Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I predict 3x5 for Willy.

Why? I got a postcard today with the same measurements.

/logic
323DE764-4FE3-4568-8B04-11586A0A470B.jpeg

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I would be shocked if he didn’t.

Also filing for arb means he can’t be offer sheeted.
Color me shocked.

The only leverage Wilson's camp gains from refusing arbitration is that it keeps the possibility of an offer sheet open. If he files for arbitration, he can no longer sign an offer sheet. I'm guessing Wilson's agent was guessing that arbitration would not be kind to Willy, given his boxcars, and that he would have more leverage via the threat of offer sheet.

Granted, Orlov passed up arbitration last year and signed a fair deal with the Capitals, so fingers crossed.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Color me shocked.

The only leverage Wilson's camp gains from refusing arbitration is that it keeps the possibility of an offer sheet open. If he files for arbitration, he can no longer sign an offer sheet. I'm guessing Wilson's agent was guessing that arbitration would not be kind to Willy, given his boxcars, and that he would have more leverage via the threat of offer sheet.

Granted, Orlov passed up arbitration last year and signed a fair deal with the Capitals, so fingers crossed.
It likely means the team and Wilson are closing in on a deal.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think both sides are playing hardball on this one. I think all parties want a fair deal for Wilson which is one that makes him happy here, and not something based off of leveraged technicalities or powers.

Maybe if there are some comparable arbitration cases coming up they might wait to see how those shake out before averaging the RFA years into a deal, but that's about it, imo, when it comes to involvement in the arb process.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It likely means the team and Wilson are closing in on a deal.
They can still complete a deal even if he files for arbitration. The hearings don't occur until sometime in August, and then there's 48 hours after the hearing before the result is handed down. The player and team can agree on a deal at any point between now and the result being handed out.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
players with equal or less ESG than Wilson according to Quant

Statsny
Killorn
Pearson
Reinhart
Larkin
Granlund
Perry
Forsberg
Palmieri
Scheifele
Parise
Miller
Stamkos
Simmonds
Backes
Tuch
Ladd
Zetterberg
Galchenyuk
Lindholm
Steen
Getzlaf
Stepan
Hagelin
Turris....

Reactions: Stan Galiev

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
possible but not likely. gmbm said the caps wanted long term deal, wilson camp wanted short
I haven’t read anything saying his rep doesn’t want a long term deal. The only thing I’ve seen is his agent knows they want a long term deal. Where did you see that they don’t want one?

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
They can still complete a deal even if he files for arbitration. The hearings don't occur until sometime in August, and then there's 48 hours after the hearing before the result is handed down. The player and team can agree on a deal at any point between now and the result being handed out.
Understood, often though if a player who is eligible doesn’t file for arbitration they feel comfortable with negotiations and the framework of a potential deal.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Arbitration most likely wouldn't have helped him. And he should think long and hard about the deals being offered because the trajectory he established this year is 100% reliant upon him keeping the 1RW spot. It's certainly his spot to lose at this point, but if Kuzy and Ovi keep even a portion of the 200ft games they adopted in the playoffs, Wilson's utility on their line becomes far less clear.

There's 3 or 4 guys on the roster that can push him for that spot. Without Ovi and Kuzy, Wilson will turn back into a pumpkin. He's a great player and I'm a big fan, but it's contract time now; time to be realistic about his actual value.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Arbitration most likely wouldn't have helped him. And he should think long and hard about the deals being offered because the trajectory he established this year is 100% reliant upon him keeping the 1RW spot. It's certainly his spot to lose at this point, but if Kuzy and Ovi keep even a portion of the 200ft games they adopted in the playoffs, Wilson's utility on their line becomes far less clear.

There's 3 or 4 guys on the roster that can push him for that spot. Without Ovi and Kuzy, Wilson will turn back into a pumpkin. He's a great player and I'm a big fan, but it's contract time now; time to be realistic about his actual value.
These two things are mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
A long term deal for Willy at, say, 5m per, has the potential to be the best or worst contract on the team in a couple of years. Power forwards are SO hard to project. Especially for a guy like Wilson, whose breakout happened playing with Ovie and Kuzy. Would he be the same player at 3RW? Probably not. And he's not replacing anyone on the PP. His PK is certainly appreciated, but if he doesn't continue to gel with the first or second line, he's could turn into a liability quickly.

Or he could continue to grow as a player for a couple of seasons and put up 50+ points regularly while keeping his edge. Who knows? Power forwards are impossible to predict.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
A long term deal for Willy at, say, 5m per, has the potential to be the best or worst contract on the team in a couple of years. Power forwards are SO hard to project. Especially for a guy like Wilson, whose breakout happened playing with Ovie and Kuzy. Would he be the same player at 3RW? Probably not. And he's not replacing anyone on the PP. His PK is certainly appreciated, but if he doesn't continue to gel with the first or second line, he's could turn into a liability quickly.

Or he could continue to grow as a player for a couple of seasons and put up 50+ points regularly while keeping his edge. Who knows? Power forwards are impossible to predict.
PP2 has been a black hole forever. I wouldn’t mind seeing them stop trying to create a mimic of PP1 and instead out together a formation that works for the guys who actually play it. That could open a spot for Willy in front of the net.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
PP2 has been a black hole forever. I wouldn’t mind seeing them stop trying to create a mimic of PP1 and instead out together a formation that works for the guys who actually play it. That could open a spot for Willy in front of the net.

Agreed.

The one exception was when they let Kuzy run PP2 while Mojo was still taking a PP1 spot. That PP2 unit was as effective as PP1 on at least 1/3 of the teams in the league.

But yes, I'd be happy to see PP2 structured to fit the talents of the personnel available rather than trying to mimic PP1.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Jun 15, 2007
Kuzy should play the entire 2 mins. PP2 sucks because no one can gain the zone. Kuzy does it effortlessly.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They may want both PPs running the same way in case of injury

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
possible but not likely. gmbm said the caps wanted long term deal, wilson camp wanted short
Can you link to a quote of him that says this? What I saw from his press conference made it sound like he wanted a long-term deal and hadn't talked at length to Wilson's agent yet, so he would have to see what they wanted.

Caps GM provides Wilson update
“There's a trade-off,” MacLellen said, asked if the team prefers a longer extension or a bridge. “I would like long-term, but we’ll see what his representatives want to do. I'd prefer to keep him around for as long as we can.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad