Under 4 is good
Under 4.5 is fair
4.5-5 overpayment but grudgingly accept
5+ whelp

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Brooks Laich was good. He had a five year stretch averaging 20 goals/48 points. The Caps had three forwards this season that exceeded that. He just never could regain his form after the groin injury.

For some reason there's a group of hockey fans that dislike players who talk a good game.

GMGM had about 15 mistakes that were more destructive than the Brooks Laich contract.

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Brooks Laich age 22, 23 seasons: 146 games, 15 g, 24 a
age 24 season: 82 games, 21 g, 16 a, 17.2% shooting, -5.3 relative Corsi

Tom Wilson age 21, 22 seasons: 164 games, 14 g, 28 a
age 23 season: 78 games, 14 g, 21 a, 11.4% shooting, 3.1 relative Corsi

Laich has a fluky good season when everyone was playing out of their minds, next year he's on a line with Fedorov and Semin and gets a ton of time on PP1, next 3 years he's put in a position to succeed surrounded by high end offensive talent. I think there's a lesson in the offensive comparison between he and Wilson but other teams probably didn't mind playing against Laich, no one wants to play against Wilson, that's what you're paying for.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapsJunkie

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Brooks Laich age 22, 23 seasons: 146 games, 15 g, 24 a
age 24 season: 82 games, 21 g, 16 a, 17.2% shooting, -5.3 relative Corsi

Tom Wilson age 21, 22 seasons: 164 games, 14 g, 28 a
age 23 season: 78 games, 14 g, 21 a, 11.4% shooting, 3.1 relative Corsi

Laich has a fluky good season when everyone was playing out of their minds, next year he's on a line with Fedorov and Semin and gets a ton of time on PP1, next 3 years he's put in a position to succeed surrounded by high end offensive talent. I think there's a lesson in the offensive comparison between he and Wilson but other teams probably didn't mind playing against Laich, no one wants to play against Wilson, that's what you're paying for.

This sounds like a lot of reaching just to diminish his numbers. You're essentially calling him a passenger/parasite for four years.

Watch some older goal footage. I talked a lot of shit about him in the later years, primarily because his talk didn't match his walk anymore, but he had great hands....his wheels just gave out.

He was a good garbage man and decent scorer from in close. Probably his biggest asset, other than being in the right place at the right time (a function of understanding the flow of the game) might have been his ability to get off a good shot around the net regardless of angle. These end up looking like fluky goals but when you keep doing it for years it's no longer luck.

The players around him shouldn't be a negative on his record.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
This sounds like a lot of reaching just to diminish his numbers. You're essentially calling him a passenger/parasite for four years.

Watch some older goal footage. I talked a lot of **** about him in the later years, primarily because his talk didn't match his walk anymore, but he had great hands....his wheels just gave out.

He was a good garbage man and decent scorer from in close. Probably his biggest asset, other than being in the right place at the right time (a function of understanding the flow of the game) might have been his ability to get off a good shot around the net regardless of angle. These end up looking like fluky goals but when you keep doing it for years it's no longer luck.

The players around him shouldn't be a negative on his record.
I definitely think he was a passenger for 4 years (59 point peak season was solid). If you look back at the GMGM era I think he didn't identify who were the passengers all those years so he overrated his own guys and never had the space to fix any holes with UFAs under 35. Laich has the groin excuse but why did Green's numbers fall off a cliff? Boudreau's system and peak Ovy lifted all boats and now you've got to pay these guys eating off two guys locked up for a decade. When GMBM signed Mojo to a 3 year deal, clear sign he felt he was feasting off those guys' wake. On one hand maybe the delay for Wilson indicates GMBM sees him as a passenger, on the other he said he prefers a longer deal.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Laich was definitely a passenger on those Capitals teams, especially at even-strength. He had pretty darn good powerplay numbers during his peak years, but his ES figures were never outstanding. His ES play wasn't horrid, but it certainly wasn't anything to write home about.

Wilson is somewhat the opposite, where his production this season was almost exlusively even-strength.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Last edited:

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
what would the compensation be if a team signed Willy on an offer sheet? Like lets say a hurting Islander team with lots of cap space? would be cheap right?

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
Would be riot just to see Islander fans throwing up all over themselves....lol....

Aisles don't have the picks needed for compensation (assuming the offer is in the $4,059,323 - $6,088,980 range). Interesting item is that Tom's hometown team has the necessary picks as well as cap space.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Every time there is an RFA I like, I start wondering if an offer sheet is in the works.

I call it Scott Stevens Phobia. I would believe it never happens if my favorite player wasn't snatched away.

Don't even think about it, GEORGE. GM of the year. What a joke.

Jun 15, 2007
McPhee could offer sheet Wilson 5x5.5m

It would be a tough situation. Obviously Wilson at 5.5m AAV is hard to swallow but giving up our 1RW for a late 1st and 3rd is hard to swallow too.

Of course I think Wilson wants to stay here and won't sign that offer sheet...yet. If negotiations drag on it might happen.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->