Ovi getting the ENG was a perfectly fine consolation, though. As his quest to prove he is the greatest pure? goal scorer of all time continues. Can you only imagine how many goals he would have had playing along side the great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad