Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
And those people agree with the pricetag you're putting on him. There are people in the thread saying things like "5m all day long" and "he'll be worth 7 in a couple years." And a couple people are responding with, "That's a little much. Here are some reasons I lean more toward 4m than 5+." And those are critical things because that's how you justify paying a guy less.

Then it's, "Those are NEGATIVE things! Tom is awesome! You're a hater! Your reasons to pay him 4m are dumb. Only MY reasons to pay him 4m make any sense!" It's a lot of quibbling over nothing.

There is no set scale. Even if people agree on a price if they disagree on the reasons then there may be a legitimate debate about it. Just calling everything "not real" is not debate, nor is taking stats out of context.

Regarding your multiple complaints about 5m and 7M deals in this thread there were two posters who threw out those numbers 2 weeks ago and most everyone shot them down at those numbers so I'm not sure why you're still arguing about it.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Re: Laich comparisons, Laich was 28yrs old and an established 20 goal guy right up until his 6 year contract before the injuries hit. He only played 9 games the following season, then 51 and 66 his last 2 years as a Cap. His contract term was long and he got hurt. It's also not the only example in history of something like that happening.

But why focus on that, except to paint a negative picture?

Nobody in history has ever doubled goals every 2 years in his early 20s and continued to develop as a top line forward? How do people propose the Caps negotiate with the Wilson camp, by saying "we don't think he's proven anything, and we aren't going to pay for a guy we think might be the next Brooks Laich". Yeah that'll go over well.

Man those groin injuries...Laich was fast as hell and one of those 'speeds creating havoc' type players before that injury derailed his career. Sutherby being another one where a groin injury derailed a career. Probably a bit of stat inflation with a rebuilding club and a lower line player getting more top line minutes but still from my recollection a noticeable difference between pre and post Laich groin injury.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I post about once every other day, only when I feel strongly about something. Replies get wordy when I feel misunderstood or compelled to defend a point. I apologize if that bugs you. I'll work on it.
It doesnt bug me. So you dont need to apologize. It just seemed you were going on a bit of a rant. We all do that at times.
Everyone has their own opinions and you aren't going to agree with all of them. Everyone has different preferences in players. I prefer solid 2way players throughout the lineup. And I dont think any player should get a free pass for being lazy or selfish. I also like guys that can play physical. They dont have to all hit like Wilson but I feel any NHL player should be able to deliver and receive a hit.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Laich was solid 2way player, specifically middle-6 winger.
He was our Beagle (left handed) before Beagle at PK.
And he had a role at PP too (before Mojo and current scheme generally).

Solid player to have certainly.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Maybe they should sign Wilson for 5-6 years, keep him for 4 or so, while he's at his peak, then trade before they have to sign him again for overpayment.

Generally, have him at good price for all the peak years while Ovi is here and then.. see what's better for the club.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
A client tried to fax me today. A fax? Therefore, I think Willy contract looks like:

(8.5 x 11)(fax paper dimensions) - (3 x 5)(postcard I got earlier) = 5.5 x 6 This coincidentally is the same numeric formula which got me rather buzzed yesterday watching the rain (Paulaner ABV x 6).

When you adjust for the 2 decades when these forms of communication were used with a 'Stuck in the Past' multiplier of .2 (for my personal enjoyment, we'll call this the 'Ill Communication' factor). This yields a Tom Wilson contract:

4.5 x 5 (I rounded down for local discount and wishful thinking)

Welcome to Science.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Its a shame that the post injury "Lady's Man" and the tire change is all some people can remember about that guy. pk1. pp2. all three forward positions and was a pretty good defenseman as well.

I will mostly remember him for his behavior after Caps traded him. Was demanding the Leafs play him (even though he was terrible on their farm team) or deal him too. His 'true colors' were suddenly revealed when the situation wasn't in his favor any longer. A delusional, pushy egomaniac!

Oh this is a Willy thread. I love Willy. :D

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I followed brooks laich for far too long on social media. I kinda used it as a science experiment in the end. That’s over now fortunately.

He is a freak and his posts/relationship weird me out beyond comparison.

I hope to go I never see anything with him in it again.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I will mostly remember him for his behavior after Caps traded him. Was demanding the Leafs play him (even though he was terrible on their farm team) or deal him too. His 'true colors' were suddenly revealed when the situation wasn't in his favor any longer. A delusional, pushy egomaniac!
He's hardly the first player to request a trade after losing out on playing time. The guy is a competitor and wants to be on the ice, not in the press box. I don't think that puts a negative light on him, at all.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Never fault a player for trying to prolong his/her career and earning power. That's their life's mission and main source of income.

Fault those who keep hiring them well beyond expiration.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

He was just fighting for a spot in the lineup. He never said he deserved it, but he wanted a chance to prove the coaching staff he still had something.

I hope Wilson has the same impact on the youth as Laich had.

Reactions: calicapsfan

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Yeah, whatever. He went all Hollyweird and got shown the door!
He should've worked his ass off on the farm and mentored the kids there instead of crying, complaining and demanding shit he doesn't deserve. Nobody has to play you just because its your dream. Entitled phoney with a bad groin. :rolleyes:

Still not as bad as Brouwer.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He should've worked his ass off on the farm and mentored the kids there instead of crying, complaining and demanding **** he doesn't deserve. Nobody has to play you just because its your dream. Entitled phoney with a bad groin. :rolleyes:

You sound a bit angry.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He should've worked his ass off on the farm and mentored the kids there instead of crying, complaining and demanding **** he doesn't deserve. Nobody has to play you just because its your dream. Entitled phoney with a bad groin. :rolleyes:

Seek help lol...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I'd hate to be a player you don't like lol.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Got most of Oshie for Brouwer, Laich cost a 2nd to get rid of.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Laich had 30 points in 51 playoff games for us before the injuries.

Brouwer chipped in 9 points in 35 playoff games as a Cap.

Brooks at least gave us something before he got hurt and could only talk a good game.
Biggest mistake GMGM made besides the Forsberg trade was believing Brooks Laich's stat line meant he was good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad