Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yep. And maybe it's a good way to help keep him out of trouble, and keep him focused. Who gets suspended for actions when on the PP?

I really wish he got a hat trick last night. As many said, Ovi getting the ENG was a perfectly fine consolation, though. As his quest to prove he is the greatest pure? goal scorer of all time continues. Can you only imagine how many goals he would have had playing along side the great one.

I have no proof and am not going to research it, but something tells me Marchand would be a candidate for doing something suspension-worthy during a PP. lol

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
This is getting embarrassing. Its the finest sports, up your's, in years.
Ray Lewis is 2000 was the greatest, it changed the way I consumed sports media, every time they’d show him dominating the person doing the highlights would sound more and more resigned like this guy doesn’t deserve his success or even an opportunity. Vick too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam Spade

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
if you are referring to my post, every point that Wilson puts up is a thumb in the eye to the haters

Derp, now I get it. Reading is fundamental.

And yeah, TW is giving his haters a poop sandwich for dessert every game, without the bread. Maybe, just maybe, Stanley Cup winning GM Brian MacLellan knows a little more about value of his players than the teenagers on the main boards do?

Reactions: calicapsfan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I know we all wanted Willy back but did anyone truly expect this offensive outburst from him? Its like the playoffs never ended. And he fixed the PK. And he still has great hair.

:bow:

So much goodness about this whole thing. If nothing else, it re-affirms our collective faith that GMBM is a genius and knows when to hold em, and when to fold em, and how much a player it worth. If he keeps this up, TWs contract will become a steal, pretty soon, not just in 6 years.

tenor.gif
tumblr_ov7lg2Q7ma1tmupmbo1_500.gif
tumblr_olt0wnJUDF1w6x4uao2_400.gif
tenor.gif

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I have no proof and am not going to research it, but something tells me Marchand would be a candidate for doing something suspension-worthy during a PP. lol

I have no proof and am not going to research it, but I recall one of Marchand's licking incidents was on the pp

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I have to wonder what the conversation the team leadership had with Willy was after getting the suspension. It had to be that he's more effective for the team if he's on the ice and he should work hard on the non hitting part of his game and making better decisions. What ever it was he's still the physical threat he's always been but a significantly bigger threat offensively than he's ever been.

The 0 regular season suspensions stat mention above is mind boggling.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'd like to give myself a pat on the back for Willy's development. Clearly it was my undying loyalty and my "No Skill Willy" schtick that did the trick. You are all welcome.

But seriously, this is why I (and others - Ridley, g00n, txmd) was so adamant about giving this kid time to show what he's capable of. He is a rarity in today's game and has the potential to be a game-changer for this team for years to come.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
At the time, I definitely thought Oates was doing him harm and that he’d have been better off going back to juniors and playing top line minutes. Who knows? Maybe he’d have gotten to this point a bit faster if he had, though at this point, who really cares? But in my defense, assuming Oates was wrong was generally a good bet.

Reactions: Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd like to give myself a pat on the back for Willy's development. Clearly it was my undying loyalty and my "No Skill Willy" schtick that did the trick. You are all welcome.

But seriously, this is why I (and others - Ridley, g00n, txmd) was so adamant about giving this kid time to show what he's capable of. He is a rarity in today's game and has the potential to be a game-changer for this team for years to come.

How daaaaare you cheaply lay claim!

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Jfc, realized only Backstrom was on the team when league suspended Ovi's reckless abandon style (Campbell colarbone case). Time flies by.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I have to wonder what the conversation the team leadership had with Willy was after getting the suspension. It had to be that he's more effective for the team if he's on the ice and he should work hard on the non hitting part of his game and making better decisions. What ever it was he's still the physical threat he's always been but a significantly bigger threat offensively than he's ever been.

The 0 regular season suspensions stat mention above is mind boggling.

Reirden said this last week that Wilson worked on his own at great lenth on his catching and shooting. Specifically being able to shoot pucks off passes in hard to manage spots. This was work, Reirden said, that really could only be done at the lenth it was if he was not playing. So, this may well be a direct result of his suspension.

As to staying on the ice, I think the team and Wilson knows the league has moved the goalposts on them multiple times. I think the team has told him to setup a couple steps away from the line for now and play it safe. I think full throttle Willy stays away til the playoffs

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Well, 12 points in 24 games has him already on a 40pt pace.

He missed 18 of those 24 games. His personal pace is 1.5 ppg which would project to 96 point pace over the course of his possible 64 games this season which I believe is a more accurate method. Nobody thinks he'll maintain this pace but it would have the benefit of watching the entire HF main boards completely lose their collective ****.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wilsonmania is awesome, but just a reminder that he's shooting 28.6% right now. While he's likely (hopefully) better than his career 8.5% shooting percentage, it's same to presume that his shooting percentage is going to regress significantly towards the 11.4% mark he shot last year (or within a few% of it, at the very least).

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

I remember being so pissed when McPhee took Wilson over Teravainen when Teuvo was still available at the #16 pick.
(I mean can you imagine a draft where you get Forsberg and Teravainen in the same draft? Especially considering the Caps
were so strong to being with? Insane). But I couldn't be more happy for being wrong.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I remember being so pissed when McPhee took Wilson over Teravainen when Teuvo was still available at the #16 pick.
(I mean can you imagine a draft where you get Forsberg and Teravainen in the same draft? Especially considering the Caps
were so strong to being with? Insane). But I couldn't be more happy for being wrong.
I mean, Teravainen put up 64 points last year. He's been pretty darn good since arriving in Carolina.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
ES GF/60:
Tom Wilson: 5.6
Mikko Rantanen: 4.7
Nathan MacKinnon: 4.4
Connor McDavid: 3.4
Auston Matthews: 4.3

ES GA/60:
Tom Wilson: 2.8
Mikko Rantanen: 2.4
Nathan MacKinnon: 2.9
Connor McDavid: 3.1
Auston Matthews: 4.3 (yikes)

D-Zone starts :
Tom Wilson: 58.0 %
Mikko Rantanen: 41.9 %
Nathan MacKinnon: 42.9 %
Connor McDavid: 44.1 %
Auston Matthews: 37.6 %

Godly. Shame the league took his Art Ross away.

By the way god damn does sheltered Auston Matthews absolutely bleed goals against.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wilsonmania is awesome, but just a reminder that he's shooting 28.6% right now. While he's likely (hopefully) better than his career 8.5% shooting percentage, it's same to presume that his shooting percentage is going to regress significantly towards the 11.4% mark he shot last year (or within a few% of it, at the very least).

His hot start has him pacing for at the end of the season at 20 goals and 40 pts. He has 6 goals in 8 games. I think anyone thinks that is going to continue. But 40pts? sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad